Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

just got waitlisted at Upenn. it was a weird email, basically saying you've been admitted but there's no funding, Penn  requires that every grad student receive full funding, so until we come through with the money, you actually haven't been admitted. I heard M.I.T. Econ does the same thing and that if you get the NSF, you're in.

It's gotta be tough for the smaller programs. Having said that if i were Penn and I wanted to woo people away from the top 10, I'd start by offering bigger and better fellowships. But I suppose that ~25k per year x 5 is not trivial.

Cash Rules Everything Around me,

Dollar, Dollar Bill, Y'all

Is a "committee meeting" a one day thing? or is it spread out into multiple days

It is definitely a multi-week process...committee meetings are definitely multiple days...but I think at this point we are likely just talking about one main final meeting in which the adcom makes primary choices for admittance and then a small secondary one (maybe) if they have to seriously turn to the wait list.

Claiming a Colorado rejection and UC Irvine wait list.. Erghh I wish I wasn't working so I could properly obsess over my email and the results board rather than refreshing frustrating tabs on my iPhone.....

Has anyone actually gotten a rejection from Chicago or MIT yet???

I sure haven't. I assume whoever mentioned the possibility that Chicago's passed their rejects onto the MA program is right. Lame.

But, hey! A green line on the results board. Congrats to the Notre Dame admit!

Edited by aulait

I sure haven't. I assume whoever mentioned the possibility that Chicago's passed their rejects onto the MA program is right. Lame.

Interesting - unlike other programs, I can't see a 'do you want us to refer you to the MA program?' question on their application form.  A decent number of applicants will already have an MA - one is enough!

Man, phone calls with POI's can be pretty awkward! Especially when they somehow magically call you the moment you step out of the shower/are asleep. Maybe we should start another thread with some intelligent questions to ask on calls/grad visits? I feel like I am opening my mouth and out comes "uh. I like school. How is school?"

Man, phone calls with POI's can be pretty awkward! Especially when they somehow magically call you the moment you step out of the shower/are asleep. Maybe we should start another thread with some intelligent questions to ask on calls/grad visits? I feel like I am opening my mouth and out comes "uh. I like school. How is school?"

from previous posts, it sounds like they should be used to people responding with nonsense haha, so i would not worry.

Interesting - unlike other programs, I can't see a 'do you want us to refer you to the MA program?' question on their application form.  A decent number of applicants will already have an MA - one is enough!

They refer you to their MA programs whether you like it or not lol Or at least that's what happened in my case last year.

They refer you to their MA programs whether you like it or not lol Or at least that's what happened in my case last year.

Why, did you ask them not to refer you to the MA? I checked the box not to be referred, already have an MA so not sure why they'd suggest, or I'd desire, another!

Why, did you ask them not to refer you to the MA? I checked the box not to be referred, already have an MA so not sure why they'd suggest, or I'd desire, another!

Exactly - I'd prefer they just let me know about the Ph.D. program....