Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Thanks! I haven't heard from them yet too! 

The way this cycle is going, I'd actually jump at MAPSS/CIR. 

The first time I applied for programs, I was rejected from every school, save for a single wait-list.  It happens.

But you know, the second time around, I came at it more prepared, more knowledgeable, and honestly, more selective about my choices.  I have a much better understanding of what to expect from a program than I did before.

So chin up - if not this year, next year!  And you'll be better prepared. B)

The first time I applied for programs, I was rejected from every school, save for a single wait-list.  It happens.

But you know, the second time around, I came at it more prepared, more knowledgeable, and honestly, more selective about my choices.  I have a much better understanding of what to expect from a program than I did before.

So chin up - if not this year, next year!  And you'll be better prepared. B)

I came into this process with no expectations (for a variety of reasons like not being a Pol Sci major).But I've learnt a lot and I think doing a Masters would be a step in the right direction. So yeah, I'll celebrate if I get MAPSS/CIR, else I'll be at LSE in the fall. All in all, I feel alright.  :)

I haven't heard anything from UFL,UVa,UMD,GWU,Binghamton yet. Should I count myself rejected anymore?

Has George Washington U even started announcing decisions? I don't remember seeing anything on the board. Last year seems to indicate admits being in late Feb. 

Has George Washington U even started announcing decisions? I don't remember seeing anything on the board. Last year seems to indicate admits being in late Feb. 

They haven't, and they always seem to come later, so I wouldn't stress on that one.

1) Rejected at Stanford...Me too

Me  as well y'all. shit happens.

2) "one of the incentives of making quality comments on here could be that there is a slim chance a professor at one of the schools to which you have applied identifies you as a thought provoking individual and will reward you with their support in admissions." This strikes me as absolutely not within the realm of possibility. Same is true of the idea that U Chicago kid is hurting his/her chances anywhere by putting down UCSB. No way do adcoms behave like this.

3) Personally, I hope the application process will prep thinner-skinned/folks for how much worse grad school and the academic job market will almost certainly be. Or, as a Swarthmore professor put it: "What you need to know first is that graduate school will almost inevitably suck. A lucky few have a great time. They’re the exception. For most, it will hurt. It will be humiliating. If you have suckled off the mother’s milk of the approval of your teachers until the point you arrive for your first graduate seminar, get ready to have a professor dislike you for no other reason than he or she disagrees with you. It won’t matter that you do all the work and do it well. You’ll be treated like a colleague inasmuch as you will be subject to the bruising ideological, intellectual and social conflicts that characterize academic life. Your views and actions will be taken seriously in that sense. But they’ll be taken seriously at exactly the moment that you most lack any platform to stand upon, when you lack any independent profile outside of your relationships with your professors and your discipline.

No one is going to pat you on the head and tell you how wonderfully smart you are for sassing them anymore. That time of your life is over." (http://weblogs.swarthmore.edu/burke/?page_id=4_)

4) This is one reason I'm a bit surprised people apply more than once. The opportunity costs are SO HIGH and there are so many fun things to do, so many adventures to have. Anyone who is on their second round care to speak to why they gave it another go?

Edited by setgree

According to the email I received earlier last week when I inquired, that means we made the wait-list (and are presumably still on it until they finish making decisions; told that would be mid-March at latest).

Really? Your roommate just got rejected recently, right? It looks like they might be rolling out rejections? How stressful...

Well, this gives me hope! :)

Edited by summerecho

4) This is one reason I'm a bit surprised people apply more than once. The opportunity costs are SO HIGH and there are so many fun things to do, so many adventures to have. Anyone who is on their second round care to speak to why they gave it another go?

Some costs are not measurable, but then I've always been more of a poststructuralist (my IR nerds will understand me here). 

If you get rejected the first time around and you don't want to apply again, then it is a sure sign that you do not belong in academia. Getting into a PhD program is tough and the difficulties do not end there (for example, everyone can expect to have their articles rejected from journals). However, most of us are well aware of the downsides of doing a PhD and we accept it and continue with our studies. To get through a PhD program, and life in general, does not only require being smart, but persistent. 

I'm on my second round. I gave it another go because I'm passionate about my research questions, I have loved teaching in the past and the academic lifestyle is attractive to me. I also sensed that I could improve my application significantly, and so far the results have shown the wisdom of this intuition.

In terms of opportunity costs, it's hard to tell whether you're describing the opportunity cost of applying or attending, but I'm confused either way. The cost of a new round of applications is actually relatively low, in my opinion. The cost of attendence should equally dissuade applications in the first place.

There are lots of adventures in life, but you always have to choose the ones most attractive to you, and any career will llimit opportunities in different ways. If the package of adventures seems vastly better to a person than a suite of attainable others, it makes perfect sense to try more than once.

Some costs are not measurable, but then I've always been more of a poststructuralist (my IR nerds will understand me here). 

If you get rejected the first time around and you don't want to apply again, then it is a sure sign that you do not belong in academia. Getting into a PhD program is tough and the difficulties do not end there (for example, everyone can expect to have their articles rejected from journals). However, most of us are well aware of the downsides of doing a PhD and we accept it and continue with our studies. To get through a PhD program, and life in general, does not only require being smart, but persistent. 

I read in a book...I forgot the title, it was something like Why Smart People Fail in Graduate School or something like that, it echoed the same thing. Your intellect isnt going to help you when you have 100's of pages to read a week + teach a class + research...persistence is what is going to get you through

So, to start a new topic of conversation, I had a talk with a few directors of graduate studies in the last few weeks and one thing I've consistently found amazing is the different perceptions within the department of which other schools they compete with. It really has been incredible to see who schools think they vie for candidates with.

Heads up to those waiting to hear from JHU: I emailed to ask where or not all acceptances had gone out and the admin person responded with "Letters will be going out by the end of this week." I'm assuming this means rejection letters, but I have no idea.

Just wanted to pass the word along.

So, to start a new topic of conversation, I had a talk with a few directors of graduate studies in the last few weeks and one thing I've consistently found amazing is the different perceptions within the department of which other schools they compete with. It really has been incredible to see who schools think they vie for candidates with.

Interesting...any surprises?