Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

I've applied to several schools and I still have not heard a single word from any of them at all. Is anyone having this problem. I feel everyone is way past the dates I expected to hear something.

Anyone rejected by Cornell? I am waiting.

Grad Cafe Chemistry Cornell results lead only to acceptances for fall 2013, making me worry if I should wait any longer. I have got into a program whose professor's awesome and it's ranked among the top twenty five. But Cornell is a good program too.

Has anyone heard from them? I keep calling them, but no one replies except with answering machine, from Patricia Hine to everyone else. I even email them almost everyday.

I was told on February 12 that decisions were being finalized in a week or two.

It's way past two weeks now and I haven't heard from them. I don't think they're past their schedule. I know my decision is made but I can't wait.

If anyone hears from them please let me know!|

Finally was able to reach them by call. They're finalizing by the end of this week. Thought I'd let everyone here waiting for Cornell to know!

Edited by AlChemina

Has anyone had problems with contacting Caltech about application status? I sent several emails and can't get them to reply.

I haven't tried contacting them yet, but if you haven't heard back by now it's a rejection. 99.9% certain. If you look through the admissions results, only one has ever heard back from caltech chemistry this late in the year and reported it here, but most rejections didn't go out until mid-late march. They get most of the kids they admit, and they they send out more acceptances than students they really want to take to begin with, so the amount of people who get in off the wait-list is very marginal. From what I've heard it's the department's policy not to send out rejections until all slots have been filled, so this tends to take a while.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous, as they know damned well that 80% of the applicants don't have a statistically significant chance of being admitted. As such, it's pretty cruel to keep people on the hook like that, but that's bureaucracy in action.

They get most of the kids they admit

This is, surprisingly, not true: I had the chance to talk to the head of the addcom and he said that Caltech averages 1/3 for acceptances-per-admitted students. I think that this is higher than a lot of schools but by no means is it a majority.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous, as they know damned well that 80% of the applicants don't have a statistically significant chance of being admitted. As such, it's pretty cruel to keep people on the hook like that, but that's bureaucracy in action.

Definitely agree.

This is, surprisingly, not true: I had the chance to talk to the head of the addcom and he said that Caltech averages 1/3 for acceptances-per-admitted students. I think that this is higher than a lot of schools but by no means is it a majority.

Yes, it has been said before that Harvard has the highest matriculation rate in chemistry and I think the number thrown around for them was 50%.

Edited by Faraday

Was emailed by my First-Choice POI at my Top Choice British University to say that he didn't think he would have funding to support me as a PhD candidate. It might still be a while before I hear from any of my other POIs at the same place about their funding, but there's no guarantee they'll be in a better off position (or that I'm their first-choice candidate!). 

Actually, the news comes as a relief to me. I had applied to TCB University and FC POI because of the strength of their international reputation, and I felt that if they'd offered me a place on their PhD program I would feel obliged to accept it ("How could you decline an offer from there?!" etc, etc). 

Getting a polite rejection allows me to properly consider my other choices: places with less international clout but which would be better for my professional & personal development. 

My advice to everyone based upon this experience: do not feel obliged to accept a PhD offer solely on the strength of program reputation. Think about fit and your opportunities for personal/professional development.

Good luck to everybody currently deciding & waiting for decisions!

Yes, it has been said before that Harvard has the highest matriculation rate in chemistry and I think the number thrown around for them was 50%.

Wow, really? I was at Santa Barbara recently and they mentioned they expect to get 40-50%, but it's such a strong materials school that the applicants kind of self-select for the ones who will probably come if admitted. I assumed that Harvard and Caltech would be higher simply because of the power of the name on the diploma, to say nothing of the fantastic PIs (I'd do many things I wouldn't be proud of to work with Nate Lewis).

Edited by tangentc

should I or should I not email columbia chem and ask for my decision? Possibility of being on a waiting list, or even reviewed yet? is no response better than a rejection at this point?

should I or should I not email columbia chem and ask for my decision? Possibility of being on a waiting list, or even reviewed yet? is no response better than a rejection at this point?

I don't think they've sent out rejections yet.  At this point, I personally am operating under the assumption that I've been rejected.  Seems highly unlikely that they'll admit anyone this late in the game.

I emailed them on MAR 1st.

And got the reply :mellow: :

I think we made our last offer yesterday. We appreciate

your patience and interest in Columbia. GSAS will be sending out

response notices soon.

how was visitation weekend like for everyone? what did you talk about with your POI?

my visitation weekend is next week. the professor i want to work for is a popular guy. there will be lots of people fighting for 1 or 2 spots in his group. i sort of want to impress him a little...any advice?

I'm visiting the last school right now.  Ive made a final decision. 

Let me tell you that people and their research always look nicer on the websites.  Be sure that you can see whats behind all that, during the visits.  Ranking means so much less to me now that Ive found someone that is nice, supportive, and wants to help me succeed.

Good luck to y'all :)

how was visitation weekend like for everyone? what did you talk about with your POI?

my visitation weekend is next week. the professor i want to work for is a popular guy. there will be lots of people fighting for 1 or 2 spots in his group. i sort of want to impress him a little...any advice?

Read your POI's papers and generate conversations from them. Demonstrate your genuine interest. Execute it properly. All these others you're competing with will just stand by and watch you two talk.

Edited by DropTheBase

Finally was able to reach them by call. They're finalizing by the end of this week. Thought I'd let everyone here waiting for Cornell to know!

OK ... I called Cornell. They didn't pick up! They said they'd finalize by the end of the last week which ended March 8, and they've not yet replied.

Sucks! :( I'm waiting for them desperately. Anyone got through to them as to when they will send decisions?

On 3/10/2013 at 3:33 PM, paperandstaples said:

is it safe to assume that rice is no longer accepting people?

I guess so. They've not been replying to my emails.

The fact that they're only taking 25 to 26 students hints at the fact that they've already sent out decisions. This would mean they sent offers to about 50-ish students only, and would of course expect the over-qualified ones to turn them down. Seems difficult to say. The gradcafe results search do not reveal a lot, with only two decision of acceptances (and of course it can't be taken as a representative number), except that if you're rejected, you'll probably have to wait until April to find out they rejected you!

words cannot describe how much I despise O'Hare

What happened? This past weekend, my flight from San Diego to O'Hare was delayed and I missed my connecting flight...I was stuck at O'Hare for about 4 hours...

words cannot describe how much I despise O'Hare

It's funny how that is the single most problematic airport I've ever been on: they cancelled my flight because they were too busy last weekend. Flying there again this weekend. I'm a bit troubled...

What happened? This past weekend, my flight from San Diego to O'Hare was delayed and I missed my connecting flight...I was stuck at O'Hare for about 4 hours...

On my way back on Sunday my first flight got delayed (due to O'Hare ATC) and I ended up missing my second flight which was the last one of the day to Vancouver. I got rescheduled the next day on a route that almost doubled my travel time b/c apparently they couldn't put me on a direct flight...I'm looking forward to the direct flights I have for this coming weekend