Applications for Fall 2013!

I haven't heard great things about Penn's program (from people I know who have gone there or know people who have), plus the price is outrageous in my opinion.  Also, I'm looking to leave Philadelphia.  I would say going to visit would be really helpful

What's interesting is that when I attended one of the info session, a person who is in the field of social work already (and was looking for her MSW) specifically questioned several members of the staff about their program, stating that she had heard in her profession that Penn's clinical focus was incredibly weak and that macro was a bit better.  I think there is a thought shared by some that what you learn in the Penn program is not always practical.  The price is definitely outrageous; thankfully they seem reasonably generous with scholarship funds. But for an Ivy, you'd expect a bit of a higher overall ranking for their program, though I admit those rankings are often based on dubious information...

I'm sorry I didn't get accepted but I can see where there are positives as well.  I'm waiting on USC, but they are supposedly incredibly backed up with applications presently. I also want to hear from Bryn Mawr but I need to schedule my interview as soon as my app is complete.  Edinboro is my back up and is pretty affordable - no prestige but the price tag is right! 

Edited by gradschoolmom

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted into UNC Chapel Hill and SDSU this week! Is anyone else headed to UNC this fall?

If you can tell me how it is to live in North Carolina (as I am from San Diego), that would be great!

Good luck to everyone still waiting for responses!

I went to UNC Chapel Hill for undergrad a few years ago. It's a gorgeous campus with a friendly vibe. As for entertainment outside of the campus, many people go to Franklin street which is adjacent to the campus. The street is filled with shops, restaurants, and a pleuthora of bars. There's also a small town called Carrboro which is walking distance from the campus. It's very trendy and great if your a hipster. Other than that, Raleigh is a 30 minute drive from the campus and Durham is just a few miles away from the campus. If you have any other questions on the area, just let me know.

Well congrats on getting, hopefully we will be classmates and I get in as well. The wait is killing me, I have not heard and decisions from any of my schools......I'm vey anxious! I'm hoping any day now I will hear from one of them!

Hopefully you'll hear the good news soon! I would call their admissions office and they may give you some insight on when you will hear from them.

Best of luck!

I applied to CSULA, CSUN, USC and UCLA and have been accepted to CSULA so far. Waiting on the others. I just signed my committment letter yesterday and returned it to CSULA because from all that I read across the threads and from professors with experience, the prestige schools don't necessarily promise anyhing better. I'm wondering how others feel about the price of a graduate degree?

Congrats! Im thinking about signing CSULA's commitment letter as well. What is your concentration? 

Just emailed UW...again. I'm sure they're getting tired of me. We should know by the end of the day tomorrow! EEEK!

Ugh, I wish I hadn't read your post, because now I'm going to be an anxious mess all day tomorrow  :wacko:

edit: Did they say how we will find out? Email or online?

Edited by paige_elizabeth10

I'll be going to UNC as well! That area of NC is wonderful... quirky, local area vibes mixed with other areas that are more commercial. Everyone is very friendly.  :D

Hi gatesdb,

That is super exciting! Excited to meet you this summer!

When do you plan to move to Chapel Hill?

Ugh, I wish I hadn't read your post, because now I'm going to be an anxious mess all day tomorrow  :wacko:

edit: Did they say how we will find out? Email or online?

Oh man, me too!  I'm going to spend the entire day obsessively refreshing my email and the application page!

I was just accepted into SDSU! A question for the other people accepted. The letter I received asked me to send a verification within 10 days of receiving the letter to reserve my spot. Does anyone know if this is binding? I haven't heard from any of the other schools I applied to yet and I don't want to be stuck at SDSU if I get accepted from a school that I would choose over it. Thanks!

@MagieC- When I went to their info session they stressed that it was binding....

I had the same question and was given some very helpful information from a professor, which is that no committment signature is biding.  They might not be especially pleased, but it's done all the time and it's not a legal contract.  If they ask you for money to reserve the spot, however, you have to be willing to lose the money and that's not even necessarily so as sometimes they will refund.

Went to the Hunter interview on Monday. Same as what most people who have gone reported- about 9 of us in a conference room.  They said could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but I have heard that it is typically less before they get back to you.

Still haven't heard from Fordham- they said 3-6 weeks from completion date, but it has now been 8 weeks. I did call them this morning to ask if they had any idea when I would hear back, and she said probably soon. Oh well, just keep waiting..

I was just accepted into SDSU! A question for the other people accepted. The letter I received asked me to send a verification within 10 days of receiving the letter to reserve my spot. Does anyone know if this is binding? I haven't heard from any of the other schools I applied to yet and I don't want to be stuck at SDSU if I get accepted from a school that I would choose over it. Thanks!

@MaggieC

I was worried about this too and had already sent my letter as SDSU was the first school to accept me. However, I called them to ask if it was a "permanent" decision

because asking someone to make a decision about the next major step of their lives in 10 days is ridiculous! The girl I spoke to, Angela Albert, said that once those letters

are received, SDSU will send an OFFICIAL admission letter with a $250 deposit sometime late March/April. THAT will be the official permanent deal for them!

As is with most schools in CA, nothing is official without payment. -__-

I just visited Fordham again to pay my deposit and send in feild placement forms/resumes.. I spoke to the financial aid office, and the advisor approved me for 5,016$ per year based on my FAFSA EFC. I think an efc under 10,000 and they give this standard amount, enough for 6 credits I think it is. I did the math, and Fordham (with the 5,016 per year) ends up being about 10,000$ cheaper than NYU with the fees included in both and an 8,000$ per year scholorship applied toward the NYU estimate. $10,000 extra doesn't seem justifiable, especially when that 10,000$ is going to be charged interest!! So I'm like 99% sure that I'm going to Fordham! The staff at Fordham were extremely helpful and nice. Registration starts in May and I'm excited, and totally nervous! Good luck to all still waiting, and congrats to those who got accepted already! Anyone else with final decisions?

Congrats!! Fordham at Lincoln Center was my undergrad. Loved the school and the area! I'm still waiting to hear back- App complete on 1/10..

@MaggieC

I was worried about this too and had already sent my letter as SDSU was the first school to accept me. However, I called them to ask if it was a "permanent" decision

because asking someone to make a decision about the next major step of their lives in 10 days is ridiculous! The girl I spoke to, Angela Albert, said that once those letters

are received, SDSU will send an OFFICIAL admission letter with a $250 deposit sometime late March/April. THAT will be the official permanent deal for them!

As is with most schools in CA, nothing is official without payment. -__-

Thanks for this info! I was wondering the same thing.

I'm a Trojan!!! I just got accepted via email to USC! I will start in the May cohort VAC.
Wait you heard via email. I though they mail out those decisions. Did the actual email state you were accepted or to sign in and check?

I received an email from someone at USC- I don't know if its because I applied to the VAC. I have until the 4th of March to accept. I already declined my interview with BU. I applied originally Dec 17 but my application wasn't complete until Jan 22. I have not bothered to check what I says online.

I am still waiting to hear back from SDSU (those of you that did, how were you informed? Snail mail? Email? And how much longer after you had a completed application?), but I've been accepted to both CSULB and CSUF. I'm trying to decide between at least the two of those and I'm having a hard time. What have you guys heard about their programs from people in the field/ students? Who has a better reputation, better professors, better field placement support, stronger for clinical focus, etc? Any insight you guys have gathered would be greatly appreciated!