Official Admitted Thread

Accepted at UW's Evans MPA, UCLA's Luskin MPP, and Oregon's MPA (also to American, but for an IR degree...).

Anyone have good insight on the comparison between these schools?

UCLA hands down but UW is stronger than UO in the PNW that's for sure.

For UW Evans, did you get notified via email or postal mail?

Looks like we can expect to get the same amount for year 2, and assistantships exist. However, so far it looks like it's impossible to get tuition/fee remission. $64k/year cost of attendance... Yikes. Chicago is amazing, and I know there's a good case to be made that it's worth the money.

Edit: this is re Chicago

Edited by state_school'12

So apparently today was the day I decided to message grad school offices. I emailed 4 schools, asking for updates on funding (slash even trying to negotiate better funding at one place)... hopefully now I'll get some news. And hopefully better than Tennessee's response :P

Denied by Goldman (probably my original first choice), got into Harris with 10k a year. Anybody have thoughts on Harris School vs. Gtown (got 20k) vs GWU (unknown funding, but already 15k cheaper tuition) for Public Policy with a focus on economic issues?

Congratulations to all the admits

Also just got in to Harris. Do they reveal your scholarship award with your admissions letter? I didn't get anything explicit for them, probably going to ring them up endlessly...sigh. Not going to go without scholly though. Might defer if Yale dings me.

P.S. I'm international, if anyone outside the US is waiting on decisions!

Edited by kkdk

Also just got in to Harris. Do they reveal your scholarship award with your admissions letter? I didn't get anything explicit for them, probably going to ring them up endlessly...sigh. Not going to go without scholly though. Might defer if Yale dings me.

P.S. I'm international, if anyone outside the US is waiting on decisions!

I'm an international student too...Sigh...Did you just receive the email?

In at Chicago, but no funding :( Came as a bit of a surprise since I got very generous offers from other programs, but definitely not as a shock, after all it is one of the best policy schools in the nation and I didn't have a strong quantitative background. Congrats to all who got in! Just curious, did your admission email contain funding info? Just wanna make sure I didn't miss anything.

Edited by MartianQ

In at Chicago, but no funding :( Came as a bit of a surprise since I got very generous offers from other programs, but definitely not as a shock, after all it is one of the best policy schools in the nation and I didn't have a strong quantitative background. Congrats to all who got in! Just curious, did your admission email contain funding info? Just wanna make sure I didn't miss anything.

yes, it's the second paragraph of the email. sorry to hear that, but don't sweat it - ultimately it's only about 1/6th of the cost... congrats on getting in!

Admitted to Harris today with $10k scholarship, mentioned in 2nd paragraph of email. My UCLA letter did not mention funding, so I am assuming I did not receive any. I would pay in-state tuition at 19k/year. I wonder if Chicago knocking $10k off tuition would make it close enough to the cost of UCLA w/o funding to be worth it...

In other words, how much is a fair price to pay for a few extra prestige points?

Both great schools, US N&W Report ranks UCLA#14 vs. U-Chicago #10 for general public affairs and specifically for policy analysis UCLA #20 vs. Chicago #7. I know a new set of rankings comes out in a few days, but I'm not expecting huge changes.

Anyone have a strong opinion on the subject? Thanks!

Denied by Goldman (probably my original first choice), got into Harris with 10k a year. Anybody have thoughts on Harris School vs. Gtown (got 20k) vs GWU (unknown funding, but already 15k cheaper tuition) for Public Policy with a focus on economic issues?

Congratulations to all the admits

U-Chicago has the #1 economics dept in the country and is in the top 7 for every economics specialty, and is a HUGE name in the field. Its reputation is very conservative ("Chicago School of Economics" almost synonymous with neoclassical theories of longtime Chicago professor Milton Friedman) but getting less so now. Georgetown ranks #46 in the Economics Dept, and between 10-20 for policy specialties according to current USN&WRep rankings. So I would go with Chicago--unless you know you want to end up in DC after graduation--then neither school will steer you the wrong way.