MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

..(t)he MS is intended to help you gain or refine your skills in design. It prepares you more for work as a designer in a design firm or company. The MFA is bigger on refining the practice and theory behind your design...

Hmmm, not so sure I agree with that, as I have heard the MS is more appropriate for learning design from the perspective of broadening its reach into many different facets of thinking from general design (ie., working in graphic design houses, like you suggest), all the way up to information technology, data visualization, as well as design for broad socio-political purposes. That is to say, it prepares you for not only work in design houses or companies, but also larger media and governmental organizations...

...and, the MFA is more specialized on the "art" part of design and, yes, it certainly prepares you for teaching.

(Caveat: I used to be a graphic designer, and then worked my way up to Art Director for a number of years in LA, so I have some experience with people on both "sides" of the MFA/MS design world...hence my take on the definitions here!)

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that none of the schools that ranked for "Painting and Drawing" are located in any western or pacific states except for California?

Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona. You would think those would be the PERFECT setting for great art schools. But somehow, all the ones with top painting and drawing programs got stuck in the major metropolitan areas (and states). I understand big cities have their artistic benefits, but as a person who gets most of their inspiration from nature...I personally need some (western/pacific) options that are a little less metropolitan.

Just imagine...a first-class art school at the top of the Rocky Mountains, or nested within a deeply forested National Park, or at the edge of the Grand Canyon? Sounds like a good idea right?

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that none of the schools that ranked for "Painting and Drawing" are located in any western or pacific states except for California?

Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona. You would think those would be the PERFECT setting for great art schools. But somehow, all the ones with top painting and drawing programs got stuck in the major metropolitan areas (and states). I understand big cities have their artistic benefits, but as a person who gets most of their inspiration from nature...I personally need some (western/pacific) options that are a little less metropolitan.

Just imagine...a first-class art school at the top of the Rocky Mountains, or nested within a deeply forested National Park, or at the edge of the Grand Canyon? Sounds like a good idea right?

California is probably the most beautiful and diverse state in the country when it comes to nature. Places like Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, the California coastline, etc. Plus, all within half a day's drive or less from any of the major metropolitan areas. Although you might not be able to be right in the thick of it, you can't get ocean/forest/mountain/desert/city regions all in such close proximity anywhere else.

California is probably the most beautiful and diverse state in the country when it comes to nature. Places like Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, the California coastline, etc. Plus, all within half a day's drive or less from any of the major metropolitan areas. Although you might not be able to be right in the thick of it, you can't get ocean/forest/mountain/desert/city regions all in such close proximity anywhere else.

Actually, that's a very good point. I wish to be able to visit those places at some point, especially Sequoia. The main reason I have been avoiding California is actually due to the high cost of living and bad economy in general. I have relatives there, and most of them aren't doing well financially. Getting an MFA is already a risky investment, and so I'm very hesitant to move to a state where the economy itself is struggling so severely. I will admit, however, that California has much to offer in terms of environmental beauty, I just fear that the costs outweigh the benefits.

Edited by Josholas

This does not sound like a good idea. Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to crush any dreams or hopes for living in a peaceful and beautiful local but I don't think there would be any galleries/exposure on the top of the Rockies or in any forest. If you want to have a career as an artist, you need to place yourself in the heart of the beast. NY, L.A., Chicago, Texas, Boston, Florida, Washington DC, SF.. these are all hot spots. If you really want to give yourself an advantage, go to places like London, China, Brazil, France, Germany (I know some of you are going to respond with things like, "it's not just about selling," or "not every amazing artist lived in any of these places." All true, but, if you think about the competition for the field we have chosen (which continues to steadily rise year after year) it would be smart to take up more of a business stance to all of this.

Unless you are quilting, making watercolors of deer for a state fair or designing signs for local lawn mowing businesses, you need to be in a place where there's an art hub and community.

I got exact same hand written note on the letter. It's a spam note. Parsons trying to appeal their financial needs obviously.

So, everybody who got accepted into Parsons had the note on their letter?!

:D now i just feel funny about it if its a spam! They did get to me for some time though! :D

Have you heard anything from them on merit based scholarship ?

Edited by humour

Hmmm, not so sure I agree with that, as I have heard the MS is more appropriate for learning design from the perspective of broadening its reach into many different facets of thinking from general design (ie., working in graphic design houses, like you suggest), all the way up to information technology, data visualization, as well as design for broad socio-political purposes. That is to say, it prepares you for not only work in design houses or companies, but also larger media and governmental organizations...

...and, the MFA is more specialized on the "art" part of design and, yes, it certainly prepares you for teaching.

(Caveat: I used to be a graphic designer, and then worked my way up to Art Director for a number of years in LA, so I have some experience with people on both "sides" of the MFA/MS design world...hence my take on the definitions here!)

Definitely valid. The way I described it was how I interpreted it when they explained it to me.

I'd like to work my way up to art director one day, so it's great to get your perspective!

I'm still juggling ideas about what to do about finances of getting an MFA when no one has offered me full-funding. So I have booked a trip to SFAI in mid-April (they are giving me until May 1st to make a commitment), and I'm going to see if they can convince me that taking out $60,000 in loans (and paying it off for the rest of my life) will be so minor in comparison to what I get out of getting an MFA there. or if they can convince by that by attending their school, that I won't be working extra jobs to make a student loan payment.

good idea? bad idea? thoughts?

(however, I also think that I'm going to have a really hard time not falling in love with San Francisco as soon as I step off the plane)

I'm still juggling ideas about what to do about finances of getting an MFA when no one has offered me full-funding. So I have booked a trip to SFAI in mid-April (they are giving me until May 1st to make a commitment), and I'm going to see if they can convince me that taking out $60,000 in loans (and paying it off for the rest of my life) will be so minor in comparison to what I get out of getting an MFA there. or if they can convince by that by attending their school, that I won't be working extra jobs to make a student loan payment.

good idea? bad idea? thoughts?

(however, I also think that I'm going to have a really hard time not falling in love with San Francisco as soon as I step off the plane)

I think it's a great idea that you are going there to visit - you will get a definite feeling for the school simply by being there. It's so much better than going into it blind.

And yes, SF is a hard place not to fall in love with. There are definitely worse places to be. (Except for Hawaii of course! ;))

I think it's a great idea that you are going there to visit - you will get a definite feeling for the school simply by being there. It's so much better than going into it blind.

And yes, SF is a hard place not to fall in love with. There are definitely worse places to be. (Except for Hawaii of course! ;))

Its funny you mention that because i got an email from Hawaii this afternoon that they received funding for two more assistantships, so I'm in the running again to get one of those. So once again, when i thought i had solidified a hierarchy of the schools, they throw me another curve ball.

Edited by Itsem

Its funny you mention that because i got an email from Hawaii this afternoon that they received funding for two more assistantships, so I'm in the running again to get one of those. So once again, when i thought i had solidified a hierarchy of the schools, they throw me another curve ball.

That's good though! I mean, I know it sucks that when you think you have things someone solidified that it gets all lose again, but still - I've learned that anything can happen between now and the final decision. I say go visit SFAI, see how you feel. Maybe you'll love it. Or maybe you'll feel that HI is a better choice. You still have a little time to decide.

there are income-based student loan repayment plans! I don't think you'll ever have to get extra jobs to make student loan payments

http://studentaid.ed...ormsOfRepay.jsp

Thank you Obama!

Indeed, this is a wonderful thing...and, just in case anyone is interested (esp. those interested in MFA/MBA combo programs), even in the high-dollar world of MBA's there is a similar option...places like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia give major payment breaks for those that want to work in "Social Enterprise" (for a non-profit, museum, government entity such as the Library of Congress, etc.)...there are goodies to be had!

Edited by OutWest

Heading out to Penn Station to catch the train to Bard for my interview...

Good luck to everyone and hope there is some good news out there for you all.

GOOD LUCK! All you have to do is be yourself!

Hello all! My name is Laura, and I am currently applying to an MFA in Photography for Fall 2012.

I have only applied to three schools: RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology), SVA (School of Visual Arts), and ICP-Bard (International Center of Photography and Bard). My main priority is to stay in New York City (I did my photo undergrad at Parsons), but RIT has called and accepted me! offering quite a generous amount of money in scholarship, plus money in assistantship.

ICP-Bard called me for an interview two weeks ago, and they said they would notified within a week. I still haven't heard from them. They say they interviewed about 30 people, and about 12 people get in. Has anyone here applied to their program, interviewed, and heard anything back?

Finally, SVA is the longest wait. They will notify via email on April 1st.

Nervewrecking. Fingers crossed, but am ready for a no. And regarding Rochester... I am just so insecure about the idea of moving from the city to Rochester. What about the contacts, the clients, all the stuff I've build up in NYC? Will Rochester be challenging? Any piece of advice you guys might have, let me know! :)

Recieved an acceptance email from Pratt on 3/9, an acceptance email from BU on 3/8 with some funding. Got an acceptance letter from Parsons with some funding on 3/14. Just waiting on SVA now. Interview went well so we will see...

Design0521, you got an interview from SVA? Is that something solely pertinent to Communication Design, or is it for all MFAs?