Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

For all the faculty:

I have a question about SOPs and stated fields of interest. So, my stated research interests are firmly in the comparative field. But much of my research experience and graduate coursework is on IR and diplomatic history.

Does this disconnect harm me? Its not like the IR/history topics I studied are unrelated to my stated interests--I am interested in studying the Middle East, and my past work has been on US policy toward the region.

Also, for people whose research interests are located on the border of two fields, does that harm them in the admissions process?

Thanks!

For all the faculty:

I have a question about SOPs and stated fields of interest. So, my stated research interests are firmly in the comparative field. But much of my research experience and graduate coursework is on IR and diplomatic history.

Does this disconnect harm me? Its not like the IR/history topics I studied are unrelated to my stated interests--I am interested in studying the Middle East, and my past work has been on US policy toward the region.

Also, for people whose research interests are located on the border of two fields, does that harm them in the admissions process?

Thanks!

This a good question, but it doesn't have a straightforward answer other than YMMV. In general, background and prior studies matter as signals of future performance; students often shift their focus once in graduate school; the distinction between CG and IR is already pretty blurred. I'd think evidence of either language skills -- or the ability to acquire relevant languages -- would be more important than a shift from "US policy toward" to "the region itself." But so much of this process hinges on who happens to be reading your files in a given year that I'd be wary of generalizing. 

With Harvard's rejection (I emailed them), that's it for me this year -- no acceptance. This is already my second year trying, and there won't be a third one.

It isn't totally hopeless though since I am on UNC's IR wait-list. Let's see.

In the meantime, good luck to you all!

With Harvard's rejection (I emailed them), that's it for me this year -- no acceptance. This is already my second year trying, and there won't be a third one. It isn't totally hopeless though since I am on UNC's IR wait-list. Let's see. In the meantime, good luck to you all!
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you have success in whatever endeavor that you now embark on (or maybe that waitlist comes true!)

With Harvard's rejection (I emailed them), that's it for me this year -- no acceptance. This is already my second year trying, and there won't be a third one.

Sorry to hear. I'm on my second go around so I know the feeling.

Any chance you got an indication if all acceptances/waitlists were out?

Sorry to hear that! And good luck with UNC, there's still hope!

To the people who posted information on U of T and UCLA, thanks very much guys from a long-time lurker.

Just as everybody here: freaking the hell out as April approaches.

Also thanks to everybody here (and surely to faculty members) for very interesting discussions and useful comments.

P.S. thought that actually signing up for an account on the grad cafe would be the final indulgence of my anxiety. Now the line is crossed and I'm damned.

Any chance you got an indication if all acceptances/waitlists were out?

You mean Harvard? No I don't. The email I got from the department is a standard email for the rejects.

I am really sorry to hear that...hope you are lucky with UNC.

You mean Harvard? No I don't. The email I got from the department is a standard email for the rejects.

I think this whole procedure is terribly frustrating. Universities should notify all applicants at once. This way they just make people nervous and hopeful, which in most cases is wrong hope...

I think this whole procedure is terribly frustrating. Universities should notify all applicants at once. This way they just make people nervous and hopeful, which in most cases is wrong hope...

Can't blame Harvard for this one. I emailed the department to make an inquiry and the graduate coordinator there replied me quickly (with a generic letter). The formal rejection / acceptances, however, are handled by the graduate school. How they'll do it, I don't know. 

Can't blame Harvard for this one. I emailed the department to make an inquiry and the graduate coordinator there replied me quickly (with a generic letter). The formal rejection / acceptances, however, are handled by the graduate school. How they'll do it, I don't know. 

Last year it was by mail...lol

My condolences.

This a good question, but it doesn't have a straightforward answer other than YMMV. In general, background and prior studies matter as signals of future performance; students often shift their focus once in graduate school; the distinction between CG and IR is already pretty blurred. I'd think evidence of either language skills -- or the ability to acquire relevant languages -- would be more important than a shift from "US policy toward" to "the region itself." But so much of this process hinges on who happens to be reading your files in a given year that I'd be wary of generalizing. 

I'd agree completely, especially with the last sentence. I've seen different people weight different parts of a file very differently, without much rhyme or reason. Having a different direction in UG than the one you want to take in grad school strikes me as no big deal for most people, but a disqualification for that one committee member who had a student just like that twenty years ago and that student lingered for a decade and never did finish and spent lots of time in my office and get off my lawn....  That sort of thing. But I suspect most of the time, on most committees, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Claiming a Harvard admit.

I'm also still waiting to hear from Chicago.

And so my heart drops. What subfield? (Congratulations btw)

I guess I'll wait a day or two before calling because it seems Harvard sent out emails over multiple days in the past.

Edited by Doorkeeper

Does anyone hear from UT Austin?

I keep checking the website but still see ''In Review''. Anyone has the same problem with me? 

Congrats on Harvard!

Also waiting on Chicago.

Me too. The cycle is finally over for me except Chicago--I actually called today to tell them I did not want to be considered for the MA since I've been accepted to PhDs elsewhere, but they couldn't tell me anything about the status of my application.

I recall a post a while ago where somebody said something to the effect of schools like Chicago and NYU don't bother accepting people they think will be admitted to higher ranked programs, even if they are a good fit. Is that actually true? Would a department take that sort of risk given the stochastic nature of the process?

Congrats and condolences to all on their fortunes this cycle, long time lurker. Has anyone been wait-listed at Maryland or Delaware yet? All I have seen posted are acceptances. Also has anyone had any type of notification from either Temple or SUNY Buffalo?

Got rejected from GWU today. Getting in would've been nice, as I basically live down the street and the Foggy Bottom Whole Foods is pretty awesome. At any rate, assuming Texas finally gets around to telling me they've rejected me, that ends my application season, except for a couple MA programs I applied to as fall-back options.

I'm pretty thrilled to have gotten in somewhere after striking out last year. Not having a choice between programs doesn't really bother me as I only applied to places I was excited about (and no, I am not claiming that this is an original strategy) and started this application cycle knowing that all I needed was one admit to come out successful. 

I hope everyone who is still waiting for their first acceptance or is on a wait-list hears good news soon. Similarly, to all of you fortunate enough to have choices, I wish y'all the best of luck making your decisions.