Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

:unsure: Still waiting...I imagined inventing a dialogue of the arguments they are having over who to pick, I imagined that they are each very passionately fighting for those of us on this board to win the scholarships, and that they've argued all day and night for the last 4 months. Obviously the discussions have gotten very involved by this point, and there is a power struggle between the French and the German counties, with the French Swiss arguing that as the Swiss German side already has a majority of the country, in compensation the French should be honored with more grantees, but then the German and the French ganged up on the Italian side, and made sure that they got even few grantees (with apologies to anyone who applied to an Italian province). And the Romansch are just standing on the sidelines, shaking their heads, in utter dismay at the behavior being presented. Shame on you, they say, Switzerland is about equilibrium, so obviously each side should get the same number, no matter the size or population. So the Romansch side with the Italians, and they both throw a coup over the French-German alliance. So then it's May, and they're back where they've started, 12 spots over 3 sections, and they're scrambling to put together their lists as they then deal with rival universitities lobbying for their affiliated candidates. Then it goes to a vote to the general population, and they declare that people will select the winners, but because of the complicated voting process, it will take two weeks to put together the vote. So, then it'll be the end of May before the winners are selected, but they will win by the will of the people, and when they arrive, everyone will know who they are. :D

Oh my god, so much like. Swiss democracy at work.

True, but maybe a western hemisphere group as a whole could be made (assuming there isn't one already)? I just hope to one day be allowed in the ETA group on Facebook...

And it's sad, but I just remembered that ETA is also a terrorist group of Basques in Spain...Did anybody else ever think about that? I can only imagine somebody having a grant in Spain tell somebody that they were an ETA... what looks they might get! Therefore, I hope to be in the English Teaching Assistant group, not the terrorist group! lol

Didn't the ETA formally disband or something like that? So you're all good!  :D

Oh my god, so much like. Swiss democracy at work.
Agreed! So much like!!! I really do wonder what is going on with Switzerland though. Can it possibly be JUST finances at this point or are they just too busy with other things to decide?

Agreed! So much like!!! I really do wonder what is going on with Switzerland though. Can it possibly be JUST finances at this point or are they just too busy with other things to decide?

I can't for the life of me figure out what is taking so long. I have openly admitted to online-stalking the publicity director for the Embassy in Tallinn, since the grants are administered from her office. I begrudgingly looked at the pictures she posted on Facebook and thought "Really, those cupcake photos are more important than my grant?" My life=her paperwork. But, ultimately I am glad they are taking their time to read all the paperwork and mountains of proposals. 

So...Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

And we are here to throw you a floaty if you need one.

I can't for the life of me figure out what is taking so long. I have openly admitted to online-stalking the publicity director for the Embassy in Tallinn, since the grants are administered from her office. I begrudgingly looked at the pictures she posted on Facebook and thought "Really, those cupcake photos are more important than my grant?" My life=her paperwork. But, ultimately I am glad they are taking their time to read all the paperwork and mountains of proposals.    So...Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....   And we are here to throw you a floaty if you need one.
Hahahaha! If I knew who to stalk, I would SO TOTALLY look at their cupcake photos too :)

Hahahaha! If I knew who to stalk, I would SO TOTALLY look at their cupcake photos too :)

Thanks! That makes me feel better.

I am trying to figure out why my contacts at the University of Tartu didn't respond when I told them the Fulbright didn't happen. I am getting that feeling that they are done with me. Which is so strange, because they were so nice when I was there. They were helpful and receptive. I am more bummed about that, than losing the Fulbright.

Haven't posted much here recently, but I have been checking in intermittently. Three thoughts:

1) I think it's WAY cool that they've added those 90 additional Brazilian grants -- fingers crossed for all you Latin American applicants getting a second shot!!!

2) The fact that some people are STILL waiting is absolutely absurd, and kind of pisses me off. I want to be kind and give people the benefit of the doubt that somewhere, someone is doing their best to get things turned around, but it is just so cruel to expect people to keep their lives on hold for this long, and it especially seems like it would be to the detriment of people who don't have the luxury of waiting around because need to make post-graduate plans ASAP. It's punishing people who need to know if they should accept that job offer or that graduate school position and possibly forcing them to make a decision that will harm their future prospects in these two areas, if they are forced to reneg on an agreement at the last moment. It seems somewhat ungrateful to criticize Fulbright, since hopefully in the end they'll be funding your fabulous year abroad, but at the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect final results to come in within four months of being submitted to the individual country's committee. I don't know. It just angers me because it seems very callous.

3) Truly happy for all those that made it in the last few weeks, and my heart goes out to alternates and those who were not selected. I firmly, firmly believe that these things happen for reasons and that if this is the path that is meant for you, something else will come your way. Keep your heads up and don't lose sight of your goals.

Thanks! yes it is great, I;m very nervous though that they are opening it up to others. I think those who applied to Brazil as ETA should get first pick. Well I hope so! I'm sure they only sent it to certain people who applied to ETA in Brazil then certain others who applied on that Hemisphere. I HOPE I GET THIS. I want it more than anything

There's no way to find out what your chances are, but alternates DO get bumped up. They are getting bumped up as we speak! I was promoted from alternate status, along with at least one other Germany ETA, about a week after the deadline to accept the grant for those accepted. I'm assuming a few people rejected the grant once the deadline came and it took them a week to process the paperwork. The other stories around the board seem to involve individual countries getting more funding. And Brazil recently added 90 new ETAships, for which both Brazil alternates and other western hemisphere alternates are eligible to apply. Beyond all that, there's also a chance that at some random point, someone will drop out for whatever reason. But sadly, it's still pretty much a crapshoot. If I were you, I'd stay on the alternate list and try to make other plans.

Correction. I was not a Brazil alternate. I applied as a Brazil ETA and did not get it. In my email they said I did not get it because ther was just a select amount of slots and that I received a very favorable score the first time around and favorable comments so I am not being considered for one of these slots. Does anyone even know if they have alternates for the ETA in brazil? I really don't think they sent this email to everyone though, just alternates on Western Hemisphere and Brazil ETA rejectees who had a high score first time

Alternates for ETA positions in the western hemisphere got them as well. Were you rejected in the final decision or in the recommendation in January? I'm trying to get a feel for how many people are applying... haha. Best of luck! Hopefully we'll both end up happily on the other side of the world soon :)

Hi! I was rejected in the recommendation. I am not applying. They told me I do not have to reapply and that I am now recommended. I don;t think they sent to every Brazil rejectee though  :P

Edited by krys315

Thanks! That makes me feel better.   I am trying to figure out why my contacts at the University of Tartu didn't respond when I told them the Fulbright didn't happen. I am getting that feeling that they are done with me. Which is so strange, because they were so nice when I was there. They were helpful and receptive. I am more bummed about that, than losing the Fulbright.
No, I doubt that. Maybe they are working on stuff behind the scenes for you that they aren't ready to communicate. If they had enough faith in you and your project to offer to host you for a year and endorse you to Fulbright, then they definitely see value in you. It's easy to assume the worst (I do it every day!!) but our thoughts aren't real. I am still hoping you get bumped up!

No, I doubt that. Maybe they are working on stuff behind the scenes for you that they aren't ready to communicate. If they had enough faith in you and your project to offer to host you for a year and endorse you to Fulbright, then they definitely see value in you. It's easy to assume the worst (I do it every day!!) but our thoughts aren't real. I am still hoping you get bumped up!

I am trying to stay hopeful. It's only been a little over a week since I told them. Getting me meant they had someone to help teach U.S. Politics, free researcher at the national election study, and comic relief (not to mention I can cook). So, maybe my friend is hatching a great plan to get me there. It's a nice dream.

Maybe some news will come for you tomorrow, Tuesday feels like a good day. I will be here in solidarity with everyone until the end! ;)

Hi! I was rejected in the recommendation. I am not applying. They told me I do not have to reapply and that I am now recommended. I don;t think they sent to every Brazil rejectee though  :P

Ah, okay. They made alternates from other countries submit an official statement of interest about why they should be recommended for Brazil. I guess your apps already made that case :) I called in today to try and confirm that my letter was received (I was really paranoid), and she said they were processing over one hundred applications, so I'm wondering how many were included in the new round... hopefully closer to 100 than 200!

Alternate to Kyrgyzstan, got my application switched to Tajikistan.

Got an email and voicemail asking if they can call me in an hour. IM DYING HERE Y'ALL

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!! You will do great!

Got an email and voicemail asking if they can call me in an hour. IM DYING HERE Y'ALL

Crossing my fingers for good news! Let us know as soon as you can :-)

FYI - finally got my official letter from IIE today. wewt!

Sweet! Still waiting for mine although I know I won't get it today.

Since it's nice out, my husband decided to leave our dog (a tiny 12 lb mini schnauzer) in the yard. Last year, said mini schnauzer bit our mailman - he

now refuses to set foot in the yard if our dog is around. Whoops.

Best of luck!!! I hope it works out! Please keep us posted! -also how do you switch countries? I am trying to be prepared for anything with this multi-country grant I'm waiting to hear about.

hey! i have a Question about the consent form,... anyone know if declining to be interviewed on the consent form is tantamount to declining the award??? i signed under "accepted and agreed to" on the form, but checked the box "no, i would not be willing to be interviewed". lolz

No. That is simply Fulbright asking if they can interview you. The actual form to accept/decline the award will come from your host country... or at least that is how it worked for me.