Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

hi everyone.

I woke up to a pretty disappointing email today that I was put as an alternate for LDT. I guess it beats a rejection notice but I had a pretty strong application so I'm not sure where I went wrong (167's, 5 AW, 3.6 GPA, 2.5 years in various ed.tech roles).

anyhow, does anyone have any advice for how to proceed? likelihoods of success to get in?

thanks!

somberly,

ottertown

Edited by ottertown

I think the anxiety and waiting has finally gotten to me. I've been sick since yesterday morning, and no end in sight! Headache, low fever, body aches, and sore throat. Yuck! :wacko:

I hope you feel better soon. I was sick a few weeks ago :(

hi everyone.

I woke up to a pretty disappointing email today that I was put as an alternate for LDT. I guess it beats a rejection notice but I had a pretty strong application so I'm not sure where I went wrong (167's, 5 AW, 3.6 GPA, 2.5 years in various ed.tech roles).

anyhow, does anyone have any advice for how to proceed? likelihoods of success to get in?

thanks!

somberly,

ottertown

I had a pretty strong app too and I got waitlisted for POLS. I just think that they had a really strong applicant pool this cycle. At least it's not a flat out rejection. I'm not sure what the likely hood of getting off the waitlist , but be sure to reply to the email to say you want to be considered as an alternate. Or else they wont put you on the list...

Hey ak1, so sorry about Stanford but Penn is a great school - I've applied to the IEDP program there and it's my first choice (I just applied so there's a long time till I hear). Is there where you're headed? I've been following this forum for a while and read earlier than Penn had only given you a small scholarship. I have the same problem with Stanford (I got in for IEAPA) and honestly, I can't imagine taking such a hefty loan. I'm from Pakistan btw and I want to return home after a masters so there's no way I could pay back such a loan. Salarys in education here are dismal, cleaners make more than us teachers (those of us who work in under served neighbourhoods atleast).

How are you going to be covering the rest of the cost of penn (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm guessing you've weighed the pros and cons of a loan and would really appreciate some advice. Are you planning on returning to India?

Hi n2011!

Congrats on Stanford! Penn will respond to you in exactly 4 weeks. That's one of the most wonderful things about them - they don't torture you much! :P

I accepted my offer from Penn late last week, as it was my first choice school so it made no sense waiting. I'm in for IEDP too. The scholarship and assistantship they offered me covers around 1/4th of the tuition. I plan on taking a loan for about 20000 USD and using up all of my savings! It is a hefty loan, especially for people from India and Pakistan. I intend on working in the subcontinent but am not sure if I will return immediately after my Masters.

As far as the pros and cons of a loan go, it really depends on how much money you can contribute towards your education. A loan of over 30k would be very difficult to pay off, if you intend on working with Pakistani NGOs etc. However, international organisations pay very well, so if you're headed there, a biggish loan might make sense. It really depends on how useful you think your time at your school would be. Weighing the pros and cons, I came to the decision that Penn was worth it because of the exposure I'd get there. And the faculty is brilliant!

What other schools have you applied to, btw?

I had a pretty strong app too and I got waitlisted for POLS. I just think that they had a really strong applicant pool this cycle. At least it's not a flat out rejection. I'm not sure what the likely hood of getting off the waitlist , but be sure to reply to the email to say you want to be considered as an alternate. Or else they wont put you on the list...

perhaps we should start a support group for people devastated by wait-list decisions.

Is there a difference between wait list and alternate? what did your email say? mine had a link to a survey to confirm my interest

perhaps we should start a support group for people devastated by wait-list decisions.

Is there a difference between wait list and alternate? what did your email say? mine had a link to a survey to confirm my interest

No, I was an "alternate" too. Sigh...

Same email.

Hi all,

I have been reading through this forum for some time... I have noticed that there have been several acceptances to Vanderbilt's Education Leadership Policy And Organizations Ph.D. program, and one for the ExpERT program as well... but I haven't heard anyone talk about these programs specifically on the forum? Just wondering who has heard from Vanderbilt for the Ph.D. program in these areas and, if so, were y'all invited to an interview weekend?

Edited by amberjones149

hi everyone.

thanks!

somberly,

ottertown

I completely bombed my GRE. So, I don't know to what degree they have factor in test scores. Did you apply to HGSE?

hi everyone.

thanks!

somberly,

ottertown

I have a 4.0 GPA & did well on my GRE, but I don't know if that mattered at the end. I also have conference presentations and research experience, which I think is a stronger indicator of my academic aptitude. I would think that would matter more, considering you're applying for more schooling? But I don't really know; each school might have various criterion.

Edited by delight

I completely bombed my GRE. So, I don't know to what degree they have factor in test scores. Did you apply to HGSE?

yeah I did. I hate to be indignant about the decision but I really don't understand where I fell short. i have a pretty strong e-learning record.. admissions is such a frustrating process.

will you be attending for sure? either way, congrats and best of luck.

Edited by ottertown

Rejected from Stanford. Surprisingly okay with it. I think I feel slightly relieved because it was the app I put the least heart into. Lol probably a sign that I secretly didn't want to go.

Ehh...totally understand. When I got my rejection from Penn it hurt a little but it quickly passed. When I went back to look at my SOP for Penn it really wasnt that strong. I know why I didn't get in. I really tried to force a "fit" there. My SOP for Michigan was significantly stronger than that for Penn. I guess I sort of already knew that I didn't really make sense there.

" admissions is such a frustrating process."

YES!!!!! It sort of feels random. You just have no idea if they are going to like you or not. And an acceptance at one school is NO indication that you will be likely accepted at another.

yeah I did. I hate to be indignant about the decision but I really don't understand where I fell short. i have a pretty strong e-learning record.. admissions is such a frustrating process.

will you be attending for sure? either way, congrats and best of luck.

Admissions process is fraustrating. You definitely seem qualified. I think my letters of recommendations and leadership roles in educational technology were the strongest parts of my applications. I spearheaded the development of an eTutoring platform for undergraduate students at my university. We reach about 16,000 people. I have three other relevant experiences in educational technology, but I feel like starting the eTutoring platform was my hook.

Technology, Innovation and Education at HGSE is my number one choice. So I hope I will get accepted.

Edited by Airwick

It took a little over 5 weeks for me to hear back from them too.

Mine was a little over 5 weeks as well. It was about 5 weeks until I got a phone call -- but another almost week after that until it showed up online (I refused to believe the acceptance until I saw it in writing)