PhD applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

TheHymenAnnihilator

Hi Laxman, I think I know who you are. Sorry about Duke.

As for the results page Chicago spat, I just posted a result that as a student i know no offers have been made and I don't believe individual subject areas have even finalized their choices (there is a final meeting across subject areas to divvy up PhD slots between them that hasn't happened yet). Maybe an informal, personal email was sent to one person saying they were "likely to get in"... but I imagine since Bible is still interviewing that means another spot is viable or, more likely, nothing is decided yet.

Rumors among the students are about another week before the real results will come forth (just rumors, could be more or less, take with much salt). When those do happen, expect a ton of results in all areas at once. Individual areas (e.g. Bible) don't get to notify before the whole divinity school.

To all Vanderbilt Rejectees,

I found a different letter on the Online Application website than the one emailed to me. The one emailed to me was from the Dean of the Grad School, but the letter on the website was from James Hudnut-Beumler. It says basically the same thing, yet feels a little more personal coming from Dr. Hudnut-Beumler who was actually the faculty member I applied to work with.

What a quiet February day... eerie, almost, because Fridays seem to be a good day to either make or crush dreams... ;)

We find it's always better to reject people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

We find it's always better to reject people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

Did the Bobs tell you this?

Sorry, I've been avoiding the cafe--trying to minimize my stress!

I was rejected from both of them :(

Harvard University or Divinity School? I didn't think Harvard University had sent the acceptances/rejections out yet for religious studies/theology.

Harvard University or Divinity School? I didn't think Harvard University had sent the acceptances/rejections out yet for religious studies/theology.

Let me be as clear as possible: (ouch) I was rejected by Harvard University, religious studies--not div school. (/ouch) Ditto for Duke.

Let me be as clear as possible: (ouch) I was rejected by Harvard University, religious studies--not div school. (/ouch) Ditto for Duke.

Ok. Thanks. I applied to Harvard University for religious studies/theology but have not heard anything. Mind telling when you were notified? Many thanks.

Anyone heard from UVA? Saw that one person had received acceptance on Feb. 15. Also, I thought schools send out their acceptances and rejections in a department like religion/theology at the same time. Is this correct?

Anyone heard from UVA? Saw that one person had received acceptance on Feb. 15. Also, I thought schools send out their acceptances and rejections in a department like religion/theology at the same time. Is this correct?

I haven't heard anything from UVA yet. I'm guessing that means rejection. I imagine they'd send out all the acceptances on the same day, particularly given that there are only 12. Holding out hope for the wait list.

Oh sorry. Five spots across all disciplines; one spot in theology/ethics. But my guess is that the majority of applicants were in t/e. Although they seem to be getting more for theology and the arts since Begbie got there. Maybe they'll admit more t/e next year once Bretherton is settled?

Is anyone in the midst of evaluating funding options?

Does anyone know what the standard funding offers are at top PhD programs? I'm trying to get an idea for what is available and what is affordable given my present loan status. I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should negotiate.