Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Uh Oh...I think I see an iceberg a few weeks in advances..AND WE ARE HEADING STRAIGHT FOR IT...

Who will make it on the life boats and make it to Accepted With Funding Island?

Interesting analogy.  So would "without funding" then be "without a paddle"?  I suppose the tides might take you right past the Island, but the only way to make landfall would be to jump out and swim for it... at the risk of drowning, of course. 

Haha I keep on getting telemarketing calls from an unknown CA number. Come on!

So yesterday, unknown caller, but number is showing; rarely happens.  In a strange twist somewhat related to the above lifeboat analogy, I answer the call and "AHHHOOOOO!"  It's a (*sensored*) recorded sales call, the sound is supposed to be the horn of a crusie ship blowing.  They want me to go on vacation.  Yeah, me too ass hat, me too.

You guys think Michigan will be soon?

I wish I knew about this one.  Last year, a look at "results search" reveals, they sent out many acceptances and rejections on February 2nd. 2012.

Newbie here. Congrats to the Duke person! Did you just randomly check or did you get an email telling you to check the website...(mine still says 'decision not ready'). Cheers!

When you guys receive acceptances, are you reaching out and making contact with the professors listed in your SOP? I was thinking of doing so today but am not sure what's normally done.

But to compare to the scenario in Life of Pi, a paradise island might mean danger underneath. Who knows? God has a plan for everyone. So hang in there. We only know God's plan for us after it happens. It might turn out better than what we had originally wanted.

Interesting analogy.  So would "without funding" then be "without a paddle"?  I suppose the tides might take you right past the Island, but the only way to make landfall would be to jump out and swim for it... at the risk of drowning, of course. 

So yesterday, unknown caller, but number is showing; rarely happens.  In a strange twist somewhat related to the above lifeboat analogy, I answer the call and "AHHHOOOOO!"  It's a (*sensored*) recorded sales call, the sound is supposed to be the horn of a crusie ship blowing.  They want me to go on vacation.  Yeah, me too ass hat, me too.

I wish I knew about this one.  Last year, a look at "results search" reveals, they sent out many acceptances and rejections on February 2nd. 2012.

When you guys receive acceptances, are you reaching out and making contact with the professors listed in your SOP? I was thinking of doing so today but am not sure what's normally done.

I wouldnt do it personally unless there was a 75% chance you will attend. Why reach out to someone at UCDavis if you get into your dream school? Assuming that UCD is not your dream school of course..I think its kinda wasting their time unless again you are 75% sure you will attend.

But thats just me.

I wouldnt do it personally unless there was a 75% chance you will attend. Why reach out to someone at UCDavis if you get into your dream school? Assuming that UCD is not your dream school of course..I think its kinda wasting their time unless again you are 75% sure you will attend.

But thats just me.

Good point. Thanks. I'll see how the dust settles.

But thats just me.

Great idea followed by great advice, in my opinion.  There is a certain amount of "stand-offishness" I've adopted in regards to my schools, because I don't want to "fall in love before prom" (so to speak).  When I get rejected, I will look at the school no longer.  If I get accepted, I will be looking up everything!  School fight song, department history, make a trip to the library for journal articles by the people in the department -- and after I get a good head on my shoulders for the school, the program, and the people, I'll start reaching out to start a discussion.  Proviso... IF I get accepted anywhere.

Just curious about the details of the Duke admit. I'm really hoping for that one and would love to know exactly what changed when you logged into your application. For example, my status just reads something like: "Congratulations! Your application has been submitted". TIA and a big congratulations to whoever got that one!

Will probably be bumpin next friday

Agreed. It's still only February 1 - I'd expect the sparks to really fly next week and the week after. Based on past years, I've been expecting most of my schools to send out acceptances/rejections starting next week. Hasn't stopped me from compulsively checking my e-mail though.

Been lurking for a while.  Into Texas A&M, UIUC, and FSU.  Looking very closely at FSU, because their quant. emphasis is incredible.  Waiting on WashU, and it looks like my hopes at Duke might be crushed.  I've applied to other schools as well.  I was rejected at OSU, but I heard that they are mainly a strong program in American, so I'm not that offended.  I tend to think of it as if a professor doesn't think there's someone I can work with at their school, I'd rather not be there.

Just curious about the details of the Duke admit. I'm really hoping for that one and would love to know exactly what changed when you logged into your application. For example, my status just reads something like: "Congratulations! Your application has been submitted". TIA and a big congratulations to whoever got that one!

I think that decisions are posted at the applicants.siss.duke.edu page, where there is a table for status of application.  

Congrats to the Duke admit!!

The posted acceptance was for an international applicant, so maybe they were notifying international applicants first or through a slightly different process. (at least that's what I'm hoping!!)

In addition to Apply Yourself, Duke also has a self service website, which shows your app status.  You can set up an account through the following links:

http://www.sissoffice.duke.edu/prospectivestudents/applicantsid.html

https://applicants.siss.duke.edu

I'm also hoping the posted rejection is premature... my status also still says "Decision Not Ready"....