Rejection Thread!

lypiphera

Let's post our rejections as they come in, as well as your rationalization (whether true otherwise) as to why this is a good thing and a one word description of your feelings.  I'll start, since I got my first official rejection letter. I'm sure more will come, but I think they will be later.

School:  UCLA

Area:  Social

Rationalization: Well, the professors that I REALLY wanted to work with weren't accepting students, so I don't mind that I didn't get in, since the people I did apply to weren't my first choices.

Word: "Meh."

UCSD here... well, implicit rejection, since I wasn't invited out to interview!

Area: Social.

Rationalization: It's not like I really WANTED to live in California... and that probably showed in my SOP.

Word: Mrrrpghgrrrgphf.

(PS: totes dig the Kushiel reference/username. Loved that series.)

I applied to Harvard (a few years ago) and have two letters from them: The first in March saying they were unable to offer me admission. The second in July saying that there had been a "security breech" of their admissions database and my personal data may have been compromised.

I applied to Harvard and all I got was a lousy year of free credit monitoring services.

School:  Yale

Area:  Clinical

Rationalization: Well, they take about 4 people a year and it was my super duper stretch school. And I will probably find out I have a better fit school elsewhere on my list. (Take that, Yale!).

I'm assuming I got rejected, anyway, due to a lack of interview invite. Which is a pretty safe assumption in this case :-).

School: UCSD

Area: Social (second choice cognitive)

Rationalization: Was the worst intellectual fit, and the only real reason I applied there was because I love the CogSci program there and it was free to submit an application to another department (as an international student who spent over $300 on applications to schools in the US, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for one extra lottery ticket). It's the only social psych program to which I applied, I'm more interested in cognition/development but the research topics currently being studied in those areas at UCSD Psych are not of substantial interest to me.

School:  UNC - chapel hill 

Area:  Clinical PhD

Rationalization: Well, according to the results thing someone else who has the same exact GRE scores as me but with a 3.92 (I definietly do not have a 3.92) got shot down too. So now I don't feel so bad. I really liked the work done by my favorite POI there though, so that's disappointing. 

Word: Schucks. 

Applied: Clinical PhD's- UNC, EMU, UT, GSU, WashU, U Cinnci. MS - Brenau, GSU, Augusta, UT

Interview: EMU

Rejected: UNC (implicit)

Accepted: ...

School: Arizona State University

Area: Quantitative Psychology

Rationalization: Even though I was "one of the most impressive [applicants] in terms of combining personality and quantitative that [my poi] have seen in several years," My POI was "the only person in the quantitative program who could supervise a combined personality-quantitative student by [him]self." He said, that "[g]iven [his] age, [he] cannot guarantee that [he] will be around for 6 more years to mentor [me] through the PhD." At least his email rejecting me was really nice.

Word: Blerg

School: U Kentucky

Area: Clinical

Rationalization: I have two other interviews. Losing one sucks from a numbers perspective (as I tried to tell my sister, it's not one rejection, it's 20% of my applications this cycle; she was not amused), but my husband didn't want to move to a city.

Word: Eh.

I applied to Harvard (a few years ago) and have two letters from them: The first in March saying they were unable to offer me admission. The second in July saying that there had been a "security breech" of their admissions database and my personal data may have been compromised.

I applied to Harvard and all I got was a lousy year of free credit monitoring services.

Hahah. That happened to me when I applied to Tufts a few years back.

School: Penn State

Area: Cognitive

Rationalization: Even though I got an interview, I think that there must have been a lot of other competitive applicants for my spot. I should have sounded more enthusiastic about my research interests and had some ideas for further research available for when she asked for that. Also needed to brush up on relevant theories that she asked me about and have more specifically read her research, as I think I misconstrued some details of one study we discussed. I still have a few more interviews lined up, and now I know what to improve. The first one just hurts the most  :(

Word: Grrr

School: Michigan State

Rationalization: Probably GRE scores since the rejection came fairly quickly, which I assume was the first cut based on GRE scores

Word: Grrrrrr....

School: Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Area: Social

Rationalization: I suppose it's also the GRE scores. Unfortunately, this was one of my top choices

Word: Booooooo!!

School: Nebraska

Rationalization: This one is tough to get into for people interested in forensic psych. Again, top choice

Word: Waaahhhhh  :(

I applied to 17 schools and I haven't heard from most. Moreover, I have an interview at Central Michigan and did a phone interview with Kansas today, so the hope is alive!!  :rolleyes:

School:  University of Kentucky

Area:  Social

Rationalization: I had emailed my POI in the Fall and he had said they may not have the funding to let me into his Lab. Location was the big draw for this one anyway.

Word: Bleh.

School: Purdue

Program: Psychology

Rationalization: Reports from current students state the POI I had chosen has circled the drain as far as sanity goes, so I'm really not that torn up about it.

Word: Meh.

• 2 weeks later...

School: Princeton

Program: Cognitive Psychology

Rationalization: Interview invitations went out three weeks ago and I didn't get one so I'm assuming the worst.

Word:  :( sob!  There goes my dream of writing on the glass windows with an oil pen (like in "A Beautiful Mind")!

Edited by olayak

School: Northwestern

Program: Human Development and Social Policy

Rationalization: Program not the best fit. I mostly applied to Developmental Psychology Ph.D. programs. Here I applied to work with a developmental psychologist in Human Development and Social Policy.

Word: Meh. I hate having less options, especially as I haven't gotten any acceptances yet, but it was expected.

• 3 weeks later...

School: Northwestern Area: Social Rationalization: I didn't ask for a letter from the person I should have asked. Word: Meh... School: Princeton Area: Social Rationalization: I'm not good enough. Word: Ouch...

School: Northwestern Area: Social Rationalization: I didn't ask for a letter from the person I should have asked. Word: Meh... School: Princeton Area: Social Rationalization: I'm not good enough. Word: Ouch...

Northwestern didn't take ANY social students this semester, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

School: University of Minnesota

Area: I/O 

Rationalization: This was a reach, it's a top ranked program & my GRE wasn't so great.  It also probably wasn't the best fit since I want more applied experience than what they provide-super research focused program.......hoping for good news from my more realistic apps: IIT, UMSL, SIUC

Washington University in St. Louis:

Rationalization:I wasn't really aware how incredibly competitive WashU was, so I guess I just wasn't "wow" enough. Also my research emphasis may not have been the best fit.

Word: Sigh...

U Oregon:

Rat: I don't know! I had a great research fit and interest in the program... maybe I just wasn't warm enough in my emails beforehand.

Word: Aw...