MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I'm still juggling ideas about what to do about finances of getting an MFA when no one has offered me full-funding. So I have booked a trip to SFAI in mid-April (they are giving me until May 1st to make a commitment), and I'm going to see if they can convince me that taking out $60,000 in loans (and paying it off for the rest of my life) will be so minor in comparison to what I get out of getting an MFA there. or if they can convince by that by attending their school, that I won't be working extra jobs to make a student loan payment.

good idea? bad idea? thoughts?

(however, I also think that I'm going to have a really hard time not falling in love with San Francisco as soon as I step off the plane)

If you look in publications that show successful artist's and if you look at the resume's of most professor's you will notice that they come from top tier schools. I also feel that it helps you get gallery representation and grants with the best schools on your Resume'. This in turn, equals money to pay back loans.

I don't think I agree. For one, even if you're interested in teaching, there are so few positions available that I wouldn't bank on getting one, not even if you attend a top program. It's a supply and demand issue.

Regarding gallery representation, I've spoken to gallerists about the importance of an MFA, in general, on an artist's resume. Believe it or not, they said it really didn't matter. But even if it did matter, I don't know how much money you'll earn from gallery representation alone.

I applied for MFA programs and am intending to attend one, so I'm not against pursuing the degree, though I realize my above comments may make it seem that way. However, I also decided last year not to take out 60K in loans to attend, based on the realization that I would forever be paying that back, and this would limit me in more aspects of my life than the degree would ultimately further my goals.

It's a delicate balance. But I'd say you should aim for schools that provide funding, or grants from other sources, to offset the amount you'll need to borrow in loans. That being said, I also turned down an offer of a full ride at a school that I felt wouldn't help me develop as an artist. So, again, go for the school that will benefit your artistic and professional development, but don't, if you can avoid it, go so deep into debt that you'll forever be climbing out of it.

If you look in publications that show successful artist's and if you look at the resume's of most professor's you will notice that they come from top tier schools. I also feel that it helps you get gallery representation and grants with the best schools on your Resume'. This in turn, equals money to pay back loans.

Heading out to Penn Station to catch the train to Bard for my interview...

Good luck to everyone and hope there is some good news out there for you all.

GOOD LUCK! All you have to do is be yourself!

Indeed, I agree with the above! Good luck Tyson2, let us know how it goes!

Still no word from smfa or massart... :(

I feel your pain! I interviewed at MassArt and RISD and have heard NOTHING. (MFA PHOTO) Also applied to SMFA and just more nothing. At this point I will be pleasantly surprised if I am accepted and have already mentally prepared myself for round 2.

Just got the reject button from MICA Hoffberger--can't believe that in their email from February they said they were "looking forward to speaking" with me, and CAN'T believe they sent a city guide to Baltimore. Seriously unprofessional.

MICA: Rejected (mail)

California College of the Arts: Interviewed/Accepted (phone)

Cranbrook: Interviewed/Accepted (phone)

SAIC: Interviewed/waiting

RISD: Rejected (email, because I asked)

Columbia: assuming rejection

CalArts: Rejected (mail)

I don't think I agree. For one, even if you're interested in teaching, there are so few positions available that I wouldn't bank on getting one, not even if you attend a top program. It's a supply and demand issue.

Regarding gallery representation, I've spoken to gallerists about the importance of an MFA, in general, on an artist's resume. Believe it or not, they said it really didn't matter. But even if it did matter, I don't know how much money you'll earn from gallery representation alone...

...I'd say you should aim for schools that provide funding, or grants from other sources...

I have to strongly agree with ebihal that going to a top flight school is no guarantee of getting gallery rep, career success, or even teaching...

Regarding galleries, look at more than a couple top artists in the Blue Chip scene and it will convince you that it is more about how ambitious you are and the connections YOU make on your own: Cindy Sherman (went to a decent school for BFA (Buffalo State), but not an uber power house, and didn't even get an MFA), or Barbara Kruger (didn't even finish ANY degree)...so, dig around! There's plenty of autodidacts and self-starters that didn't need the grad school circus to be successful :)

I have to strongly agree with ebihal that going to a top flight school is no guarantee of getting gallery rep, career success, or even teaching...

Regarding galleries, look at more than a couple top artists in the Blue Chip scene and it will convince you that it is more about how ambitious you are and the connections YOU make on your own: Cindy Sherman (went to a decent school for BFA (Buffalo State), but not an uber power house, and didn't even get an MFA), or Barbara Kruger (didn't even finish ANY degree)...so, dig around! There's plenty of autodidacts and self-starters that didn't need the grad school circus to be successful :)

Yeah but Cindy Sherman and Barbara Kruger are both terrible artists...

I kid!

My philosophy is that: top 20 school I'll take out significant loans, anything else I want to be debt free.

This does not sound like a good idea. Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to crush any dreams or hopes for living in a peaceful and beautiful local but I don't think there would be any galleries/exposure on the top of the Rockies or in any forest. If you want to have a career as an artist, you need to place yourself in the heart of the beast. NY, L.A., Chicago, Texas, Boston, Florida, Washington DC, SF.. these are all hot spots. If you really want to give yourself an advantage, go to places like London, China, Brazil, France, Germany (I know some of you are going to respond with things like, "it's not just about selling," or "not every amazing artist lived in any of these places." All true, but, if you think about the competition for the field we have chosen (which continues to steadily rise year after year) it would be smart to take up more of a business stance to all of this.

Unless you are quilting, making watercolors of deer for a state fair or designing signs for local lawn mowing businesses, you need to be in a place where there's an art hub and community.

I agree that an art community is essential. So...I say we all move to the Rockies and start a hub for contemporary art. Who's with me?

Yes, I realize I'm a dreamer. But I'm okay with that.

GOOD LUCK! All you have to do is be yourself!

Indeed, I agree with the above! Good luck Tyson2, let us know how it goes!

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind comments. It went well, it was much more laid back then I expected and the 30 minutes flew by. My first grad interview down, now I just have to see how NYU goes next week.

I agree as well. There are so many people graduating with MFAs now, even from the top ranking selective programs, that getting a degree from any place doesn't give you a giant jump on everyone else. There are many wonderful artists who have great success but never went to school, or went to programs you have never heard of.

I agree that an art community is essential. So...I say we all move to the Rockies and start a hub for contemporary art. Who's with me?

Yes, I realize I'm a dreamer. But I'm okay with that.

There already IS an art hub in the Rockies... have you heard of the Banff Centre residencies? Very competitive, but if you get in, you're in a beautiful, amazing location nestled in the Canadian Rockies. http://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/experience/

Edited by bordercrossings

I might be jaded from the Philadelphia scene, but I really have no desire to seek gallery representation. Its pathetic.

Let's face I think the idealized notion of some gallery paying you to produce work to sell later on is dated and unrealistic.

There are a billion and one artist out there. I threw in the towel and I am find with that.

I make work because I have to make work. I am a maker. I make my living through commissions and part time jobs.

Not some white room that people don't bother with anymore......just my thoughts on the subject.

finally got that rejection from Parsons. I really don't think I can do round 2. The time, effort and money it took the first time around was bad enough, my grades dropped last semester just so I can get those applications out!

I really want to stay and just take classes at the Art Srudents League of New York but I'm on a student visa which expires a year after I graduate (this May), and it also means I can't re-enter the states on that visa, so I can't leave but I have to go to Canada for my brothers graduation and I also really wanna go home this summer.

Any advice/experiences from other international students?

Congrats to the accepted! Best of luck, but I am not one of them. Sulking in coming to terms with a second round, I offer my thoughts on non-acceptance.

Often, it is the case that success is not contingent upon a matter of time dedicated to improvement towards prefection of personal interest, but rather upon doing what others like or prefer. Like many of us, I have spent a great deal of time and study trying to nourish my practice, my ideas, and my artwork with my own interests. Evidently, dedication is optimistic bullshit. Those who were accepted may disagree, claiming dedication is what got them accepted. But this is a fallacy, it may be the case that your work, by accident, catered to the commitee and they liked it. If dedication to personal interests is the key, then most all of us should be accepted. If dedication is worth any value of success, it must be dedication to serving the interests of others. Here is to the non-accepted, Cheers!

RortyRorty: Lol, c'mon...Van Gogh was never accepted :)

All of this acceptance/not-acceptance stuff is a crap shoot (like sending stuff out to a juried show)...so, I say KEEP AT IT!

You *%&^ing rule and you know it, so keep hammering away. Everyone wants to see you back at it next year!

Plus, if you don't, I'm going to hunt you down and kick your butt ;)

Edited by OutWest

RortyRorty: Lol, c'mon...Van Gogh was never accepted :)

All of this acceptance/not-acceptance stuff is a crap shoot (like sending stuff out to a juried show)...so, I say KEEP AT IT!

You *%&^ing rule and you know it, so keep hammering away. Everyone wants to see you back at it next year!

Plus, if you don't, I'm going to hunt you down and kick your butt ;)

Thanks. It seems the only good thing to come out of all this rejection is knowing what not to do, and by elimination, try to please the commitee.

Man other peoples who were not accepted became über famous such as: Hitler... errr bad example... well on the other hand if the Vienna Academy of Art did give the future fuhrer a break maybe tons of life could of been save and Adolph coulda rock it as dadaist performer under Wagner's inspiration... heh who knows (yet he could still be antisemitic but at least he would simply paint landscape and get wasted at the bar instead of planning the third reich). According to a teacher of mine, Jean-Paul Sartre allegedly hated so much Edgar Morin that the poor philosopher (Morin) couln't really publish... the guy later became a household name in french epistemology through his books "La méthode" (argh 6 books ranging from 300-500 pages each... what a pain but really insightful books): all this because in the end he survived being literaly trumped by a huge name such as Sartre. (couln't find any reference online but I trust the teacher as he seems to collect anecdotes on philosophers)

Dedication is only an optimistic bullshit if you let those setbacks determine your destiny... although we're all in this boat for the MFA: being an artist comes first in the long run (with or without the institutional stamp of approbation... I guess history will be the judge).

Man other peoples who were not accepted became über famous such as: Hitler... errr bad example... well on the other hand if the Vienna Academy of Art did give the future fuhrer a break maybe tons of life could of been save and Adolph coulda rock it as dadaist performer under Wagner's inspiration... heh who knows (yet he could still be antisemitic but at least he would simply paint landscape and get wasted at the bar instead of planning the third reich). According to a teacher of mine, Jean-Paul Sartre allegedly hated so much Edgar Morin that the poor philosopher (Morin) couln't really publish... the guy later became a household name in french epistemology through his books "La méthode" (argh 6 books ranging from 300-500 pages each... what a pain but really insightful books): all this because in the end he survived being literaly trumped by a huge name such as Sartre. (couln't find any reference online but I trust the teacher as he seems to collect anecdotes on philosophers)

Dedication is only an optimistic bullshit if you let those setbacks determine your destiny... although we're all in this boat for the MFA: being an artist comes first in the long run (with or without the institutional stamp of approbation... I guess history will be the judge).

Time to clarify the ambiguity. Success here is not fame or "personal success", but in a sense of favor. Also, Morin's success, not fame, may be due to his getting others to agree with him, hence pleasing others.

Congrats to the accepted! Best of luck, but I am not one of them. Sulking in coming to terms with a second round, I offer my thoughts on non-acceptance.

Often, it is the case that success is not contingent upon a matter of time dedicated to improvement towards prefection of personal interest, but rather upon doing what others like or prefer. Like many of us, I have spent a great deal of time and study trying to nourish my practice, my ideas, and my artwork with my own interests. Evidently, dedication is optimistic bullshit. Those who were accepted may disagree, claiming dedication is what got them accepted. But this is a fallacy, it may be the case that your work, by accident, catered to the commitee and they liked it. If dedication to personal interests is the key, then most all of us should be accepted. If dedication is worth any value of success, it must be dedication to serving the interests of others. Here is to the non-accepted, Cheers!

And to add to this: the deciders at these programs are looking through a pool of other candidates' works. (I'm painting, so my thoughts come from that standpoint..) Out of 500 or so aplications, you get categories: abstract, landscape, figurative, neo-surreal etc. From there you get sub categories of subject matter: identity dealing with the artist's race (black, asian, white, native american, latino etc.), feminism, fascination with the entertainment industry. The point is, we are learning and studying our contemporaries. We attempt to create unique work, yet we fit into categories. If we don't get into a program (or any of our wanted programs) it isn't because our work is shit, it's because of the odds that we do not have control over.