MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Ok, I thought I might chime in about Montclair State as it seems to be coming up a lot in this thread.

I went there for my undergrad and after researching and applying to graduate schools, I have realized how fantastic their graduate program really is. And NO I don't get any kind of kickback for saying this (although maybe I should lol).

1. For those of you who are looking to be in NYC, it is in commuting distance. Going to Chelsea is a regular occurrence to visit galleries and write papers etc.

2. You get your own studio, with a lock. I've come across many programs with shared studio spaces and limited privacy.

3. You have access to that studio 24/7. I thought this was a no-brainer, but again I was surprised to see some schools have limited access.

4. The library and adjoining cafe are 24 hours as well. It wasn't until one of my best friends who is up at New Paltz told me about the erratic hours of their library, and how her Starbucks closes at 9pm! that I realized how lucky we were at MSU. This might sound like a minor thing, but remember you have to live in this new environment and tiny things like that might make a difference. I know I'm not a happy camper without a cup of coffee.

5. They have a visiting artist EVERY WEEK. As part of Art Forum, an artist comes to do a lecture each week, beforehand that artist makes their rounds to the graduate studios to look at people's work.

6. Additionally there is usually another lecture featured at the Montclair Art Museum about once or twice a semester. And depending on the artist, afterwards, the MFA's and faculty go to dinner at a local restaurant.

7. The faculty. There are some real top notch people who teach there. In my final year of my BFA, I felt like I was put through the ringer, but I am so grateful for that. I feel like they really pushed me to be a better artist.

If I hadn't gone there for undergrad and if I wasn't trying desperately to escape the NY Metro area, I would totally go there. So those of you thinking about applying, go for it! Because I really think in the next coming years, they will be a big contender.

I think Montclair State is a great choice. The student work in CAA's regional MFA show last year was very good, much better than Yale, Hunter, or most of the other big-name schools in the northeast.

Yup, I got it too. I was hoping to at least be on the waitlist.

Me, too. I was hoping to be notified of my acceptance after some people had turned down the april 2nd deadline.

I'm sorry. But you still have options and waiting to hear from more schools. Keep your chin up!

No chins are down over here! I've still got 3 schools to hear from and 3 schools waiting to hear from me.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond my jobs are currently on overdrive and it's too hard to reply to the forum from my phone. I'm painter so I don't know that much about video or photo dept. but I've seen some great work develop. I would say that they are actively developing and investing in video/photo and new genres. The art dept. has taken over the building that it used to share with the music department so I know that there's more space for the different media. The building itself is somewhat worn down but nothing too crazy. The art dept. is always that last to get a new building! The painting professors are all pretty cool, they have their cons but nothing too detrimental. I would say that Elizabeth became my favorite after I became used to her stream of conscious answers. Wendy Babcox is a photo/video professor and she's pretty cool. The grad students and undergrad mix pretty easily. You kind of get to know everyone because of the size of the school. The department head always remembers my name and its been a few years. Definitely go on the Paris study abroad trip. I had an amazing experience. If you do end up at USF and you take a class with Lou Marcus, photo prof., sit in the very front or else you won't hear a thing. Miami is about 4 hours away depending on how fast you drive so Art Basel close by. Tampa itself is okay. There are plenty of apartments near the school but you need a car! It's just gets too hot and everything is spread far apart. I can't really recommend staying after grad school since I'm actively trying to get out! I would say downtown St. Petersburg which is 45-1 hour away is great place to hang out.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Thank you for the reply! Very helpful and I'd also be there for painting. I might try to see if I can visit.

umm.. wen i log in i see three tabs saying "Accepted students/mynewschoolhome/student". Just below the Accepted students tab, there is box with the message. My personal announcements field is empty.

Ok, thanks! When I log in there's only one tab: mynewschoolhome, so I guess there's still no decision for me, I'll have to keep waiting... "paitently"...

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! did you interview yesterday at risd?

thanks! I actually had a skype interview last week, but then went there on Tuesday's interview day to show work in person. Were you there?

thanks! I actually had a skype interview last week, but then went there on Tuesday's interview day to show work in person. Were you there?

yeah i was there on tuesday afternoon..we might have met? i havent heard anything from risd so i assume it's a rejection...:(

Accepted UNC Chapel Hill, was emailed yesterday that a decision status was viewable online

Where on line can you see your chapel hill status? Feel like I'm in a black hole - not a peep from UCLA, UNC Chaple Hill, or VCU

Just got officially accepted into SFAI! Now I'm waiting on rejections from Columbia and Slade, and still haven't given up hope on SVA (I wonder if I am being naive in that hope).

I'm not sure if anyone else applied to Northeastern's MFA program, but on Tuesday I got an e-mail from them stating that they were refunding our application fees because they're postponing the program for a year.....fail.

Does anybody know about Columbia? What's the deal?

I would say at this point if we haven't been contacted for an interview, we shouldn't bet on it. I know people on here said that interview requests went out a few weeks ago. Though, who knows - it ain't over til it's over.