MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Yeah, I just talked to them too. Super quick. Pretty basic questions. I feel fine about it.

Hope you're finger's doing ok!!!

I just finished up an interview with University of Oregon.

overall I feel good about how it went. I was on speaker phone and had a hard time hearing them.

Simple questions.

also I was a little preoccupied by the pain from slicing open my finger from a new chisel this morning.

Thank god i didnt cut any nerves or tendons. getting the stiches was the most painful part. oieeeeeee.

:wacko:

@ berto and liam.zev - What programs were you applying to at U. Oregon? I was told that painting applicants would be notified mid-to-late March...

@ berto and liam.zev - What programs were you applying to at U. Oregon? I was told that painting applicants would be notified mid-to-late March...

I applied in sculpture.

I don't know what the time frame for painting is, but I know somebody who applied in painting and he has yet to hear back (so you're not alone!).

Edited by liam.zev

Yeah, I just talked to them too. Super quick. Pretty basic questions. I feel fine about it.

Hope you're finger's doing ok!!!

cool!

they seemed super nice right?

Sculpture. whoop whoop

cool!

they seemed super nice right?

Super nice. I couldn't really tell which one was which, because they sounded pretty much the same on speaker phone (kinda fuzzy...).

I applied in sculpture.

I don't know what the time frame for painting is, but I know somebody who applied in painting and he has yet to hear back (so you're not alone!).

Sculpture. whoop whoop

Awesome! Thanks! I was just about to give up hope :)

I received an e-mail with a pdf version of a letter that has also been mailed to me from my top choice program today.... Stating that I have been placed on a waitlist. It also states that there are less than 10 spots this year, a huge number of applicants, and that the waitlist is very short.

Aaaannnd that it could be several weeks before they know *my* status. oy ve.

Trying to stay optimistic.... I have yet to receive a real rejection yet, so I should be so lucky, right? But this one school is the absolute perfect fit for me and I can't help but hope that one or a few of those accepted pick a different program or just simply drop of the face of the earth.

Sorry for being secretive - if you want to know which school it is you can PM me. I am weirdly superstitious

Edited by Mindfields88

I'm thinking I've been universally rejected, but I'm about to start building a studio on family land so I don't feel too terrible.

Congrats on the studio space. Sounds like a fun project. I've been looking at grants and residencies because I am starting to feel the same way about universal rejection. Sigh.

Question: Is anyone having difficulties making work during this intense waiting game? My productivity has been transferred into checking my email every few minutes while in the studio... I think I need to start leaving my laptop at home :)

Question: Is anyone having difficulties making work during this intense waiting game? My productivity has been transferred into checking my email every few minutes while in the studio... I think I need to start leaving my laptop at home :)

CCA is an absolutely amazing MFA program. Just sayin

Oh no!! Too bad! How did you hear about it?

Oh no!! Too bad! How did you hear about it?

it was actually weird and humbling... The interview started by the director of the program saying they (the committee) had just finished looking at my work for the tenth time, and that they found my work to be REALLY strong and after one question they told me I don't need an MFA. She told me to email her the invitation for my first exhibit. I told hear she would be the first on my list.

Anyone heard from Rutgers who designated sculpture as a concentration?

I applied for sculpture at Rutgers, but have not heard anything. There are a few that have heard from them, but I'm not certain of their concentration.

it was actually weird and humbling... The interview started by the director of the program saying they (the committee) had just finished looking at my work for the tenth time, and that they found my work to be REALLY strong and after one question they told me I don't need an MFA. She told me to email her the invitation for my first exhibit. I told hear she would be the first on my list.

That's certainly nice her! Good luck! In my interview the program director also said she really liked enjoyed reading my statement and looking at my work... but now I don't know what to expect!

Aww, that's really sweet actually. I wish all these rejections were like that. (Though I'm sure after spending the time and money on the application, it would have helped to know that beforehand.)

Honestly, I think that's the main thing missing from all of this: the realization that people are still people. I think it speaks wonders of the program to have them be so invested in you - someone whom they aren't taking on - to let you know why they aren't accepting you and to give you some encouragement despite that fact, rather than just sending a generic "we have many qualified applicants, blah blah blah."

Edited by miyamoto81

I applied for sculpture at Rutgers, but have not heard anything. There are a few that have heard from them, but I'm not certain of their concentration.

I was told by Anine Wagenhoffer, the Administrative Assistant at Mason Gross that "decisions happen from the middle to end of March"-- exact words. Keep in there!!