MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

And btw, I know I'm late to add to this but, I finally got a chance to look at the 2013 MFA rankings . . . is it just me or was there a ton of shake up?!

Yes! Univ of Penn practically dropped off the list, which is very surprising! They were like #14 before I think.

Still waiting to hear back from SMFA, RISD and UNC Chapel Hill. Anyone hear back from any of these schools?

Just recently interviewed at SMFA. Supposedly they get back to you quickly....

I interviewed with my favorite school 2 weeks ago. I got an email today from the photo dept chair, asking to call me tomorrow to discuss my application status. That sounds like good news as I doubt a dept. chair would email to set a time to call to decline someone. But I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much in case it is bad news. Tomorrow can't come fast enough. I'm not telling which school yet as I don't want the jinx it. :)

sympatico, what do you want to do, do you want to teach or just do your work? We've had this conversation before, but these things are a journey. I really, really hope that if it doesn't work out for you this time around that you don't give up. I think I told you, it took me years and years of struggle to get to where I am. And look at it this way: if you just want to do you work, you sure as hell don't need a MFA to do so. And if you want to teach, there are other ways of doing so without a MFA. Have you considered schools that have a rolling admissions, like the Art Center or even Montclair State in NJ? Those might be some options?

It kills me when I see people lose hope, mostly because I've been there so many times, I know how it feels all too well. There are always ways of making your dreams come true. It might be hard, but there are still ways.

I guess I'm feeling like I misunderstand MFAs and I misunderstand the art world in general, these days.

I guess I'm feeling like I misunderstand MFAs and I misunderstand the art world in general, these days.

I think everyone is starting to feel a little down about apps and things around now, its hard to keep an even head when your future is in someone else's hands. We should all try to think about what we do have, how lucky are we all to be able to consider an MFA and a future of doing what we all love to do. We are so fortunate to have the talent and the drive we need and the opportunities. I still can't believe how amazing it is that I can choose to study and continue to do whatever I want to do with my work and someone will even help me pay for it!?

That said, I'm also fairly on edge my moods swing wildly between excitement and feeling like screaming (not out of anger must be something animal) and I'm also checking my emails a billion times a day.

People were receiving acceptances until the end of April last year. Just so you know...I am still waiting on many. It will always be about the work first, always remember********* So many folks who land amazing MFA's are not doing work 5, 10, or 15 years down the road. MFA or not, I am in it for the long haul.

So, I got into my safety school with funding and a TAship. Offered a post-bacc at one other school (in a city i don't want to live in - but the program is better). One rejection from a long-shot (UCLA). And I am waitlisted at my top-choice school where only 5 people were accepted into the program I applied to this year.

What to do if I don't get in off the waitlist at my top-choice, which is likely...

-Take the post-bacc from the better school? Pay tuition and take courses that ultimately don't lead to a degree (for a year, whilst re-applying elsewhere)

-Go to my safety school, with funding. Possibly only for a year whilst reapplying...

-Say screw it to grad school for now, move somewhere, try to find a job doing something relevant, (and reapply).

Help.... If you want to know which schools you can message me.

This is so stressful...

Edited by Mindfields88

A plea to current accepted applicants:

If you are sure you are not attending a program could you let the schools know. For those folks freaking out on waitlists it makes all the difference. I have close friend waitlisted for UM and she has found a great housing opp but is scared she won't get in and is about to let it go?!

Thanks & good luck to all!!

So, I got into my safety school with funding and a TAship. Offered a post-bacc at one other school (in a city i don't want to live in - but the program is better). One rejection from a long-shot (UCLA). And I am waitlisted at my top-choice school where only 5 people were accepted into the program I applied to this year.

What to do if I don't get in off the waitlist at my top-choice, which is likely...

-Take the post-bacc from the better school? Pay tuition and take courses that ultimately don't lead to a degree (for a year, whilst re-applying elsewhere)

-Go to my safety school, with funding. Possibly only for a year whilst reapplying...

-Say screw it to grad school for now, move somewhere, try to find a job doing something relevant, (and reapply).

Help.... If you want to know which schools you can message me.

I guess this really all depends on what you think about the school offering you full tuition and a TA position. I understand your concern in wanting to go to your top choice as I'm sure it is a better program but coming out with nothing and coming out with 60k debt are two different animals. Not liking the city is also understandable but for the most part you will be concentrating on your work and not the city. Best of luck !

A plea to current accepted applicants:

If you are sure you are not attending a program could you let the schools know. For those folks freaking out on waitlists it makes all the difference. I have close friend waitlisted for UM and she has found a great housing opp but is scared she won't get in and is about to let it go?!

Thanks & good luck to all!!

agreed.

Oh man, yeah, the time difference has been killing me too. I spend all morning checking my email relentlessly, even though I know its still night time in the US!

Time means nothing if no one (schools) is saying anything.

I was talking to my Painting professor.. he graduated from Boston Univ. with a BFA and MFA Yale. I asked him how many programs he applied to and he said only Yale!

I wonder if that is unheard of today?

I was just called and accepted to MICA MT. Royal as I was typing this!!!!

I guess this really all depends on what you think about the school offering you full tuition and a TA position. I understand your concern in wanting to go to your top choice as I'm sure it is a better program but coming out with nothing and coming out with 60k debt are two different animals. Not liking the city is also understandable but for the most part you will be concentrating on your work and not the city. Best of luck !

Don't forget all of us that had to take out loans for undergraduate. If i take out the loans needed to go to the places I've been accepted, I would walk away from school with an MFA and about $100,000 in loans. I'm actually considering re-applying next year to see if I can get full-funding.

I was talking to my Painting professor.. he graduated from Boston Univ. with a BFA and MFA Yale. I asked him how many programs he applied to and he said only Yale! I wonder if that is unheard of today? I was just called and accepted to MICA MT. Royal as I was typing this!!!!

AWESOME! Glad you got a call.

My first acceptance!( from Dynamic Media Institute, Mass Arts)

Hi humour,

I also got accepted to MassArt DMI :D

and also got rejected from Boston U -_-

and I'm waiting for answer from Parsons just like you are. :P

Are you going to MassArt?

I also got accepted to SFAI Design&Technology,

anyone knows anything about this program? :mellow:

I didn't find much information about it.

Don't forget all of us that had to take out loans for undergraduate. If i take out the loans needed to go to the places I've been accepted, I would walk away from school with an MFA and about $100,000 in loans. I'm actually considering re-applying next year to see if I can get full-funding.

The debt is frightening. I have student loans from undergrad (BFA) and from another master's (MLIS). And credit card debt from 2 years of un-/underemployment. I'm currently trying to figure out how much debt I'm willing to go into for an MFA, even though my heart really wants it. My heart may need to wait another year for funding...

It's so messed up that MFA tuition from a top ranked school (~$80k) costs almost as much as an MBA from a top ranked school (~$100k). MBA programs can charge a lot because many MBA students work in $$$ jobs and will make even more $$$ after graduation. Graduating with an MFA guarantees no job whatsoever.

My boyfriend applied to MBA programs for this fall- we talk about this a lot...

Agreed on turning down places, I got an offer that doesnt suit me at all and i think im getting another offer from somewhere else that isnt going to be that great either.

I'm going to turn them down, finish what i'm doing, take some time out and next year go for the places with real, live support because otherwise i'm not really that into it, despite the prestige and all.

I think I have to really, really look at suitable places and make sure i'm sending the best information I can on time and no messing about.

So theres two places for someone else, hope you make the most of them :)

also folks, if you got a really good tuition offer, please let us know (we promise not to tell anyone)

Edited by thisandthat

Hi humour,

I also got accepted to MassArt DMI :D

and also got rejected from Boston U -_-

and I'm waiting for answer from Parsons just like you are. :P

Are you going to MassArt?

I also got accepted to SFAI Design&Technology,

anyone knows anything about this program? :mellow:

I didn't find much information about it.

i have sent you a message..