Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

LOL guys. Just got a second rejection letter from Michigan, except it's clearly not for me (I have no idea what the Bunche institute is). Posting in case someone else recognizes it. 

"I'm writing in my capacity as the director of grad admissions in Political Science at the University of Michigan. It was nice to meet you at the Bunche Summer Institute last June and see you again at our Emerging Scholars conference in September, and I am glad you were interested in our program. Our admissions committee has now finished its review, and unfortunately we are not able to admit you. We received a large number of incredibly competitive applications and were able to admit less than ten percent of the applicants.

I am sorry to be the bearer of what must be disappointing news. I do wish you the best of luck in your applications and for your future in general."

That's a quite personalized rejection huh. But wrong email address

too bad the wolverine site was down... otherwise i think everyone would've been put out of their misery much more quickly with a blast/mass rejection... much easier that way

Yeah.  That, or if only someone invented a technology to send a form message to multiple recipients at the same time.

Edited by Quigley

The Berkeley email was to check the status on the site, with a PDF on the site...so unsure if it is a blast or not. Possibly they are going in some sort of alphabetical order? I am SO EXCITED, my personal statement for Berkeley was a mess but I think if they liked it, they will like me!

Really best of luck you guys. Y'all are so supportive. Hearts.

Congrats on the Berkeley admit!!!

Now I'm wondering how many theory ppl have now gotten in and just haven't posted yet or aren't even on GC.....refresh refresh refreshhhhhh

seems pretty quiet today (besides the trickling Mich rejections)... I guess that's par for a Monday.  I do think this week is going to be the most action-packed yet... fingers crossed for good news.  without an acceptance in hand, it's getting hard to maintain a positive attitude....

The real question is: would you rather receive someone else's rejection or someone else's acceptance? 

i'd go with rejection... don't know if I could take the let down of reading an acceptance that was mistakenly sent to me... of course, if I was also accepted, I wouldn't care!

So one of my friends just told me she heard news from the department that Columbia admissions committee is wrapping up way faster than they had expected and may send out decisions this week!

Anyone else thinking Valentine's day has the potential to be really crappy or really awesome (not that it doesn't on it's own....)?

So one of my friends just told me she heard news from the department that Columbia admissions committee is wrapping up way faster than they had expected and may send out decisions this week!

Anyone else thinking Valentine's day has the potential to be really crappy or really awesome (not that it doesn't on it's own....)?

this just increased my heart rate to about 1000bpm. nerves overload...

this just increased my heart rate to about 1000bpm. nerves overload...

Yeah, same. I'm sorry to have sparked this though! Just thought people might want to know

Who knows, it could end up taking them longer to take that last step?

Fingers crossed for all waiting to hear!

I don't mean to be the one obsessing over Minnesota, but is it just me or their rejection system (killing dreams slowly rather than crushing it quickly) is entirely different from previous years? 

Agreed. I'd love to rip the bandaid off quickly, and between Minnesota and Penn, I'm still stuck to my computer, even though I'm assuming that I'm not in. 

Agreed. I'd love to rip the bandaid off quickly, and between Minnesota and Penn, I'm still stuck to my computer, even though I'm assuming that I'm not in. 

I'm starting to assume that I'm not in at Penn since I didn't get anything in what appears to have been an email blast earlier today.

...Apparently living in the Midwest doesn't qualify one to go to school here... still waiting on "the Minnesota Miracle..."

with admits to UCLA and UCSD, Minnesota winters may be a distant memory by the time you graduate.

Congrats on all the admits over the past few days! 

I'm wait-listed at UC-Irvine. I know this is slightly a long-shot question but does anyone know the track record UCI has with admitting wait-listed candidates? Or, how large their wait-list is?

Was it a blast email? Still haven't heard from them. ):

Purely guesswork here but...do we figure that programs stay away from letting people know at the beginnings of weeks?

Maybe? I'm guessing adcomms are generally meeting at the beginning of the week through the middle, at least.

Was it a blast email? Still haven't heard from them. ):

I'm starting to assume that I'm not in at Penn since I didn't get anything in what appears to have been an email blast earlier today.

Same here