MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

also folks, if you got a really good tuition offer, please let us know (we promise not to tell anyone)

I've had a few really, really potentially great financial offers, but I'm waiting for all of it to be finalized. I don't want to jinx myself, so I am going to hold off on saying who or where, but once all the dust settles I will give a heads up for those looking for funding for next year.

Since I already declined Alfred University, I will say this: it's a fantastic program in a VERY small school in upstate New York. They provide their MFA students will full tuition waivers and a $5,000 stipend. I believe that's standard among all their MFAs. The thing is that the town is so small that there is physically no opportunity for outside work, combined with the fact that it's a rigorous program, so that $5000 has to last you all academic year. So if you have a decent amount of savings or if you are willing to take out some loans, that may be a a good school to look into.

The other school, that we just talked about before, is Montclair State in NJ. They are right outside of NYC and as far as I know, offer a tuition waiver for all their MFAs. I'm not sure about additional funding, but I'll post if I find out.

Edited by miyamoto81

Congratulations! That's wonderful. How did you find out about Parsons?

1. go to https://newservice2.newschool.edu/netidmanage5.html... you will get a NET ID username(using your new school id no.)

2. log onto https://my.newschool.edu/cp/home/displaylogin .. enter your NET ID username and password(which is your date of birth in MMDDYY format)

3. hopefully you will log in to see "Congratulations on your acceptance and we look forward to seeing you at The New School."

If it makes anyone happy - I don't know anything about any programs. And I didn't get in anywhere! Why should I pretend to know anything about X artist who I never heard of until I googled the school? How can I pretend that X program is better than Y program when, dun nuh nuh, you'll have a similar experience at a vast majority of them: you're still you. You can't predict anything about your experience at any given school. I think it's one of the sillier aspects of this whole process.

If it makes anyone happy - I don't know anything about any programs. And I didn't get in anywhere! Why should I pretend to know anything about X artist who I never heard of until I googled the school? How can I pretend that X program is better than Y program when, dun nuh nuh, you'll have a similar experience at a vast majority of them: you're still you. You can't predict anything about your experience at any given school. I think it's one of the sillier aspects of this whole process.

I think you have a good point. While it's easy to look at the faculty and their work and make judgments about whether or not you will click, there is no way to know for sure. And, in my experience, the professors I thought would help me most haven't really brought anything new to the table, and great lessons have come from unexpected people. All we can do is look for the most information and try to make the best decision with the knowledge that we find. For that reason, I recently asked an old friend for the "non-brochure" description of the city I might be going to, and he didn't tell me anything specific that I couldn't have googled, but his impression was the most helpful thing I've heard about the city yet. Knowing who he is, and knowing who I am, and hearing him describe it, was very helpful. I think these are the types of questions that yield the best answers. My two cents anyways.

And people on this forum who have no interest in helping others but are just out for themselves are pretty offensive too. Yes, it's grad school, not life or death. Come on yourself. Many schools have very little information online. We may know the school has a good rep, but may not have had a chance to visit due to cost or location. You can't be expected to know everything about all the schools you apply too. If you don't like the question, then don't answer it. Calling the question offensive just shows your immaturity.

We are really gettin down and dirty now..

I got into Calarts! Photo. Actually got the letter in the mail on friday. I was wailtlisted last year and it seems they accepted me without an interview!

It was my only applicaiton this year, (but I have a defferral at another school). I'm so excited!

1. go to https://newservice2....tidmanage5.html... you will get a NET ID username(using your new school id no.)

2. log onto https://my.newschool...me/displaylogin .. enter your NET ID username and password(which is your date of birth in MMDDYY format)

3. hopefully you will log in to see "Congratulations on your acceptance and we look forward to seeing you at The New School."

Did you see the note in the "personal announcements" field? I logged in and don't see anything about my application status...

I got into Calarts! Photo. Actually got the letter in the mail on friday. I was wailtlisted last year and it seems they accepted me without an interview!

It was my only applicaiton this year, (but I have a defferral at another school). I'm so excited!

Congratulations zaquon!!! It seems that many times waitlisted applicants who reapply dont get in, so it makes me particularly happy for you that you did!! Hope for everyone else not to give up :)

Just got my first rejection letter, although I'm pretty sure I won't be accepted to at least two schools after a really awful interview. So long, Guelph.

HI, fellow Canadian! Did you receive the rejection by letter mail? I'm waiting to hear back from Guelph as well. Good luck with your other schools!

Edited by bordercrossings

While I think Cal Arts still has something of a reputation in new genres because of their connection with technology and the entertainment industry, their reputation is not what it once was. You should probably go for the money.

CalArts is definitely a pricey school, and it makes sense to take funding into account, but if it helps, I have a friend in her first year there (MFA), and she said the quality of work is VERY strong, she's making big strides in her work, and really enjoying the program. Not sure if it's true that their reputation is not what it once was, but even if it is, there still seems to be a lot of good working happening there.

Congratulations zaquon!!! It seems that many times waitlisted applicants who reapply dont get in, so it makes me particularly happy for you that you did!! Hope for everyone else not to give up :)

yes! I posted here so someone doesn't make the same mistake. I actually assumed rejection when I didn't get an interview, so I missed the Financial Aid priority deadline! I'll be fine for loans but I'm worried about the merit scholarship...

CalArts is definitely a pricey school, and it makes sense to take funding into account, but if it helps, I have a friend in her first year there (MFA), and she said the quality of work is VERY strong, she's making big strides in her work, and really enjoying the program. Not sure if it's true that their reputation is not what it once was, but even if it is, there still seems to be a lot of good working happening there.

Thanks bordercrossings, I appreciate your insight (as I'm sure others do as well)! :)

So, I got into my safety school with funding and a TAship. Offered a post-bacc at one other school (in a city i don't want to live in - but the program is better). One rejection from a long-shot (UCLA). And I am waitlisted at my top-choice school where only 5 people were accepted into the program I applied to this year.

What to do if I don't get in off the waitlist at my top-choice, which is likely...

-Take the post-bacc from the better school? Pay tuition and take courses that ultimately don't lead to a degree (for a year, whilst re-applying elsewhere)

-Go to my safety school, with funding. Possibly only for a year whilst reapplying...

-Say screw it to grad school for now, move somewhere, try to find a job doing something relevant, (and reapply).

Help.... If you want to know which schools you can message me.

This is so stressful...

I am a much older student. I have had to work and go to school for many years. Seize the day while you can, getting into Graduate School is one of the biggest signs that other's thought you make great art. After you get the degree it will always be on your resume and will create opportunities. The post-bacc would look good on your resume as well but, don't stop now. Edited by maker