MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Ok, I thought I might chime in about Montclair State as it seems to be coming up a lot in this thread.

I went there for my undergrad and after researching and applying to graduate schools, I have realized how fantastic their graduate program really is. And NO I don't get any kind of kickback for saying this (although maybe I should lol).

1. For those of you who are looking to be in NYC, it is in commuting distance. Going to Chelsea is a regular occurrence to visit galleries and write papers etc.

2. You get your own studio, with a lock. I've come across many programs with shared studio spaces and limited privacy.

3. You have access to that studio 24/7. I thought this was a no-brainer, but again I was surprised to see some schools have limited access.

4. The library and adjoining cafe are 24 hours as well. It wasn't until one of my best friends who is up at New Paltz told me about the erratic hours of their library, and how her Starbucks closes at 9pm! that I realized how lucky we were at MSU. This might sound like a minor thing, but remember you have to live in this new environment and tiny things like that might make a difference. I know I'm not a happy camper without a cup of coffee.

5. They have a visiting artist EVERY WEEK. As part of Art Forum, an artist comes to do a lecture each week, beforehand that artist makes their rounds to the graduate studios to look at people's work.

6. Additionally there is usually another lecture featured at the Montclair Art Museum about once or twice a semester. And depending on the artist, afterwards, the MFA's and faculty go to dinner at a local restaurant.

7. The faculty. There are some real top notch people who teach there. In my final year of my BFA, I felt like I was put through the ringer, but I am so grateful for that. I feel like they really pushed me to be a better artist.

If I hadn't gone there for undergrad and if I wasn't trying desperately to escape the NY Metro area, I would totally go there. So those of you thinking about applying, go for it! Because I really think in the next coming years, they will be a big contender.

A plea to current accepted applicants:

If you are sure you are not attending a program could you let the schools know. For those folks freaking out on waitlists it makes all the difference. I have close friend waitlisted for UM and she has found a great housing opp but is scared she won't get in and is about to let it go?!

Thanks & good luck to all!!

Oh yeah, for sure, as this is only fair...I let mine know. Best of luck!

ahhh i'm gonna need some major distractions these next couple of weeks. I'm freaking out. checking websites, emails and mail boxes obsessively. When will they put me out of my misery and just tell me! I feel so stuck, like I can't make future plans until I know I've been rejected everywhere.

PS. you can probably tell I'm new here. I've been checking this site obsessively for the past 2 days, it's been nice to know I'm not the only one freaking out.

Some news, I heard by phone earlier this week that I was accepted at USF!

Schools can't be silent forever can they? ('we secretly admitted ten people whose identities remain undisclosed, here is the first clue..')

I would love any info on USF that you can give me! I was accepted there, and I would love and insiders perspective. I primarily do video/photo/new genres, so any info about that would be helpful too! Thanks!

Sorry it's taken so long to respond my jobs are currently on overdrive and it's too hard to reply to the forum from my phone. I'm painter so I don't know that much about video or photo dept. but I've seen some great work develop. I would say that they are actively developing and investing in video/photo and new genres. The art dept. has taken over the building that it used to share with the music department so I know that there's more space for the different media. The building itself is somewhat worn down but nothing too crazy. The art dept. is always that last to get a new building! The painting professors are all pretty cool, they have their cons but nothing too detrimental. I would say that Elizabeth became my favorite after I became used to her stream of conscious answers. Wendy Babcox is a photo/video professor and she's pretty cool. The grad students and undergrad mix pretty easily. You kind of get to know everyone because of the size of the school. The department head always remembers my name and its been a few years. Definitely go on the Paris study abroad trip. I had an amazing experience. If you do end up at USF and you take a class with Lou Marcus, photo prof., sit in the very front or else you won't hear a thing. Miami is about 4 hours away depending on how fast you drive so Art Basel close by. Tampa itself is okay. There are plenty of apartments near the school but you need a car! It's just gets too hot and everything is spread far apart. I can't really recommend staying after grad school since I'm actively trying to get out! I would say downtown St. Petersburg which is 45-1 hour away is great place to hang out.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Did you see the note in the "personal announcements" field? I logged in and don't see anything about my application status...

umm.. wen i log in i see three tabs saying "Accepted students/mynewschoolhome/student". Just below the Accepted students tab, there is box with the message. My personal announcements field is empty.

1. go to https://newservice2....tidmanage5.html... you will get a NET ID username(using your new school id no.)

2. log onto https://my.newschool...me/displaylogin .. enter your NET ID username and password(which is your date of birth in MMDDYY format)

3. hopefully you will log in to see "Congratulations on your acceptance and we look forward to seeing you at The New School."

I will have a look. But I think you applied to a different program. I applied to the MFA. And yesterday nothing showed up yet.

I will have a look. But I think you applied to a different program. I applied to the MFA. And yesterday nothing showed up yet.

I applied to MFA, Design and Technology

I can't believe it! I got accepted to calarts for photography and media program!!! ><

good luck everyone!! I crossed my fingers for u!

wow! when and how did you find out? I'm still waiting, doesn't look good...

I applied to the MFA fine art at Parsons, and I can log in... it says on the front page congrats on acceptance etc., but to be honest I don't think it means you're accepted necessarily. They could have just given applicants under consideration logins just in case...

I applied to the MFA fine art at Parsons, and I can log in... it says on the front page congrats on acceptance etc., but to be honest I don't think it means you're accepted necessarily. They could have just given applicants under consideration logins just in case...

When I log in, I just see my application summary....

Giving each applicant being considered a login is sensible. However, I do not think they would have written a congratulatory note on acceptance for all the applicants. It will be just ridiculous on their part. And esp. when the login is so easily accessible. Also, why will they provide an option of making a tution deposit. I am still waiting for the official letter to erase all doubts. However, if one can open the tab to the congratulatory note, I think it means an acceptance.

Edited by humour

Still waiting to hear back from SMFA, RISD and UNC Chapel Hill. Anyone hear back from any of these schools?

Just recently interviewed at SMFA. Supposedly they get back to you quickly....

I wrote to UNC yesterday and received this: "Our recommendations are being transmitted to the Graduate School this week. Notices should go to applicants later this week or early next." I was getting inpatient so I just had to find something out.

Good luck!