MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

The roller coaster continues: (finally!) got my rejection email from NYU, but also got an acceptance for Cal Arts! Up and down and up and down!

Also, no word from UCLA, though knowing they've scheduled interviews, I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I'm thinking that everywhere else might be a no for me at this point - thank the gods I applied to so many schools. It really gave me a lot more options than I would have had otherwise.

And congratulations Babar_Suleman on the Carnegie Melon acceptance, that's a great program!

The roller coaster continues: (finally!) got my rejection email from NYU, but also got an acceptance for Cal Arts! Up and down and up and down!

!

Also, no word from UCLA, though knowing they've scheduled interviews, I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I'm thinking that everywhere else might be a no for me at this point - thank the gods I applied to so many schools. It really gave me a lot more options than I would have had otherwise.

And congratulations Babar_Suleman on the Carnegie Melon acceptance, that's a great program!

What program for Calarts? How did you find out? O an congrats!!!!!!

Edited by l'artiste

What program for Calarts? How did you find out? O an congrats!!!!!!

Thanks! I got an email from them that said that a decision was made on my account. I then had to login to a secure page, request a new password, and then you find out. Now, I also interviewed via Skype about a week or so before the "interview day" of March 8th, so I don't know if that is a factor. Regardless, y'all should be hearing soon!

Ahh, and I applied for the general Studio Art MFA program.

Edited by miyamoto81

Thanks! I got an email from them that said that a decision was made on my account. I then had to login to a secure page, request a new password, and then you find out. Now, I also interviewed via Skype about a week or so before the "interview day" of March 8th, so I don't know if that is a factor. Regardless, y'all should be hearing soon!

Ahh, and I applied for the general Studio Art MFA program.

Does it mean that you login in to this page "https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=calarts"

and the decision will be shown???

I am so nervous!

Does it mean that you login in to this page "https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=calarts"

and the decision will be shown???

I am so nervous!

No, it's a different site - I don't think a decision will show up on your application site . . . In the email they send, they give you a pin number and without that pin, you won't be able to log on. So unfortunately, you have to wait for them. I'm sure you'll be hearing soon though! My fingers are crossed for you!!

just got an email, accepted at Claremont Graduate Univ... It feels great to get an acceptance after the long period of endless silence

That's awesome, congratulations! Here's to the end of silence!

people are really starting to freak out! I just took a 3hr nap in the middle of the day purely to pass the time faster, the time difference is killing me haha

cxxxxx, yea..the time difference is killing me too!!!!!!! I have 16 hours time difference...omg

people are really starting to freak out! I just took a 3hr nap in the middle of the day purely to pass the time faster, the time difference is killing me haha

Oh man, yeah, the time difference has been killing me too. I spend all morning checking my email relentlessly, even though I know its still night time in the US!

Expected upenn rejection. Cant believe its the middle of the week already!

Thanks! congrats to you too. You seem to have tons of acceptances! :D Made a decision yet?

just got an email, accepted at Claremont Graduate Univ... It feels great to get an acceptance after the long period of endless silence

Congrats, ol'spice!! That is great news. The silence definitely needs to come to an end, it's decision time.

So how many of you are actually planning to teach?

I find that I'm becoming increasingly cynical :(

sympatico, I absolutely want to teach for a number of reasons. Send me a private message if you want to chat about it. I know it's a lofty goal and I'm not expecting to land an awesome teaching job right away. I'll take opportunities as they come to me. Residencies, adjunct teaching positions, etc. Most importantly, I'm going to make sure I have some studio space after I finish grad school so that I can keep my studio practice going strong.

What's causing your cynicism?

thank you! And congratulations on your Cal Arts admission! that's awesome (you have a bag full of them, but I'm a bit jealous at your CalArts one)

Thanks! I am very grateful for how well my work has been received, though like I said before, I think that I got in a lot of places because I had a wide range of schools that I applied to. I think that Cal Arts might be the only "top" school that takes me, so if I had applied to only schools in the top 10, I may have only gotten in one place. So it's relative to a certain extent.

And while I am super excited about getting into Cal Arts, I really don't know if I can afford to go there. I've gotten some pretty hefty financial offerings from some other places, those will be hard to turn down. Though, I am also thinking about the long last effects on my career . . . I dunno . . .

Thanks! congrats to you too. You seem to have tons of acceptances! :D Made a decision yet?

Thanks! I have actually had to make one decision already in turning down a program who wanted an early decision. I have places that I am leaning towards, but nothing definite yet. We'll see . . .

sympatico, what do you want to do, do you want to teach or just do your work? We've had this conversation before, but these things are a journey. I really, really hope that if it doesn't work out for you this time around that you don't give up. I think I told you, it took me years and years of struggle to get to where I am. And look at it this way: if you just want to do you work, you sure as hell don't need a MFA to do so. And if you want to teach, there are other ways of doing so without a MFA. Have you considered schools that have a rolling admissions, like the Art Center or even Montclair State in NJ? Those might be some options?

It kills me when I see people lose hope, mostly because I've been there so many times, I know how it feels all too well. There are always ways of making your dreams come true. It might be hard, but there are still ways.

Edited by miyamoto81

continue to teach, that is (for me)... I've taught for 6 years now and to keep doing it after completing my MFA will be just as important to me as my studio practice.

Thanks! I am very grateful for how well my work has been received, though like I said before, I think that I got in a lot of places because I had a wide range of schools that I applied to. I think that Cal Arts might be the only "top" school that takes me, so if I had applied to only schools in the top 10, I may have only gotten in one place. So it's relative to a certain extent.

And while I am super excited about getting into Cal Arts, I really don't know if I can afford to go there. I've gotten some pretty hefty financial offerings from some other places, those will be hard to turn down. Though, I am also thinking about the long last effects on my career . . . I dunno . . .

While I think Cal Arts still has something of a reputation in new genres because of their connection with technology and the entertainment industry, their reputation is not what it once was. You should probably go for the money.

It kills me when I see people lose hope, mostly because I've been there so many times, I know how it feels all too well. There are always ways of making your dreams come true. It might be hard, but there are still ways.

Great words to think about and so true. On a side note, did Montclair offer you aid already? I was thinking they offered tuition waivers as stipends but I don't remember fr sure because I ended up not applying.

I only ask because I met the director of the program once and got a great vibe about the program. Could be a good choice for people looking for the NYC area.

I just got an email from the Photographic and Electronic Media Department at MICA. It basically states that they are still in the process of deciding.

I got the same email. When I was interviewed he said it would be 1-2 weeks until they notify us, but it will be two weeks tomorrow. Do you think we will hear by the end of this week?

While I think Cal Arts still has something of a reputation in new genres because of their connection with technology and the entertainment industry, their reputation is not what it once was. You should probably go for the money.

I am thinking along the same lines. I am going to see if they offer me anything by the April 15th deadline. If they do, I will weigh my options. If not, I am already leaning towards the two schools who are offering me the most funding.

Though I have to admit . . . the idea of living in LA - if only for the weather - is totally enticing. I am a little sick of east coast winters.

Great words to think about and so true. On a side note, did Montclair offer you aid already? I was thinking they offered tuition waivers as stipends but I don't remember fr sure because I ended up not applying.

I only ask because I met the director of the program once and got a great vibe about the program. Could be a good choice for people looking for the NYC area.

Hey Tyson2! Don't quote me on this, but I believe Montclair offers an initial tuition waiver for everyone they accept into their program. What they offer beyond that, I don't know. I am going up to look at a bunch of schools next week and they are on the list, so if I find out any more info I will definitely keep y'all posted.

The director of the program is younger, so I think they are trying to give off a "hip" kind of vibe. Though I agree with you, for those looking to go to school by New York and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg to do so, I think Montclair is a great choice. It's definitely under the radar now, but in a couple years, who knows.