Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Having an interview in itself is good. The positive feedback about applying for scholarships is great. Here's to you!

Thank you!! Such reassurance can be quite comforting during the wait. :)

Thank you mimi03 and Eager! I called...but no luck really. The adminstrator said they'll be notifying till April - so I will just have to wait for a formal notification.....via post. (AND I'm International - so it'll take ages before it reaches here!!)

Well, I think rejections go out first because those files need the least amount of processing. So hopefully the fact that you haven't gotten a decision yet is a good thing!

Hello there.

Two days ago I had my first (and what I thought last) interview via Skype. It went okay, I guess. It is the only school on my list that I chose more because of the location. It is a great program and I would be lucky to be accepted but I also know that I am just not a perfect fit. The interview felt exactly that way: I think the faculty members who interviewed me really liked me, but I am just not a good fit. However, today I got an email by the Director for Graduate Studies asking for another Skype interview tomorrow. What does that mean? I was so happy yesterday thinking that at least all the applications stuff is done, and now it is going on and on and on... :wacko:

Congrats at having the interview lelia.  This program obviously thinks that you are a worthy candidate.  I'm of two minds.  On the one hand I think why not just do one more interview and have that as a back up plan?  Take that with a grain of salt as I would be happy to have an interview about now.  My second thought, not tinged with my own desperations is, if you really believe that this is not the program for you and you don't want to got to this school, then don't waste your time and theirs with a second interview.  However, be sure.  I have read other posts were people regret not taking advantage of opportunities.  Be as introspective as you can, and then if you are still sure this is not the program for you, then I think very respectfully, you should tell them that.  I know that you wouldn't want to take a spot, and possibly funding from someone else, to ultimately turn it down at the last minute, when you knew all along that you didn't want to attend.  That's my two cents.  Keep us posted.  Your journey sounds as though it is going to be very interesting.

Hi everyone, so I went on an interview and my POI told me to email him for review papers. I did. He responded really quickly and said to email him back with any questions to help me make my decision. Does that mean there's a good chance I'm in if it's my decision or am I overthinking things? The Adcom won't meet for another few weeks, so I'm just dying to know.

Hi everyone, so I went on an interview and my POI told me to email him for review papers. I did. He responded really quickly and said to email him back with any questions to help me make my decision. Does that mean there's a good chance I'm in if it's my decision or am I overthinking things? The Adcom won't meet for another few weeks, so I'm just dying to know.

Overthinking things is a side effect of this process I've found.  The POI would know if you are a good fit and if the Adcom might look favorably upon your application.  Now of course that does not me you are automatically in, but it officially qualifies as a good sign.  Welcome!  This particular forum is the place that exists in the purgatory that lies between application and acceptance.  It is not an easy process, but it helps when you have people pulling for you!

Err --

What about seeing people being accepted to your schools/programs in Results and still hearing nothing?  I'm thinking omen. =(

I feel you!  I have been happy that no one from my program has reported yet.  But don't stay in the dark.  I called Admissions.  Just because they started reporting does not mean they are finished!  There is still hope!  How many programs did you apply to?

Overthinking things is a side effect of this process I've found.  The POI would know if you are a good fit and if the Adcom might look favorably upon your application.  Now of course that does not me you are automatically in, but it officially qualifies as a good sign.  Welcome!  This particular forum is the place that exists in the purgatory that lies between application and acceptance.  It is not an easy process, but it helps when you have people pulling for you!

Wow you're so positive. Relieved there are so many people in this limbo with me. You really are this forum's cheer leader =D. We live in the same place, lol. It's weird that we're a few miles from each atm.

Wow you're so positive. Relieved there are so many people in this limbo with me. You really are this forum's cheer leader =D. We live in the same place, lol. It's weird that we're a few miles from each atm.

I have never thought of myself as a cheerleader before  :P .  But gosh this process is hard.  The only thing that was similar was when my husband I were  putting in bids for a house and waiting to hear back.  It was so stressful.  I remember when I just knew one house was going to be ours.  We put in a competitive bid and waited and waited, and our agent let us know that we didn't get the house.  I was devastated.  But I'll never forget that my agent sent me an email and said, it may takes some time, but we are going to find you the perfect house for you, and we're not going to stop until we do.  You got it?  I wiped my tears, which were many, and said, yes, I get it.  And we did get our house (that is an interesting story in itself).  I love our house.  We are still working on it, but to me it is soooooo beautiful!  So, to all on this forum...we are going to get into the program this is perfect for us.  It may take some time, but it will happen.  Get it?

I know that Georgia Tech and Purdue both have rolling admissions (at least in my field) and someone posted on the results page that they were accepted to Purdue in December in my program. I got my acceptance from Purdue yesterday. There is no need to worry, it is still early in the process.  :)

I know that Georgia Tech and Purdue both have rolling admissions (at least in my field) and someone posted on the results page that they were accepted to Purdue in December in my program. I got my acceptance from Purdue yesterday. There is no need to worry, it is still early in the process.  :)

Congrats.  That is awesome!!!!  Here's to you!  We'd love some details.

If it helps, I saw one week that someone had been invited to interview at a school I'd applied at, so I assumed I just missed the boat. But I got my own invite the next week. Sometimes they do spread them out!

Congrats on your acceptances and your interview.  Keep us posted!!!!!!

I have never thought of myself as a cheerleader before  :P .  But gosh this process is hard.  The only thing that was similar was when my husband I were  putting in bids for a house and waiting to hear back.  It was so stressful.  I remember when I just knew one house was going to be ours.  We put in a competitive bid and waited and waited, and our agent let us know that we didn't get the house.  I was devastated.  But I'll never forget that my agent sent me an email and said, it may takes some time, but we are going to find you the perfect house for you, and we're not going to stop until we do.  You got it?  I wiped my tears, which were many, and said, yes, I get it.  And we did get our house (that is an interesting story in itself).  I love our house.  We are still working on it, but to me it is soooooo beautiful!  So, to all on this forum...we are going to get into the program this is perfect for us.  It may take some time, but it will happen.  Get it?

Fantastic analogy. I keep telling myself that I'll get into the places I'm supposed to and that the places I get rejected from were just wrong for me.

Well, I received an e-mail today from my top choice school today:

"Thank you for submitting an application to the MLIS program at University of xxxxxxx* Your application was reviewed and we noticed that you have not reported and uploaded transcript from xxxxxxxxxxxx University."

It then detailed the steps for uploading the transcript, then concluded with:

"We understand that the steps outlined above may be unorthodox, but this is a back-end way to update your schools/transcripts without submitting another application.

Please contact our office if you have any questions about this process.

Best regards,

Jane Doe

Admissions Program Assistant

LIS Department

University of XXXXXXXX"

The transcript they're referring to is three-credits I earned through a college credit program at my high school. I just took this one basic English comp course my senior year of high school, so of course it never even occurred to me that i would need to include this "transcript." Of course, I was really upset when I got this, as I've finally finished my applications, and I made sure to get my application in by the priority deadline (basically the one that means I stand a chance at merit-based scholarships). Since I don't have a copy of the transcript I want, I'll have to request it, wait for it, then upload it. So I'm concerned that that will mean my applicaiton will be delayed and I won't be considered for scholarships.

On the other hand, it does seem promising that their directing me to go through these extra steps, rather than just rejecting me based on what they've reviewed so far. If they want me to bother doing all this, maybe it means I got through at least one round of cuts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and it's just standard procedure. Good sign? Omen? Hallucination? Tough to say. Any thoughts?

*I guess I'm being paranoid and avoiding using any actual names. I don't know what I'm afraid will happen if they discover this post, it's hardly incriminating, except perhaps of the neuroticism the application process is cultivating.

I got a mail with this tittle "important notification from us" in the school provided email. i was super excited but when i opened it, it was from card services, a spam mail. but from the university? nothing yet. my application has been completed since september and still no word plus i have not met a sole registring for my course in that university.

Good sign? :wacko: i dunno

omen? :rolleyes:  :blink:

I have never thought of myself as a cheerleader before  :P .  But gosh this process is hard.  The only thing that was similar was when my husband I were  putting in bids for a house and waiting to hear back.  It was so stressful.  I remember when I just knew one house was going to be ours.  We put in a competitive bid and waited and waited, and our agent let us know that we didn't get the house.  I was devastated.  But I'll never forget that my agent sent me an email and said, it may takes some time, but we are going to find you the perfect house for you, and we're not going to stop until we do.  You got it?  I wiped my tears, which were many, and said, yes, I get it.  And we did get our house (that is an interesting story in itself).  I love our house.  We are still working on it, but to me it is soooooo beautiful!  So, to all on this forum...we are going to get into the program this is perfect for us.  It may take some time, but it will happen.  Get it?!!

This spoke volumes to me as I'm going through something similar with a house...thank you!!!

My second thought, not tinged with my own desperations is, if you really believe that this is not the program for you and you don't want to got to this school, then don't waste your time and theirs with a second interview.  However, be sure.  I have read other posts were people regret not taking advantage of opportunities.  Be as introspective as you can, and then if you are still sure this is not the program for you, then I think very respectfully, you should tell them that.  I know that you wouldn't want to take a spot, and possibly funding from someone else, to ultimately turn it down at the last minute, when you knew all along that you didn't want to attend. 

Thank you, Eager. These are valid points to consider! If I really didn't want to go there I wouldn't have applied, and even though it is not the best fit on my list it is far from horrible. I like the over-all focus of the department, and there are some faculty members involved in research I would like to pursue too. Just with some schools, I felt more like almost every single faculty member has the same interests as I do. So although this is not the case here, I would still seriously consider attending if I got accepted. This is why I decided to do the interview (also, I am really interested in what else they are going to ask).

I hope you hear back soon too!

Second interview was scheduled for next week. Got an email at 3 asking to make it for this week. Of course I calmly replied, "sure!" as my heart went into my throat. Now all that weekend reading has turned into overnight/early morning reading to prep for the interview. Egads! I hope I don't have circles under my eyes. But, I'm really looking forward to this meeting.

Fantastic analogy. I keep telling myself that I'll get into the places I'm supposed to and that the places I get rejected from were just wrong for me.

Thank you!  And I see that you were accepted to UCLA.  That is awesome!  Congrats, Congrats!  You are bringing such good vibes to our forum.  Welcome!

Well, I received an e-mail today from my top choice school today:

"Thank you for submitting an application to the MLIS program at University of xxxxxxx* Your application was reviewed and we noticed that you have not reported and uploaded transcript from xxxxxxxxxxxx University."

It then detailed the steps for uploading the transcript, then concluded with:

"We understand that the steps outlined above may be unorthodox, but this is a back-end way to update your schools/transcripts without submitting another application.

Please contact our office if you have any questions about this process.

Best regards,

Jane Doe

Admissions Program Assistant

LIS Department

University of XXXXXXXX"

The transcript they're referring to is three-credits I earned through a college credit program at my high school. I just took this one basic English comp course my senior year of high school, so of course it never even occurred to me that i would need to include this "transcript." Of course, I was really upset when I got this, as I've finally finished my applications, and I made sure to get my application in by the priority deadline (basically the one that means I stand a chance at merit-based scholarships). Since I don't have a copy of the transcript I want, I'll have to request it, wait for it, then upload it. So I'm concerned that that will mean my applicaiton will be delayed and I won't be considered for scholarships.

On the other hand, it does seem promising that their directing me to go through these extra steps, rather than just rejecting me based on what they've reviewed so far. If they want me to bother doing all this, maybe it means I got through at least one round of cuts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and it's just standard procedure. Good sign? Omen? Hallucination? Tough to say. Any thoughts?

*I guess I'm being paranoid and avoiding using any actual names. I don't know what I'm afraid will happen if they discover this post, it's hardly incriminating, except perhaps of the neuroticism the application process is cultivating.

Ha!  You are funny!  Well, we can rule out hallucination right away.  I have had a few of those in this process, so I would know!  It's a great sign.  Listen, they want to make sure they have all your documents in order to properly evaluate you.  They wouldn't do that, I don't think, if they knew you were going straight to the reject pile!  I'm excited for you.  Keep us posted on all the details.  I for one want to know how this plays out!  :) .

I got a mail with this tittle "important notification from us" in the school provided email. i was super excited but when i opened it, it was from card services, a spam mail. but from the university? nothing yet. my application has been completed since september and still no word plus i have not met a sole registring for my course in that university.

Good sign? :wacko: i dunno

omen? :rolleyes:  :blink:

Honestly, I don't know if I can consider that a good sign, and if it were an omen it would not be a good one.  So, let us not name it.  Let us just wait for the good news that you are going to get soon!!!!! And we want all the details when it comes!  :D