Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

If I am admitted off of the waitlist, for the next 5-6 years I will always feel that I am not worthy enough to be in that program because you know that you were not their first choice.

Dude I went somewhere that waitlisted me undergrad. I got over it. you can too. All that matters is that you get in somewhere.

Edited by setgree

For identification purposes, I can’t give you the long and complicated answer to that question. I will admit that I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to school, so when I don’t do well by my standards it is crushing.  It also doesn’t help that I overanalyze everything.

I do realize that rejection is common in academia and that I am not Gods gift to Political Science (I am not one of those prospective students that has an ego), but the waitlist is the “you are good, but not good enough” list. If I am admitted off of the waitlist, for the next 5-6 years I will always feel that I am not worthy enough to be in that program because you know that you were not their first choice.

However, if I do have to go through another cycle, I will follow all of the advice you have given on this thread so far. I only applied to 7 schools and looking at my choices at least half of them were terrible for me in terms of fit, which explains my results.

Aside from obvious things like trying to increase GRE scores (they were decent and within the averages of the schools that I applied to, but not stellar) and fixing minor problems in the SOP, the only thing I can think of is my writing sample.

I know being waitlisted is a good sign, but at the end of the day it is not an acceptance. 

really we can't take these admissions decisions so personally, as hard as that may be.  as various posters have said, there could be multiple reasons why someone is waitlisted, accepted, or rejected for that matter... it's a complicated process and taking it personally only makes it harder and more frustrating....

Dude I went somewhere that waitlisted me undergrad. I got over it. you can too. All that matters is that you get in somewhere.

me too, and I never thought twice about it... during the admissions process we are no more than a few stats and a stack of papers (an important stack of papers, of course, but a stack regardless).  it's hard to get in the door, but what matters is how you perform once you're in.

Someone in my grad school cohort who was wait-listed and eventually enrolled without funding ended up as clearly the star of our cohort. They got their first job at a top 5 department and now have tenure (early) at another top 5 department. Nobody remembers whether or not you were wait-listed or where you ranked in the admissions process once the admissions process is over.

I still have not heard from Berkeley, which is very disappointing (mainly because I paid a 100 $ application fee and I think I can therefore expect to be informed not much later than anyone else). I also wrote them on Thursday, but did not receive any answer so far. I remember that several people had the same problem a few days ago. Is this still the case? Has anyone else not heard from Berkeley?

I have not heard from Berkeley either. I'm guessing they either forgot we exist or we are on some kind of a soft wait list. 

Hello fellow folks-that-need-a-legitimate-hobby! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can anyone comment on the utility of these official visit weekends? I'm in a position where I could visit a school outside of the official visit weekend and not take any time off, or visit during the weekend and have to torture my schedule a bit. I'd be happy to go if it's going to be a more informative experience, but if I'm just missing going out to a bar with some other prospects, I'd rather not take time off.

Anyone waiting for GWU, check the apply yourself page. Looks like that school is not actually informing you. It is just up their for you to happen upon. Waitlist for me. There are rejections on the board too.

Thanks for pointing us to the site! With that, I'm officially done with this cycle.

Certainly wish I did a better job this application season, but after reading the conversation above, I figure that we should all take some time to look at how far we've come. Rejections might be demoralizing, but they don't determine your worth. Way too many factors come into play, and some of them are just simply out of our hands.

Edited by NBM

Hello fellow folks-that-need-a-legitimate-hobby! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can anyone comment on the utility of these official visit weekends? I'm in a position where I could visit a school outside of the official visit weekend and not take any time off, or visit during the weekend and have to torture my schedule a bit. I'd be happy to go if it's going to be a more informative experience, but if I'm just missing going out to a bar with some other prospects, I'd rather not take time off.

I don't think the difference is too big between the two. The upside of going on an individual visit is probably that all attention is on you, while at a visit weekend you might get to meet some of the members of your potential cohort.

I'd go with the individual visit if that's easier for you, but it's purely a personal preference on my part.

Thanks for pointing us to the site! With that, I'm officially done with this cycle.

Same. My cycle is now over. And...no rejections oddly enough. But weirdly, I don't feel exuberant because of that....wait lists suck and decisions are going to be hard.

(1) Professors are busy people. If you want to make sure you get the chance to speak to as many professors as possible, go during the official visit. If you are only interested in meeting with your POI, make an appointment and go visit on your schedule. You may get the chance to visit with a few other profs also, but email ahead for an appointment. 

(2) Student input is important. How do students perceive the program? Are they happy? Do they get what they need from the faculty and staff? What is the dynamic between funded and unfunded students? These things may seem trivial, but you will spend more time with other students than you will with faculty. One of the benefits of scheduled visits is the likelihood of being able to meet with students. You may be able to find an email list of current students or you may be able to work with the grad coordinator to get time with students outside of the official visit. But, like professors, students are busy, especially toward the end of March/early April. 

In the end, it really depends on the school and the structure of their visit. I ended up turning down an offer from a higher ranked school (top 35) for UF (49th). I have a great advisor for what I am studying and I am happy. I do not know what the alternative would have brought, but I would not have made the decision I made if I would have limited my visit to a POI. 

Finally, different strokes for different folks. Others will likely disagree with me. Some will agree. You really have to decide what it is you want and try to get it from the DGS if you go on a non-scheduled weekend. The good news, they are trying to recruit you so the DGS will try to set you up as well as he/she can. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Edited by uflkel

I went on two visits that were outside of the official visit days and they were both worthwhile. One program in particular did a great job of making sure several professors in my area of interst were available - and that is no small feat, as someone else noted. They also organized a morning coffee with several current students in my subfields. It was a great trip that sealed the deal on my decision.

Individual visits can be far better than the big group weekends, as long as you are a little flexible on the dates to allow the program to line up the right meetings for you.

The latest GW entries on the results board are, for the lack of a better word, fun to read. 

(Edit: To avoid sounding insensitive - I was one of the rejects. Looks like we are not THAT upset by the news, but pissed about how the news was delivered.)

Edited by NBM

Anyone want to claim the Harvard admit?

If they do it by phone, and at this speed, because some time has passed since this guy was informed and no one else has claimed an offer, I am afraid that they might not inform everyone today... which I of course still hope.

Edit: okay, now there is another offer by mail. :)

Edited by polisciapplicant210

really we can't take these admissions decisions so personally, as hard as that may be.  as various posters have said, there could be multiple reasons why someone is waitlisted, accepted, or rejected for that matter... it's a complicated process and taking it personally only makes it harder and more frustrating....

me too, and I never thought twice about it... during the admissions process we are no more than a few stats and a stack of papers (an important stack of papers, of course, but a stack regardless).  it's hard to get in the door, but what matters is how you perform once you're in.

I just want to reiterate this point. The admissions process is a bit of a "salami factory." Committees work in a low-information environment and have to reject most of their pool. Not only can't you take your status personally, but you should always choose the program you want to attend -- regardless of whether you were admitted in the first round or off of a wait list. 

I just want to reiterate this point. The admissions process is a bit of a "salami factory." Committees work in a low-information environment and have to reject most of their pool. Not only can't you take your status personally, but you should always choose the program you want to attend -- regardless of whether you were admitted in the first round or off of a wait list. 

I totally buy into this (also, can we sound the 'faculty' alarm, once again?). Honestly, I started irrationally taking rejections seriously for a long time, but in the past few weeks shifted to thanking my lucky stars every single day for the great news I've been given. It's been an enormous relief.

I totally buy into this (also, can we sound the 'faculty' alarm, once again?). Honestly, I started irrationally taking rejections seriously for a long time, but in the past few weeks shifted to thanking my lucky stars every single day for the great news I've been given. It's been an enormous relief.

Faculty alarm? Good idea. We eat brains. 

Edited by dnexon