Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Thanks guys; to be completely honest, I am not that disappointed! I'm excited to move to Oregon to start a PhD and use my scholarship money to buy homebrewing equipment and a fancy new laptop :). I would have preferred to travel now (before I settle down) but a lot of people go abroad for postdocs, so there's always that! I'll be checking in every once in awhile, but I think this is probably it for me; I think I'll remove my name from the alternate list if I don't hear by ~May 20th.

Sounds like you have a plan! It was nice getting to know you here. Good luck with all your endeavors! Check in with us on occasion. :)

Did anybody get notification today?

Good question. I was wondering the same myself. Nothing here.

I got a reply back that the group working on the China apps are a bit inundated right now.

Did anybody get notification today?

I got a reply back that the group working on the China apps are a bit inundated right now.

I hope no one will consider my question condescending, but...

What are the benefits of being Fulbright in the "real world", aside from the prestige?

Does anyone know when the Arab Gulf countries will make their decisions? 

Would appreciate input on both or one of the questions above! 

Hang in there everyone!!!

I do not like the sound of that... How much longer can it take them?

This wait is killing me...

What are the benefits of being Fulbright in the "real world", aside from the prestige?

I think this varies a lot person to person. I'm sure for a lot of people who have applied for research grants, Fulbright gives them the chance to conduct research that will benefit their academic careers (especially with regards to masters and doctoral theses) as well as the chance to make a name for yourself in a specific field. For ETAs, it can be a chance to get experience in a field that they may want to pursue post-Fulbright (teaching English abroad) as well as the chance to get a foothold in a different country if you're interested in living, working or studying there post-Fulbright.

I'm an ETA to Germany, and I think that last bit is the biggest benefit in my eyes -- I've long considered moving to Germany for work or study, and the chance to spend 10 months there getting a feel for what my options might be and what I'd actually like to do is a huge plus for me.

Is there anything else you can share about the China apps? plz and thx

I second this request! :)  I was hoping it'd be tomorrow, but now I'm not so confident. 

Edited by lls11

Nothing in depth. I was asking about the CET Harbin language program and it took them awhile to get back to me. I posted an email previously that was sent to me.

Rereading the letter they say they are working hard on placement and that's why the reason for the lateness. Though... historically China gets notifications around this time. "Late" but on time for them.

And for me, the Fulbright provides a chance to do something in terms of research that I would not be able to do uttered. In a novel field that will budge the field in two powerful countries... Yeah. Just a thing.

Edited by daisusaikoro

The main benefit is simply the opportunity to do a year-long research project way on off out in the world while getting paid and pretty much making a lot of your own guidelines. In the process you probably make a lot of connections and develop a lot of skills that will direct your life down paths it otherwise would never have taken. Of course most people in the world are susceptible to the illusion that "prestige" so often is (you meet really dull Ivy Leaguers), so it might unlock doors for that reason, but I think that should be the furthest thing from our minds in applying. I don't find the question condescending at all, and I'm just giving an opinion. Personally I know that being in grad school (or in the process - "pre-real world") is technically a prolonged phase of preparation, but I make every effort to still try to think of it as the real world, and to keep in mind that in this world exciting and challenging and fruitful and scary experiences are their own rewards. 

I just hope I don't sound condescending. For a second there I was having flashbacks of writing a personal statement, ekh.

The main benefit is simply the opportunity to do a year-long research project way on off out in the world while getting paid and pretty much making a lot of your own guidelines. In the process you probably make a lot of connections and develop a lot of skills that will direct your life down paths it otherwise would never have taken. Of course most people in the world are susceptible to the illusion that "prestige" so often is (you meet really dull Ivy Leaguers), so it might unlock doors for that reason, but I think that should be the furthest thing from our minds in applying. I don't find the question condescending at all, and I'm just giving an opinion. Personally I know that being in grad school (or in the process - "pre-real world") is technically a prolonged phase of preparation, but I make every effort to still try to think of it as the real world, and to keep in mind that in this world exciting and challenging and fruitful and scary experiences are their own rewards. 

I just hope I don't sound condescending. For a second there I was having flashbacks of writing a personal statement, ekh.

As our vocabulary, life experiences, and world views expand, it is increasingly difficult not to sound condescending to others, even if we don't mean it. Coming from the South, I've had to just accept it as part of life. I joke about the "false sense of superiority," but when I go home, everyone treats me like I'm better than them. I could never get a date in high school because I was top of the class, a book nerd. Didn't try to be condescending. I just got pushed up onto some kind of pedestal and wasn't allowed down. I dunno if my experience is unique. 

I think some people have a country they want to go to for various reasons and then find a project or do ETA in that country.  Others have a specific project in mind and then find a compatible country in which to work on the project.  For me, I fell in love with the Middle East when I was there this summer and wanted to go back to learn more about the people and the culture there.  I found a really awesome project too, so that made the decision to apply obvious.  Though, who knows what they will think of my application...

As for the Arab/Gulf countries,....I looked on the spreadsheet and they usually find out by the end of April, so it could be next week, insha'Alla

I think some people have a country they want to go to for various reasons and then find a project or do ETA in that country. Others have a specific project in mind and then find a compatible country in which to work on the project. For me, I fell in love with the Middle East when I was there this summer and wanted to go back to learn more about the people and the culture there. I found a really awesome project too, so that made the decision to apply obvious. Though, who knows what they will think of my application...

As for the Arab/Gulf countries,....I looked on the spreadsheet and they usually find out by the end of April, so it could be next week, insha'Alla

Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu! First, what gulf country are you going to? Have you studied Arabic? Khaliji Arabic? I wonder if Saudi Arabia has a program but I doubt it I guess. What would your project be? It's crazy to look at the data sheets since the Arab Spring began - all of a sudden you start to see N/A all over the place for grants available in the past couple years. Can't remember about the gulf now though, is Bahrain still afoot? Poor Syria. Back in 2008 I couldn't get any govt money to go there since they were considered a state sponsor of terrorism. Allah yar7amuhum

As our vocabulary, life experiences, and world views expand, it is increasingly difficult not to sound condescending to others, even if we don't mean it. Coming from the South, I've had to just accept it as part of life. I joke about the "false sense of superiority," but when I go home, everyone treats me like I'm better than them. I could never get a date in high school because I was top of the class, a book nerd. Didn't try to be condescending. I just got pushed up onto some kind of pedestal and wasn't allowed down. I dunno if my experience is unique.

Man. Yeah I hear you, and that's definitely not my own experience at least. I just hate the idea of prestige associated with a name, is all I'm saying. I went to Big State University before coming to where I am now, where people have a big time elitist attitude, and for sure many of the people back at State were way smarter than a lot of these goofballs here. But my current cohort will have a leg up just cuz of a name, which sucks.

Btw yes I wish we had been comrades on those evening walks in NOLA. If I remember right your project deals with historical linguistics? Definitely my deal but more on the Turkic/Altaic-Chinese side.

I would imagine there is a decent amount of nepotism among Fulbright recipients, so finding employment connections in the future could be a benefit... improving a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. language could be a benefit... probably looks good on graduate school resumes...

At the same time, there are negatives... lost wages... unemployment when returning to the US... potential dangers in the country you are conducting the research... if your research project is not relevant to your career interests, it may not be beneficial...

Good morning! We meet again! ;) Hopefully someone will get some news today.

As to the applicability of the Fulbright, I think if you are going into academia it would be a selling point. Also, if your research is relevant to your long term goals (someone else mentioned this) then it can be helpful. Ultimately, you can spin it however you want. :)

Selected for ETA fellowship in Montenegro!!  

yayyy!! congrats! I've always wanted to go to Montenegro, almost went on a rafting trip there last summer but I ran out of time, maybe we can meet up, I'll be in Croatia and would LOVE to visit you :)