Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I've been reading old posts in the App forums (all which I wish I would have read before I applied!!!-ugh) and am worried that my SOP was totally off and my LORs may not be strong enough!!! And that I should have retaken my GREs. All of a sudden I'm doubting every aspect of my app!!!

I think that my SOPs were almost certainly off the mark, but I'm hoping someone will still give me a chance. Don't panic until you see how the dice fall. Don't panic then, either. :) You'll know better in the future, if you have to do it again.

Congrats to everyone getting invites and acceptances today! Back to class today for me, and I'm so glad. In the past week, I've managed to calm down and check my e-mail every few hours instead of every 15 minutes. Now that I have class to go to, I have distractions! I did get an e-mail today from one of my schools... letting me know that my materials have been sent to the admissions committee (they were waiting on a transcript).

I really wish there were some results for Penn State's Ecology program! There isn't an official deadline, but the website says that applications received before January 15th will get first consideration. That's tomorrow! So I guess I won't hear anything for at least two weeks, if not longer. It's probably my top choice... I'm not sure if Penn State or Syracuse is my top choice. They are both great fits for my research interests, although I favor Penn State because it doesn't involve moving out of state. I probably won't hear from Syracuse for two weeks, either (or Pittsburgh)... so I guess I need to hold tight for two weeks!

I've been reading old posts in the App forums (all which I wish I would have read before I applied!!!-ugh) and am worried that my SOP was totally off and my LORs may not be strong enough!!! And that I should have retaken my GREs. All of a sudden I'm doubting every aspect of my app!!!

Yea I didn't discover this site until after most of my apps were submitted and I completely regret how I used a 95% universal SOP, where I didn't address any POI. I'm just happy 1 of my applications are giving me a chance so far and hope more will, but just swimming in doubt and regret now, mentally preparing for a possible round 2. This place both calms and freaks me out.

I realized today how much I was losing it. I've gotten several emails from programs stating that my application is "incomplete" because they need recommendations. However, when I log into their site, I can confirm that my recommenders put in their letters (unfortunately, only a few days ago). I keep wanting to email the programs, but stop myself so I don't look like an idiot when they manually process it in a few days...

This forum is a great outlet though! I don't have to bug my friends with my incessant worrying.

This place both calms and freaks me out.
Exactly, but I keep telling myself the pros outweigh the cons! I would probably isolate all those around me if I unloaded all this on them. Plus, only my inner inner circle even knows. So I have to keep it quite quiet!

As per my earlier post in this thread, I was recently told that I have been offered an acceptance to one of the schools I applied to, few questions to ask here:

Is anyone aware if there is any sort of standard procedure of things to do (to submit paperwork and whatnot) after I have made up my mind which school to go to?

Do graduate students get taxed on their stipends? (my guess would be yes, but I just want to double confirm). If yes, how much % would it normally be, assuming the student is single, living on his/her own.

I am aware that this post is a little out of topic in this thread, but since everyone seems to be checking and making responses in this thread a lot, and it would be great if someone can actually provide the information that everyone will need at some point in the future (hoping that everyone gets their acceptance in time!).

Edited by zs3889

As my post earlier post in this thread, I was recently told that I have been offered an acceptance to one of the schools I applied to, few questions to ask here:

Is anyone aware if there is any sort of standard procedure of things to do (to submit paperwork and whatnot) after I have made up my mind which school to go to?

Do graduate students get taxed on their stipends? (my guess would be yes, but I just want to double confirm). If yes, how much % would it normally be, assuming the student is single, living on his/her own.

Stipends are taxed.  Just like with any income, it will depend on the amount.  You could look up an income tax rate table online... 

No idea on your first question - I think each school has a different procedure, which they should outline for you once you have decided to accept their admissions offer.

And yep, we do - unfortunately - get taxed on our stipends.  The amount, though, should depend on your total income (for me, never very much).  And if your stipends don't fully cover the cost of your tuition and fees, you may be entitled to a tax break here and there (since you're trying to obtain a higher degree, paying for it yourself, etc.).  Hope that's helpful! :)

I downloaded the "Admissions Results" app.  I'm not sure if it's any good but it's another tool with which to torture myself.  Anxiety in your pocket!

I just downloaded this a second ago! LOL. Why are we like this? :(

amlobo, viggosloof28,

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

Well in my case, I am going to be receiving an amount of stipends ($2x,xxx) and my tuition fees ($2x,xxx) will be waived. So I don't fully understand when you said 'if your stipends don't fully cover the cost of your tuition and fees'. I am guessing that the stipends are actually $4x,xxx and the tuition and fees ($2x,xxx) are deducted from the stipends, which makes the final stipends to be $2x,xxx.  I hope I am not confusing you guys here :wacko:

You will be taxed only on your stipend, which is separate from a tuition waiver, so the cost of tuition won't matter. If your stipend wasn't enough to live on (but it sounds like it is) then you may have qualified for a break, if you needed loans to supplement.

amlobo, viggosloof28,

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

Well in my case, I am going to be receiving an amount of stipends ($2x,xxx) and my tuition fees ($2x,xxx) will be waived. So I don't fully understand when you said 'if your stipends don't fully cover the cost of your tuition and fees'. I am guessing that the stipends are actually $4x,xxx and the tuition and fees ($2x,xxx) are deducted from the stipends, which makes the final stipends to be $2x,xxx.  I hope I am not confusing you guys here :wacko:

I don't know how "grad school" works, but in law school, any of my "scholarships" that the school applied to tuition were not taxed as normal income but instead were set off against the credit I got for tuition expenses.  So, I wasn't "taxed" on my scholarships - they basically wiped out most of my education credit instead, lol.  Not sure if that's a good way to explain it... I sucked in my tax classes... ha...

You will be taxed only on your stipend, which is separate from a tuition waiver, so the cost of tuition won't matter. If your stipend wasn't enough to live on (but it sounds like it is) then you may have qualified for a break, if you needed loans to supplement.

Thanks!

One final question, is there a proximate % of tax rate for a graduate student that anyone here is aware of? So I would get an idea of how much of stipends that will actually go into my pockets.

I don't know how "grad school" works, but in law school, any of my "scholarships" that the school applied to tuition were not taxed as normal income but instead were set off against the credit I got for tuition expenses.  So, I wasn't "taxed" on my scholarships - they basically wiped out most of my education credit instead, lol.  Not sure if that's a good way to explain it... I sucked in my tax classes... ha...

Yea I get what you are trying to imply here, but scholarship is not my concern at the moment, as an international applicant I feel that I was fortunate enough to get any admission offer!

Edited by zs3889

I don't know what the percentage would be, and I don't know if being on a visa makes any difference, but it won't be much. It will be less than 10%, but I would check online if you can find some advice on filling out your W-4 (it's a tax form they'll give you) because you can mess with those a bit to get more upfront, as opposed to when you file a tax return. I think you can safely figure that 90% of your stipend will go into your pocket.

You're going to need to look up an income tax table. They aren't too hard to find (grad students - researching ALL the things), and you'll be able to look at your total expected income for the year and get an accurate estimate. 

I don't know what the percentage would be, and I don't know if being on a visa makes any difference, but it won't be much. It will be less than 10%, but I would check online if you can find some advice on filling out your W-4 (it's a tax form they'll give you) because you can mess with those a bit to get more upfront, as opposed to when you file a tax return. I think you can safely figure that 90% of your stipend will go into your pocket.

Thanks a lot! If that is the case (~90%), it would be great! I was worried that it would be more like ~75-80%.

Yup I will definitely look it up, but my first thought was to post it here, trying my luck for a quick answer ^_^ at least now I have a general idea on how taxes work for graduate students.

Edited by zs3889

Yup I will definitely look it up, but my first thought was to post it here, trying my luck for a quick answer ^_^ at least now I have a general idea on how taxes work for graduate students.

Look here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040ez.pdf (p. 31) - vaguely complicated table, but if you're going to grad school, quite certain you can figure it out. :-)

Edited by atomnc

One of my recommender's first name is Elisabeth and I nearly wrote (and submitted) Elizabeth Lemon on the online app.

Losing my damn mind, to say the least.

One of my recommender's first name is Elisabeth and I nearly wrote (and submitted) Elizabeth Lemon on the online app.

Losing my damn mind, to say the least.

One of my greatest fears is that I misspelled a POI's name in my SOPs.  I refuse to even look at them now so I don't freak myself out.  Lol.

One of my greatest fears is that I misspelled a POI's name in my SOPs.  I refuse to even look at them now so I don't freak myself out.  Lol.

I literally copied and pasted some of the more unusual faculty names from the department website.

Oh, man, yeah.  I've had to go back and verify who I talked about in some of my SOP's, and I basically shut my eyes until I've scrolled to the part where I think the name is, and very carefully refuse to read anything I wrote except *exactly* what I am looking for.  Nothing can be done about them, I have already submitted all of my applications, and I'm terrified of finding mistakes or even just things I wish I could change.  No thanks!!

Hey guys, another candidate here. I've been lurking here for awhile, and decided to join today, since no one arounf me really gets what it's like.

I'm going absolutely crazy. I've foolishly applied to six top schools in the US, and I have no idea how that will work out, since I am both a foreign student, and come from a small, absolutely unknown university in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't done any work today, I just keep refreshing my e-mail, and getting mini heart-attacks if there's an inbox message notification. Good to know that I'm not the only one, though.

Also, congrats to all those who got in. :)