Rewarding or treating yourself?

callista

What are some ways to reward or treat yourself once this is over (or, for getting through another week of waiting... etc.)?

I will be getting a kayak rack installed on my car, regardless of admission outcome. Because my car is a Toyota Yaris ;) I'm going to let the professionals handle it.

I don't usually spend this much on recreational stuff, but this will be my reward to myself for giving this PhD thing a second try after being rejected 15 years ago!

What are some ways to reward or treat yourself once this is over (or, for getting through another week of waiting... etc.)?

I will be getting a kayak rack installed on my car, regardless of admission outcome. Because my car is a Toyota Yaris ;) I'm going to let the professionals handle it.

I don't usually spend this much on recreational stuff, but this will be my reward to myself for giving this PhD thing a second try after being rejected 15 years ago!

That's really great! I'm the typical broke college student, so I'll probably just go out to dinner with some friends and call it a special occasion. If I don't get in anywhere, it'll be off to job hunting, no real rewards there. If I'm admitted somewhere, I'll buy myself a bumper sticker.  :D

I haven't been able to decide, though I've been thinking about it. I'm definitely going to get myself a nice school hoodie from where ever I'm going.

There is a great LONG thread from last year on this: 

I'm glad you started a new one.

If I get into the dream school - I'm buying a ticket to DC to see my fiancé.

If I get into any of the other schools - I'm throwing myself an elaborate "Leaving London" party.

If I get in I'll be trying my best to get a bottle of pappy van winkle's family reserve...if I don't get in anywhere it will be a bottle of old grand dad
Nice! we get pappy van winkle down in my area but the waiting list for a bottle is always looong.

I'm one of those people who likes shopping and plotting deals, so each acceptance lets me shop for apartments/houses in the area of the school, hehe.  :D

I'm exactly the same way!  I know that when I get my first acceptance (if I get it), instead of spending all my time on gradcafe and my e-mail looking for a decision, I'm going to be spending all my time on craigslist looking at housing.

Accepted--buy an expensive bottle of liquor/wine and take a 2-3 day vacation (me and my wife got married in June, no honeymoon yet)

Rejected--continue drinking my dirt cheap wine, apply to jobs:(

Wherever I go (got one acceptance), I'm planning to buy myself a really cool laptop and a school hoodie.

Also from the looks of things, some expensive warm winter boots and a proper jacket/coat.

Regardless: fancy new road bike!! and bike shoes that cost more than any of my normal shoes

Accepted: laptop

Rejected: vacation time, plane ticket home, and booze so I can drown my sorrows while wallowing on a familiar couch

I only graduated about a month ago, so I just bought myself some graduation presents:

-Seasons 5-7 of Doctor Who on Blu-Ray

-A new 15in MacBook (you know...in case I get accepted to grad school)

But this doesn't mean I don't need more presents if I get accepted. :)

So lets see...I think I'll treat myself to

-A new fancy messenger bag

-Some nice furniture for my future apartment, idk why but I would just love like some solid oak coffee/end tables

- My first Tattoo (if I can just hammer down the concept)

and maybe some toys

Grad School is a big deal you guys, so buy yourself something nice! :D

If I get into one of the UC schools (applied to UCSD, UCSB, UCSC), I'll sell my current bike this summer before moving and then pick up one of these sometime in the fall:

_M3S7647.jpg

For getting in anywhere else, I'll go "Yay!" and then have a glass of scotch.

Full rejections: just the scotch.

I got two acceptances in the past two days and I really want to celebrate. I think I'm and just gonna get some drinks with friends for now, but this summer I'm buying a new laptop. I really like the idea of a hoodie from the school I choose. I am also planning a cross-country road trip with my boyfriend in June, but that is mostly to celebrate graduation.

Also, after having lived in Texas for the past 9 years, chances are I will need real winter clothes...

If I get into one of the UC schools (applied to UCSD, UCSB, UCSC), I'll sell my current bike this summer before moving and then pick up one of these sometime in the fall:

_M3S7647.jpg

For getting in anywhere else, I'll go "Yay!" and then have a glass of scotch.

Full rejections: just the scotch.

Now that's what I call a reward!

I'm dying to get/build a cafe racer or something like that depending on where I go. But I'll probably only be able to buy something for my Jetta instead.  ^_^

Accepted at my biggest reach, knowing I at least have somewhere to go next year:

1. An iMac. I have one at work, and LOVE it.

2. My Michael Kors dream handbag.

3. If I go to a school in my state, maybe I can convince my parents to buy me a new(er) car.

If I get accepted: Buy a couple of fine wine bottles and celebrate with my wife, and I'm getting a tattoo... That´s a promise!!!

All rejections: Starting planning to strengthen my application for Spring/Fall 2014!!!