Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

oooh...that's a doozie!  hm...first of all, Congrats!!  I also want to totally agree with your feelings about NOT getting something being the best thing that ever happened to you, I had a very similar experience my senior year of college and I just keep thinking man, I'm SO glad I didn't get it because who knows where I would be right now, but it certainly wouldn't be here and I don't want to be anywhere else! 

As for your little dilemma, I would say do what feels right to you.  Neither choice is a BAD choice, and if it were me, I would really WANT to stay somewhere familiar where I KNOW I am happy, but I would probably choose to take the Fulbright...you've had great experiences in Galicia and nothing will take those experiences away, but you will probably have great experiences in Andorra as well and all you risk really losing out on is experiencing another place, so I'd say take it, appreciate what Galicia has done for you, and look forward to new and different things!  But that's just me...I am totally and completely 100% nomadic by nature so if that's not you, then probably just forget I said anything :)

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

Thanks!!

I suppose I'm probably leaning towards the Fulbright at the moment, although it's going to be so hard to say goodbye to everything I know here! I always thought I was slightly nomadic and more easily attached to places than people, but maybe I just never made as strong connections with people who live so far from where I come from. I'm also a big athlete, and I've been playing on two 3rd division soccer teams (one futsal, one regular) here too, and as silly as it is to want to stay for sports, I'm reluctant to leave those opportunities behind. Thanks for your advice/opinion!! I'll definitely put what I decide on the forum!

I had to reply to this as soon as I saw you were torn with the decision to leave Galicia--I used to teach there last year!  I also wasn't sure if I should stay there or leave (though to try another region of Spain) because I too fell in love with it.  After much agonizing, I decided to move to San Sebastian so I could experience another side of Spanish culture.  Though I don't regret my decision (I've had some incredible experiences here, met wonderful people, and have a much better school), I don't think I would have regretted staying in Galicia either.  I was just there for Semana Santa and was reminded of how magical it is.  Now that I am off to Russia on a Fulbright, I am a little daunted by the idea of starting over in a third place in three years (but obviously more excited than nervous!).  And I speak more Russian than Basque or Galician :)

Basically, I don't think either decision will be bad.  If you go to Andorra, you'll be with a better, more organized program.  You'll have a completely new cultural experience and you'll probably pick up some Catalan.  But if you stay in Galicia, you'll deepen your ties there and build on your experiences from this year.  I think it just comes down to if you want breadth or depth of experience.  Good luck with your decision and congrats on having two great options!

Aww, I love hearing from other people who lived in Galicia! I'm sure I won't regret Andorra, but I can definitely see being happy staying here, of course (probably MORE easily at the moment, just because it's more concrete to me). I definitely AM excited, and like with you and Russian, I speak more Catalan than Galician. I studied Catalan some in college, which is partly why I applied, and I'd like to live somewhere where it's spoken.

Thank you!!

Congrats!!!! You will definitely have great experiences and invaluable development no matter what you choose. I am an alternate for the Fulbright in Andorra this year. Any advice or is it just a "wait and see" process ? :)

Aw, thanks! Wow, it's so strange to hear you say that. As an alternate last year - knowing that feeling - just you saying that makes me almost want to decline, just so it could go to you. Last year I wanted more than anything for someone to decline so I could have it. No matter what I do, definitely remember that NOT getting it last year was the BEST thing that could have happened to me, so I'm sure whatever happens for you will be wonderful, and you should definitely apply again if you don't hear more from them (it worked for me!).

Unfortunately, it is just a "wait and see" process. I just didn't hear anything from them after the initial email. I hope someone else declines and you get the news you want! Good luck!

I am an alternate for Sweden.

Does anyone know the stats for people turning down their acceptance?

I think they find more funding rather than people turning down Fulbright. Just a thought though. 

Anyone else going to Singapore? I just got my confirmation today.  Also - anyone going to programs in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, or the Philippines? I'll be in and out of those areas throughout the year and would love to meet up with other fellows!

Congrats! I've heard the Balkans are amazing. Someday I want to do a Croatia-Greece trip. I'm just hesitant right now because I'm a little paranoid. I know Bosnia and Montenegro are pretty safe now, but I don't know about Albania... I'm probably just ignorant though.

Thanks! The Balkans ARE amazing. The are really underrated... and super affordable to visit! I highly recommend a trip if you're ever near the area--Croatia and Bosnia especially! And no, I don't think you're ignorant at all--Albania has a pretty bad rep, but from what I've heard it's a pretty safe place to visit as long as you use your common sense haha. Anyways, good luck! Hope you hear soon :)

Hey y'all!

So I'm just sitting here filling out forms for my Fulbright and I still can't believe it is real.

I just wanted to send a CONGRATS to everyone who has head so far and a big HUG to those who are still waiting to here. It has been a while since Indonesia sent out letters and it still doesn't feel real. I just wanted to say I still check in and am sending my love and congrats. 

Aloha!

Hey y'all!

So I'm just sitting here filling out forms for my Fulbright and I still can't believe it is real.

I just wanted to send a CONGRATS to everyone who has head so far and a big HUG to those who are still waiting to here. It has been a while since Indonesia sent out letters and it still doesn't feel real. I just wanted to say I still check in and am sending my love and congrats.

Aloha!

Obviously I meant everyone who has heard and those waiting to hear. Stupid phone auto correct. Hugs and Aloha anyways!

Edited by kltree

Hi all - I was recommended for an ETA to Taiwan this year but ultimately not selected.  I am not sure whether I will reapply next year, but since I know that a number of people here did reapply and were successful, I have a question: How much did you change your personal statement?

My thinking is that what was wrong with my application was something that mattered to the country, because I "passed" the first stage, where the reviewers are in the U.S. SO I am thinking, if I made it to the recommended stage, the personal statement probably wasn't too bad.

Assuming that is true, would it be bad to resubmit essentially the same personal statement?  I would re-work the statement of grant purpose because I recognize that there are things that Taiwan was looking for that I did not emphasize. Or should I plan to rework both essays just so as not to appear lazy (in case someone would remember my personal statement from this year?)? 

Also, those of you that applied a second time - did you mention that in your essays?

Thanks everyone, I hope everyone who is waiting hears back this coming week! :D

Congrats!! I'm planning a trip to Sweden in the couple of weeks before my program starts in October, I may have to hit you up for tips as it gets closer, will you be there already? and do you know where you'll be yet?

I'm not entirely sure of the date I'm arriving yet, but I think I'll get there around August/September? I'll be in Stockholm, let me know if that's where you're planning on visiting :)

Hi all - I was recommended for an ETA to Taiwan this year but ultimately not selected.  I am not sure whether I will reapply next year, but since I know that a number of people here did reapply and were successful, I have a question: How much did you change your personal statement?

My thinking is that what was wrong with my application was something that mattered to the country, because I "passed" the first stage, where the reviewers are in the U.S. SO I am thinking, if I made it to the recommended stage, the personal statement probably wasn't too bad.

Assuming that is true, would it be bad to resubmit essentially the same personal statement?  I would re-work the statement of grant purpose because I recognize that there are things that Taiwan was looking for that I did not emphasize. Or should I plan to rework both essays just so as not to appear lazy (in case someone would remember my personal statement from this year?)? 

Also, those of you that applied a second time - did you mention that in your essays?

I would highly suggest NOT using the same personal statement.  Whatever you've done in the year between will hopefully shape you and your concerns more than before, so it's good to rework it.  Not sure if it's necessary to say you applied twice.  I don't see how that would help your chances at all.

Umm....so what does it mean if there is nothing in my inbox...? SSA, why must you play with my heart?!

Did you ever hear anything? Honestly it looks like only alternates got notice, but I hope for your sake that no news is good news!

Good luck to everyone that has been successful and fingers crossed for everyone still waiting. 

I am excited reading about the process because I'd like to do research/postgraduate MSc in Scotland next year, and understand the UK is majorly competitive. Have the 2013-2014 decisions been made yet?

Good luck to everyone that has been successful and fingers crossed for everyone still waiting. 

I am excited reading about the process because I'd like to do research/postgraduate MSc in Scotland next year, and understand the UK is majorly competitive. Have the 2013-2014 decisions been made yet?

Hello fellow Ohioan. (Cincinnati)

Hi everyone. We are so far into this process, which I hope has been a positive one even for those who didn't end up receiving a grant. It sure has been nice to have a community of people to share in this experience and keep morale up! So, this is only tangentially Fulb-related, but I wanted to solicit some advice from you valiant battle-tested heroes of scholarship...

I have accepted a fellowship offer for a PhD program that is good and which I like. They are fine with the idea of me postponing my enrollment in the case that I end up in China (knock on wood...and throw in knocking on metal, water, fire, and earth for good measure) this coming year, with fellowship intact. But, my wife lives in a faraway land (the South), and she and I have only ever lived together for several three or four month stints at a time even though we have been together for almost seven years. I know, it ain't normal, and some might even say it ain't raaght. So I was thinking of asking this program if I could defer for a year to spend time with her in that faraway land. She goes up for tenure this year and plans to move to my location in summer 2015, regardless of the tenure outcome.

The concern is that I would develop a reputation for flakiness right off the bat, on top of the possibility that they would say no. I was planning on selling it using a combination of personal, emotional appeal - the knowledge that time and youth are fleeting has been on my mind a lot recently - as well as giving a detailed proposal for a project which I would be working on during that time. This year they were able to make more admissions offers than ever before, but I don't know if that would have any bearing on their attitude. 

Any advice or comments you might have are now officially solicited, and I will be grateful for whatever you fine people can say. Lurkers welcome.

Yeah, UK was one of the first to notify applicants this year.  Here is a link to the 2013-2014 spreadsheet.  You may find it useful.  Good luck! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Tomorrow it begins again.

ah yes I'm looking forward to it. Our last week of waiting, most like.

Yep. It's already tomorrow here, so here I am, a Norway applicant, checking in for another day to week of wracked nerves! I'll be hitting refresh every few minutes, both in my email and on here (when not napping or in class : P). Best of luck to everyone who hasn't heard, even if I am Norway-centric in my hopes.

my wife lives in a faraway land (the South)

Excellent choice! My family is down there. May I inquire, which state your wife is from?

EDIT: gosh, I keep forgetting that this thing auto-smileys when I don't want it too. : P

Edited by dios Achilleus

Excellent choice! My family is down there. May I inquire, which state your wife is from?

From the great state of West Bengal but lives in the great state of Louisiana. I absolutely love spending time down there - the New Orleans life suits me just fine.

Yeah, UK was one of the first to notify applicants this year.  Here is a link to the 2013-2014 spreadsheet.  You may find it useful.  Good luck! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE#gid=1

Wow! I am super late, hahahahaha. Is it bad that I am applying at large? I did graduate in May 2011, but my school does not have their own in-house application process. I guess regardless, I am going to this uni whether I have to take out loans or not.

Edited by Alejo

I pretty  much rewrote everything. I mean, I did use some of the same ideas that I had written about in my first attempt,  but those were mostly relating to my background and why I thought I would be a good ETA candidate. My first time applying, my essays were very shakey. I knew I wanted to go to Germany, but none of my justifications were very solid. I really thinkg getting rejected helped solidify my desire to go - and solidified my essays. The second time writing my essays was sooo much easier and I felt like I really knew what I wanted to say. I would recommend talking to your advisor or whomever you may have had proof your essays. You very may well be able to keep some parts of your essays, or at least the main ideas. I think an advisor would best be able to help you decide whether or not you should keep portions of your essays or not.

If you are really serious about going to whatever country you applied for, I would highly recommend reapplying. I took a year off in between my first and second attempts, mostly because I had accepted and moved for a new job. I can't stress how much easier the process was for me the second time around, and how much better I felt about my essays once I hit the submit button. I'm so sorry to hear you weren't accepted, but maybe if you are anythign like me, it will just help you next time. To be honest, I'm probably in a better place for this sort of experience right now than I was two years ago, anyway! I don't believe in predetermination or anything like that, but I still can't help but think that things often happen for a reason!

Anyone else going to Singapore? I just got my confirmation today.  Also - anyone going to programs in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, or the Philippines? I'll be in and out of those areas throughout the year and would love to meet up with other fellows!

Congratulations!! I've always wanted to visit Singapore, I'm sure you will have an amazing time!! That's wonderfull, great job!