The Silence is Killing Me!

abrayto1

I'm shut out. I accepted a school but I really wanted to hear back from one of schools in Illinois. I applied mid jan for feb deadlines. Wtf. Not even a " no rejected or you're on the wait list" NOTHING. pop poo

I'm shut out. I accepted a school but I really wanted to hear back from one of schools in Illinois. I applied mid jan for feb deadlines. Wtf. Not even a " no rejected or you're on the wait list" NOTHING. pop poo

Congrats Yoshite!

Also, Gneiss1: I love your username!

I'm still waiting on two schools (both of which had deadlines in early January). One I'm waitilisted at, the other I have no idea. For the second one, I've emailed the department grad secretary twice, once in early March and once in early April and I never got a response. I'm trying my best to hold out from calling them until Monday just to give them time if they are sorting out the waitlists, but this is crazy. I knew it was possible but I never thought I would still be waiting after April 15th.

Also, Gneiss1: I love your username!

Thanks:) And don't give up yet! I thought it was over for me, but good news still came. Some places are just behind and others are getting to waitlists now. Best of luck to you:)

The wait is finally over for me. I just got the news that I'm going to UPenn this year. OMG this is not a dreammmmmmmmmmm OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Huzzah and hurrah! I hope you're breathing again :)

I too have already accepted a school, but would really like to hear back from THREE schools that I've heard nothing from. I feel like with all the time, effort, and money I put into applying that they could at least acknowledge my application, even if it's with a rejection letter. I noticed in your signature that you too are overcoming a terrible undrad gpa, I kind of wonder if the schools I haven't heard from just took a look at my ugpa and tossed my application aside.... into one of those circular filing cabinet :)

I too have already accepted a school, but would really like to hear back from THREE schools that I've heard nothing from. I feel like with all the time, effort, and money I put into applying that they could at least acknowledge my application, even if it's with a rejection letter. I noticed in your signature that you too are overcoming a terrible undrad gpa, I kind of wonder if the schools I haven't heard from just took a look at my ugpa and tossed my application aside.... into one of those circular filing cabinet :)

Hehe I'm pretty sure mine ended up in an "floor inbox". I called one school yesterday and they I would know by Wednesday. I have the feeling rejection is coming. I have no idea what one school is doing I finished my application 2 months before it was due and it's been silence.

actually they use those apps to line the floors of the kennels of the DGS's dogs usually

Just keep goin' and always put your chin up always.

WOW too much positivity ... you must be a neophyte like me :) ... if not this bodes even better for me so thanks!

Well uic told me I'd know by Wednesday. That day has come and gone with nothing. I'm assuming the run around is a no

there's a chance they misspoke and meant next week? :(

It could be but by then I'll already have a lease signed to live in Louisville. I think this is the universe telling me it's time to move on from Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

So has anyone else been given the silent treatment. I applied to 9 social psych grad programs: 8 Ph.D's and 1 Masters. I am going crazy because I have only heard back from one school and that was my undergrad institution which is also my safety school. Don't get me wrong I loved my undergrad school and my potential mentor would be really amazing but I really really want to hear from other places.

Right now I am worried that all the silence means I'm rejected from all the other schools which is an incredibly soul crushing thought. I've seen a few rejections and interviews on the results page but not a ton. I've also e-mailed some schools but they all respond with "your application has gone to committee review." Is there any hope for me that the silence doesn't mean rejection?

Also how bad would it be to attend my undergrad school for grad school? I've heard of it as academic inbreeding but right now its looking like my only choice if I want to start grad school next fall.

Thanks!

I know this is way late, but just thought I'd chime in, just to give you a better picture of the situation for grad applicants in other programs.

For my program, (engineering), I applied by Nov 1 (because I'm an international student), got my admit offer on Feb 28, and my funding offer on Mar 22. Judging from the results survey, I was one of the first to be admitted for that uni and that program.

So I had to wait a good 3 months before even knowing if I was admitted. The POI said that this season had the highest number of applicants in 10 years.

What I'm saying is, not hearing back in 1 month is not a reason to bang your head against the wall. (P.S. I only applied to 1 uni in the US, so you can imagine how high the stakes were for me)

Edited by avicus

The admission application for University of British Columbia's Master of Eng (Mechanical) opens on 15th November 2011.

I made the electrionic submission on the 18th November and had the supporting documents mailed to the University in early December 2011.

The application closes on 01 Feb 2012.

It is 5th May and almost 6months (or half a year) since my application and I am still waiting with no news of my application status. I don't even know if I am on the waitlist or not.

Oseirus,

I haven't been active on gradcafe lately, but for a while there, I was 'following' your journey like you were the star of 'The Truman Show'! LOL :D (I'm probably dating myself with that movie reference fromm '98 :wacko: )

Have you heard back from your schools about funding? Are you all sorted and know where you'll be headed???