Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

A hoy hoy, I'm looking into applying for Fall (Autumn as I would call it) 2013 over this side of the world. I'm in Ireland so a bit stumped at the whole process. I'm currently finishing up a second masters (Library & Information studies) having completed one in history in 2008.

I was eager to do one here at home in Digital Humanities, but realised I would rather go abroad to study for a few years. I don't suppose there are any decent places online that bring together all the history programmes, or any sites that advertise studentships.

For the UK jobs.ac.uk is brilliant particularly if you are looking for funded PhDs and there is another which has even more, but I don't see anything like that for the USA and Canada.

The American Library Association website (ala.org) has a HUGE listing of every program for digital humanities/library science in the country. What I love about that one is that you can search by geographic location on a list or on a Google Map. Of course, it's only going to include schools that are accredited by the ALA so if a school has a digital humanities program but not a library science/information science program then it won't show up.

I used publichistory.org's database as well but unfortunately I believe it's got a bug at the moment.

Best of luck!

Hey guys, I am trying to get into an African History PhD. The problem I have is I only got a 3.2 GPA this past Spring semester as an Africana Studies major, which I just recently switched too and created myself.. The semester(F/2011) before that I was a Broadcast Journalism major and only got a 2.8 GPA.

Prior to attending the university I go to now, I was at a community college, and majoring in journalism where I got a: 3.1,3.3,3.5, and 3.6 GPA respectively. I also recently took the GRE where I got a 148 V/142 Q/3.5 W. I can get some really good LORs as I'm close with my school's Provost. I'm also really close with a lot of professors who have already expressed how much they would like to write LORs for me. I also plan to take the GRE again in August and hope to improve my scores.

One the reasons why my GPA hasn't been as high as I'd like, is because I work a full time job on an overnight shift, and I go to school full time. Therefore, I haven't been able to do the type of work I know I'm capable of, and I haven't been able to do a lot of extra-curricular activities because of work. Before going to school I was also in the U.S. Navy, in both Active and Reserve components.

Honestly, what are my chances of getting into an African History PhD program for Fall 2013?

Hey guys, I am trying to get into an African History PhD. The problem I have is I only got a 3.2 GPA this past Spring semester as an Africana Studies major, which I just recently switched too and created myself.. The semester(F/2011) before that I was a Broadcast Journalism major and only got a 2.8 GPA.

Prior to attending the university I go to now, I was at a community college, and majoring in journalism where I got a: 3.1,3.3,3.5, and 3.6 GPA respectively. I also recently took the GRE where I got a 148 V/142 Q/3.5 W. I can get some really good LORs as I'm close with my school's Provost. I'm also really close with a lot of professors who have already expressed how much they would like to write LORs for me. I also plan to take the GRE again in August and hope to improve my scores.

One the reasons why my GPA hasn't been as high as I'd like, is because I work a full time job on an overnight shift, and I go to school full time. Therefore, I haven't been able to do the type of work I know I'm capable of, and I haven't been able to do a lot of extra-curricular activities because of work. Before going to school I was also in the U.S. Navy, in both Active and Reserve components.

Honestly, what are my chances of getting into an African History PhD program for Fall 2013?

Given your background, it may be worth giving PhD programs a shot but I would definitely include some MA programs. The GPA is only one factor- your LORs, SOP, and writing sample (showing evidence of quality original research and analysis, and writing) matter much more. If you haven't been able to write high quality papers, you need to make time to revise of them so it shines. Take your time with this- skip the upcoming cycle if you have to. It's difficult enough as it is to apply and you want to do what you can to reduce the number of times you apply if all possible.

I recommend that you reach out to Safferz. She had a very successful application cycle last season and may be able to offer some solid guidance. Edited by Sigaba

Thanks guys! But do any of you know how grad schools view grades after you have changed your major?

For example I used to be a Journalism major, then I changed my major to Africana Studies half way through my junior year. How will adcoms view my GPA?

I second ticklemepink-- you would do well to look at MA programs, which might give you a boost for applying to PhD programs later on. I looked into creating my own major in undergrad, and was advised against it because I planned on grad school. The reasoning here was that it would be hard for people to read my transcript and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the particular department I was coming from if I didn't actually have a department. It's also more difficult to gauge how rigorous the course of study was.

Since lots of schools offer a degree in the major you designed, it might be a bit different for you, but an MA would definitely help you cover your bases.

As for GPA, if it dramatically increased after you switched majors (which it sounds like it did?) I think that would be seen favorably... but maybe someone else could weigh in on that.

It honestly depends on the program. There is no way of telling ahead of time if they are going to throw you to the slush pile or not. My advise would be to apply to a few more programs than the standard 8ish that most people do.

From my experiance programs in the top 20 history departments in the country look for diversity in their cohorts, while those in the 20-50 rankings will often be much less forgiving of their applicants blemishes. I know that sounds weird.

For example I used to be a Journalism major, then I changed my major to Africana Studies half way through my junior year. How will adcoms view my GPA?

RW06--

In addition to focusing how you might shore up what you may consider competitive disadvantages, don't sell yourself short on things that work to your advantage.

While you may not have completed the major in journalism, you did study it. Figure out ways that your work in that field will help you as a graduate student in history. Professors have to read a lot. If you demonstrate that you're a proficient writer and link your skill level to your study of journalism, you might give members of an admission committee something to think about.

Alternatively, if (and only if) you have a continuing interest in journalism, you could weave that interest into your SoP. As a graduate student, you most likely will have to do work in an outside field. If (and only if) you're seriously contemplating doing that field in journalism, you can point that out.

IRT the topic of grades.

MOO, if you are entering your final year of college, there is not much to be gained by worrying about your previous grades or a change of major or your academic pedigree or how a graduate program might interpret any of these factors. These types of matters are beyond your control.

Concentrate on those factors that you can control in the "here and now." Your writing sample, your SoP, your rapport with those writing your LoRs, your preparation for the GRE, your final year of coursework, and the process by which you select the programs to which you'll apply.

For many of you, this process will be among the most stressful experiences you have yet had. But do what you can to keep a sense of perspective. Do not panic. Do not freak out. Do keep your head up. Stay focused. Believe in yourself. Look at the process as a learning experience. Manage your expectations when you interact with professors and departmental staff. Treat the process not as one of the final steps of your experiences as an undergraduate, but as one of the initial steps of becoming a professional academic historian.

HTH.

For many of you, this process will be among the most stressful experiences you have yet had. But do what you can to keep a sense of perspective. Do not panic. Do not freak out. Do keep your head up. Stay focused. Believe in yourself. Look at the process as a learning experience. Manage your expectations when you interact with professors and departmental staff. Treat the process not as one of the final steps of your experiences as an undergraduate, but as one of the initial steps of becoming a professional academic historian.

I LOVE this advice! I would add two things:

It's also one of the initial steps to working in a history-based field (archives, library science, etc.)

Have a back up plan.

Speaking of back up plan - I've determined mine. If I don't get into grad school/don't get funding I am going to move to Prague for a year, teach English or something of the sort, and attempt to learn Czech.

What are everyone else's backup plans?

Backup plan for me: If I don't get into grad school with full funding, I'm going to teach english abroad or apply for my local americorps. If I don't stay local, I'll apply for a few environmental-themed americorps programs out of state or teaching fellowship program I found in San Francisco.

My back up plan is to go on a worldwide walkabout, though I'll be applying to UK unis too so I hope it'll be ok. Just need to get out of Ireland for a bit, if I can do that through studying all the better.

My backup plan: A museum job of some sort. I'm considering also applying to a few of the one-year museum fellowships, although those are also extremely competitive...

Hey guys,

I finished my undergrad about a year ago and I'm hoping to apply to Masters and PhD programs this coming season. I have a Bachelors in History and Classical Languages from a state university (8 semesters Latin, 5 semesters Greek, 4 French, learning to read German). 3.89 (Summa cum laude). GRE: v167/q150.

I have a honors thesis that I think needs a lot of work to turn into a writing sample. I'm having a hard time knowing what I should expect from myself for the writing sample.

I'm interested in Late Antique history, particularly patristic literature and early Christian studies. I'm also interested in economic and social history and interdisciplinary work with scientific research, a la Michael McCormick, Walter Scheidel, etc in the same period.

Looking into these programs: Classics at University of Chicago, Princeton, Stanford, Washington University in St. Louis, Penn. I'm also looking at History programs at Harvard, UVA, Notre Dame, Michigan, and UW. And Early Christian Studies at Notre Dame and CUA. Obviously I need to narrow this list down and work on some second tier, third tier schools.

That's all for now. I'm going to try to stick around and stay in touch as things progress.

Cheers.

I have a honors thesis that I think needs a lot of work to turn into a writing sample. I'm having a hard time knowing what I should expect from myself for the writing sample.

@benedicite--

If I may, I recommend that you expect from yourself a paper that demonstrates your ability to do research with primary source materials, to think about your findings within one or more historiographical contexts, to develop an argument, and then to present that argument in a piece that is thought out, smartly organized, thoroughly documented, and well-written.

This is to say, do not psych yourself out by thinking you must submit a writing sample that changes everything.

Edited by Sigaba

My backup plan: A museum job of some sort. I'm considering also applying to a few of the one-year museum fellowships, although those are also extremely competitive...

I'm currently working in an academic library for the next year, having been studying librarianship for the past year. I'm fortunate enough to have worked in my National Library too for a year. Though not the same as a museum, there are plenty of worse ways to spend a year. I got to see some first edition Joyce, Yeats and Swift on a near daily basis.

Edited by Weepsie

Really awesome to hear everyone's backup plans!

@Weepsie - Are you referring to the UK National Libraries? I'll be studying at Aber in the fall which is just down the hill from the National Library of Wales and I'd love to intern there.

And a question for y'all - the schools I'm applying to want a writing sample that ranges from 5-25 pages. The paper I want to use is 20 pages. How in the world do you shorten a paper from 20 pages to 5 while still showing I can do the research and analysis necessary for a graduate school program? Should I not condense and just use an exerpt instead? Or use a source analysis which is closer to 5 pages?

Really awesome to hear everyone's backup plans!

@Weepsie - Are you referring to the UK National Libraries? I'll be studying at Aber in the fall which is just down the hill from the National Library of Wales and I'd love to intern there.

And a question for y'all - the schools I'm applying to want a writing sample that ranges from 5-25 pages. The paper I want to use is 20 pages. How in the world do you shorten a paper from 20 pages to 5 while still showing I can do the research and analysis necessary for a graduate school program? Should I not condense and just use an exerpt instead? Or use a source analysis which is closer to 5 pages?

Do you really need to shorten the paper to 5 pages? If the paper length is still less than the maximum number of pages, I don't see a need to cut a large section of the paper completely just to make 5 pages. I would cut out any fluff you see and go from there.

I had a 35 page writing sample. For the applications that required less, I chose a couple of chapters, and added a quick abstract and table of contents so they could see what else was in the paper.

For five pages, I would probably submit a different paper but thankfully, the shortest sample I had to send was 15-20.

@CageFree - danke! My 20 page paper isn't divided into chapters but I think I could easily divide it if I had to. Did you include the table of contents as part of the sample page count, along with your bibliography or are those considered "freebie extra" pages?

Just give them the text with footnotes. A very short abstract will do if it's part of a thesis. Otherwise, keep it simple. They don't have a lot of time to mull over your writing sample.

@CageFree - danke! My 20 page paper isn't divided into chapters but I think I could easily divide it if I had to. Did you include the table of contents as part of the sample page count, along with your bibliography or are those considered "freebie extra" pages?

I was right in the middle of the "count" so it would have been long enough without them.