Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

To those who are attending visiting weekend or visiting day

Can someone tell me why University like Maryland or Virginia don't hold any kind of visiting events to attract their admitted students? 

Is it because of financial problems for these public school? But it doesn't make sense since I heard some other publics do hold?

I believe visiting days will definitely help me make my decisions~ 

Maryland doesn't have an official visit weekend, but they do reimburse prospective students for a visit weekend and set up all of your meetings, etc. The director said they are thinking about having an official weekend in the future, but for now this is what they have always done. 

In regards to U Maryland College Park: has anybody gotten an email/something notifying them of a rejection?  

I applied to UMD in a previous admissions cycle, and my rejection letter was dated April 22nd...

it will probably be awhile..

EDIT: if you check the department website, you can read their March newsletter... it seems like they're finished with acceptances :(  i won't believe it until i see it though. 

Edited by hashtag

Their website states that they admit 6 to 8 with funding (see below).  I also read/heard somewhere that more positions are offered, but without guaranteed funding.  I've not yet given up hope - no reported acceptances for IR :)

If anyone has been accepted by Georgetown: can you please advise whether your status has changed in the online application system??

Q: What are my chances of getting a full fellowship? 

A: The competition for fellowships is quite competitive. The Department of Government offers anywhere between 6 to 8 full fellowships (stipend and tuition scholarship for up to five years contingent upon satisfactory academic performance) to incoming students. Our stipends are approximately $18,580 per academic year.

Source : http://government.georgetown.edu/57324.html

My status hasn't changed. 

UWSpades --

Any idea when that weekend will be?

Thanks much --

It'll be in March, though I'm not sure which weekend. The timing of UVa's spring break (the week of the 10th) makes me guess it will be the 22nd-24th weekend, but that's completely and entirely speculative.

It'll be in March, though I'm not sure which weekend. The timing of UVa's spring break (the week of the 10th) makes me guess it will be the 22nd-24th weekend, but that's completely and entirely speculative.

Thanks~~It's very helpful

I will expect their visiting weekend information. Any idea UVa will fund my flight ticket?

Only two acceptances from Princeton on the results board? So anyone who hasn't heard should expect the worst?

You can probably assume that only two acceptances from Princeton means that anyone who hasn't heard should not expect the worst. 

Professor of Interest. A faculty member with whom you are likely to work.

Dudes, remember how those Yale "admits" lingered and there was all this out-freaking and then one day Yale accepted a bunch of people and several regular posters claimed admits and there was a full page of "Congrats!!"?

Calm down about Princeton. We'll know.

Thanks~~It's very helpful

I will expect their visiting weekend information. Any idea UVa will fund my flight ticket?

If you're flying from within the U.S., yes. If not, I have no idea. You should be getting an e-mail in the next week or so from the DGS with details.

Only two acceptances from Princeton on the results board? So anyone who hasn't heard should expect the worst?

Meh, It looks like POI's are the ones sending out emails, so they'll probably trickle out throughout the day. Could even be a Yale situation where POIs send out a few of the early emails, while others have to wait for official notice.

Their website states that they admit 6 to 8 with funding (see below).  I also read/heard somewhere that more positions are offered, but without guaranteed funding.  I've not yet given up hope - no reported acceptances for IR :)

If anyone has been accepted by Georgetown: can you please advise whether your status has changed in the online application system??

Q: What are my chances of getting a full fellowship? 

A: The competition for fellowships is quite competitive. The Department of Government offers anywhere between 6 to 8 full fellowships (stipend and tuition scholarship for up to five years contingent upon satisfactory academic performance) to incoming students. Our stipends are approximately $18,580 per academic year.

Source : http://government.georgetown.edu/57324.html

Schools usually accept more people then they enroll, so I would say that the 8 fellowships mean 20-24 acceptances. However, not all people that apply are on gradcafe posting results, so we'll see. 

Schools usually accept more people then they enroll, so I would say that the 8 fellowships mean 20-24 acceptances. However, not all people that apply are on gradcafe posting results, so we'll see. 

What you're describing is the undergraduate approach to admissions.

Per my understanding, at the doctoral level, this isn't how it works.  Any time that an admission with funding is offered, that money has to be earmarked for that individual until he/she makes a decision.  That's why there is such a push to have students reject offers that they know they are not going to take - so that they free up that space for someone on the waitlist.  This is the reason that admissions trickle out over a period of months, and that people sit on waitlists seemingly forever.  The doctoral admissions program is a much more nuanced dance than undergraduate or masters.

Anyway, that's my understanding of it.

Last year, around 14 people posted acceptances from Georgetown, and most of those said they were wait-listed for funding.

I would guess that they admit around 30-40 people to yield an incoming class of ~20 (in 2011 they had a class of 19) but again, only 6-8 of these will have fellowships, according to their website. 

Any time that an admission with funding is offered, that money has to be earmarked for that individual until he/she makes a decision.  That's why there is such a push to have students reject offers that they know they are not going to take - so that they free up that space for someone on the waitlist. 

I've gotten a couple emails from people arranging grad. school visit weekends where you can see everyone on the cc list, so I know that one school admitted 40 people and another 39 this year, and each aim for a cohort of 18-20 or so. If each predicts that ~20 people will reject them, any individual person who says no doesn't clear a spot on the waitlist. That would happen only if >20 do so.

i think it's a bit early to be turning down spots if you're still considering them, even if faintly. People also might be holding onto admissions to see if they can get schools to negotiate against each other with stipend offers.  I feel that sometime around March 15th is the appropriate time to notify schools if you won't be attending, which gives them a month to move wait lists to acceptances, and gives people a month to decide.

Georgetown might be different because it's a smaller program. If you all end up going, D.C. is great!! But don't live in Georgetown. Columbia Heights/Petworth is what's up.

Edited by setgree

Last year, around 14 people posted acceptances from Georgetown, and most of those said they were wait-listed for funding.

I would guess that they admit around 30-40 people to yield an incoming class of ~20 (in 2011 they had a class of 19) but again, only 6-8 of these will have fellowships, according to their website. 

Consider me corrected - at least, about the beginning size of the cohort.

Am I right about funding, though?  I think that point still stands ... ?

Georgetown might be different because it's a smaller program. If you all end up going, D.C. is great!! But don't live in Georgetown. Columbia Heights/Petworth is what's up.

Columbia Heights is a nice area, but it's quite a schlep to get to Georgetown from there (unless you have a car).  What about Rosslyn?  Boring?  Sure.  But it's close to school, and the prices are comparable to CH.

have people been communicating a lot with schools they've been accepted to? I'm tired...

I'm not really sure what to do because I get an email almost every day from one or other school I got accepted to, and obviously I can't respond with intelligent questions to all of them. (I can barely respond with intelligent questions at all. I know they can't un-admit me, but for some reason responding is still somewhat anxiety-producing haha.) I mean, it's probably best to just ask whatever BURNING questions you have, when they arise!

Columbia Heights is a nice area, but it's quite a schlep to get to Georgetown from there (unless you have a car).  What about Rosslyn?  Boring?  Sure. 

Capital bike share. It's 3 miles from Mt. Pleasant to Gtown, it;s $75/year, and Roslyn is toooooo boring.