MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Its like having a pulse on the institutions and I get to see a variety of work by peers. Most of all I think more transparency is better

Bingo about the transparency. Without this forum, for example, I never would have found out approximately how many people school X interviews for their program Y, because they don't usually release that info to prospective students. It's wonderful to be able to talk to people who are going through the same thing and have done so before; we can share information with each other that's difficult or impossible to find elsewhere.

Edited by canarybones

as anyone heard from the SAIC Photo department? How can you assume your out of the running if NO ONE has heard?

Somebody said they got a letter in the mail a couple of days ago for a SAIC interview. I believe the student going for photo. Perhaps it is still early and letters are still being sent or decisions still being made. I believe SAIC has a large program and may take awhile to choose all those invited to interview.

as anyone heard from the SAIC Photo department? How can you assume your out of the running if NO ONE has heard?

So included in the interview request letter I received for painting, SAIC also included a generic form, which also listed where/when the interviews for the other departments would be taking place. The inclusion of that letter leads me to believe that SAIC may have sent out all the letters because it would seem presumptuous to send out those interview dates without even notifying the candidates of those respective programs. This was also about a week ago and the painting dept is the largest, with two days of interviews, while other departments have one. I hope this is helpful!

hi nishtha. SAIC sends all notification through the mail so hopefully your letter is making its way to you in India!

thx hdsl.. i sure hope so..but after reading cchua's post,,i think its time to strike SAIC out of my list..

So included in the interview request letter I received for painting, SAIC also included a generic form, which also listed where/when the interviews for the other departments would be taking place. The inclusion of that letter leads me to believe that SAIC may have sent out all the letters because it would seem presumptuous to send out those interview dates without even notifying the candidates of those respective programs. This was also about a week ago and the painting dept is the largest, with two days of interviews, while other departments have one. I hope this is helpful!

So, I've been ogling people's signatures around here and thinking about this whole process more and more, noticing when someone is a finalist at one prestigious school but hasn't heard back from another (when interviews have already been scheduled).

I feel the same. This can simply refer us to the fact that how definition of “great” or “creative” art can be different in each school’s viewpoint.

I feel the same. This can simply refer us to the fact that how definition of “great” or “creative” art can be different in each school’s viewpoint.

More than that, the same school could be interested in your work one year, and not feel it the next. I think that there is definitely a good amount of luck of the draw that goes into all of these decisions. The school's viewpoint changes every year, it depends so much on who the current students are and what kind of work the other applicants do.

Congratulations Womp_womp on UCSD! :)

Edited by kazoo

LoloLauren, how did MassArt let you know?

I applied to for mfa in painting but haven't heard anything.

I also got notified by MassArt through e-mail for interview for 2d program. Double check your mail and maybe spam box, It came through slideroom I believe.

More than that, the same school could be interested in your work one year, and not feel it the next. I think that there is definitely a good amount of luck of the draw that goes into all of these decisions. The school's viewpoint changes every year, it depends so much on who the current students are and what kind of work the other applicants do.

True Kazoo, the definition of "creative" is likely to vary between schools.

I was watching this brilliant video [recommended to all designers, and artists in general] - the first thing Beirut says, is that he's not a creative person. As the lecture proceeds you understand [not surprisingly] that the exact opposite is true - yes he is, extremely creative. Only not in the "classic" sense, not how we are used to define creative people.

Still, this makes me wonder - if I would state in an interview that "I am not a creative person and do not remember to have any personal projects or anything to say" [quoting Beirut himself] - would the school consider accepting me? Probably not.

It’s my first year applying to grad school, and I’m really feeling and experiencing your words now!

Anyway, another weekend is coming and I heard nothing from the schools this week..

Hi LoloLauren, I got a letter in the mail last Saturday from the SAIC Photo Dept. I hope yours is taking the circuitous route to your mailbox!

Best of luck!