Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

I'm currently waitlisted for the only school I applied to (for a 2- year Masters program). It's exactly where I want to be, what I want to study, and I didn't really think about backup plans beforehand. Now I have to, but I realize there are some advantages if I don't get in this year. Still, I'm really hoping to move on from the job I have now and start a new career path. All my dreams hinging on one little email... lol

I now sit on 3 waitlists, with 2 rejections and no other prospects. I feel so terrible... I wonder what was not good enough about me. I also feel like there is no hope of getting off of any waitlist, and I will have to reapply.

God, this totally sucks. I am disappointed and angry with myself. 

it totally sucks being on waitlisted.....i check my email every 10 mins also...and I am getting sick of the feeling of not hearing from the school at all....dunno how long this is also going to ensue!

I would not worry so much, the chance is still very high with 3 waitlists I guess. Do you have any informations about students on the waitlist? Good luck

I was rejected by 9 (most in CA, guess it's not so easy to get in as an international), 2 post-interview rejects and 1 post-interview waitlist at MIT. This is my only shot, I'm checking my mail every 10 minutes..it's really stressful because I want this so much..

One school informed us that there were over 470 applications this year, and they accepted 120 initially. However, the waitlist is unranked as of now because they still haven't finished reviewing applications.

The above bothers me, since they made decisions without looking at all applications. No one was rejected as of yet.

I now sit on 3 waitlists, with 2 rejections and no other prospects. I feel so terrible... I wonder what was not good enough about me. I also feel like there is no hope of getting off of any waitlist, and I will have to reapply.

God, this totally sucks. I am disappointed and angry with myself. 

Allow my stats to cheer you up... 3.83 GPA, cum laude, Lots of TA and research experience, 3 great letters, 4 great POI visits,1 very strong senior thesis, and... rejected from 4 out of the 6 programs I've applied to, the result being pretty much everything hinging on ONE waitlist slot (the one remaining non-reporting school is a top-shelf dream school, so a rejection is most likely imminent there). Wish I had your problems! Also, consider this: my undergrad profs warned me that interest in graduate studies (applicants) has gone WAY up in the past 5 years, while funding at most unis has not justified an expansion of faculty (thus admitted applicants/advisees). Result = Plenty of more-than-qualified folks turned away. I should have applied to 10+ programs... I will next year if I have to do this all over again. Keep your chin up, and good luck!!

Edited by NightGallery

Allow my stats to cheer you up... 3.83 GPA, cum laude, Lots of TA and research experience, 3 great letters, 4 great POI visits,1 very strong senior thesis, and... rejected from 4 out of the 6 programs I've applied to, the result being pretty much everything hinging on ONE waitlist slot (the one remaining non-reporting school is a top-shelf dream school, so a rejection is most likely imminent there). Wish I had your problems! Also, consider this: my undergrad profs warned me that interest in graduate studies (applicants) has gone WAY up in the past 5 years, while funding at most unis has not justified an expansion of faculty (thus admitted applicants/advisees). Result = Plenty of more-than-qualified folks turned away. I should have applied to 10+ programs... I will next year if I have to do this all over again. Keep your chin up, and good luck!!

I will also definitely be applying to 10+ if not admitted. I was told 3-5 was a safe bet... ha!

I will also definitely be applying to 10+ if not admitted. I was told 3-5 was a safe bet... ha!

Yeah, I applied to 12 (however, 12 top programs)..result: 9 rejects, 3 interviews..2 post-interview rejects and 1 waitlist 

I know what you mean, I applied to 4 programs: rejected by one back in February, still waiting on the other 3. If I'm not accepted this year, I will be applying to 10+ next year. From the university that I was rejected I got the typical response: you're great, but we had better applicants.

Here are my stats in case people wanted additional perspectives:

2 Master's in progress (both should be finished in June): GPA's: 4.0 and 3.87

3.86 undergrad GPA

3 Amazing LoR's

Extensive contact with POI's at all universities

Yep, I was told by my mentors that 3 would be plenty. How wrong they apparently were. Alas, I spent thousands on traveling to various unis for POI/department visits, which seemed to go splendidly, but got me no further than I am today. I'll have to somehow be more conservative, yet more effective on that front, if forced into a second round of applying. God, I just want IN, and to be done with this Twilight Zone-like rite of tortuous liminality.  :blink:

Edited by NightGallery

Hi everyone. I'm new here but have enjoyed reading posts for a while.

I'm in the same boat...waitlisted at my number one school. They let me know that I'm number 4 on the list. I'm trying to stay optimistic but not get too excited also. Is number 4 decent or is it far fetched as far as being made an offer? The program accepts 16 new grads each year. I sent a nice letter of continued interest to the committee, but seeing as how I'm ranked, I don't thik it will make much of a difference. Thoughts?

Hi everyone. I'm new here but have enjoyed reading posts for a while.

I'm in the same boat...waitlisted at my number one school. They let me know that I'm number 4 on the list. I'm trying to stay optimistic but not get too excited also. Is number 4 decent or is it far fetched as far as being made an offer? The program accepts 16 new grads each year. I sent a nice letter of continued interest to the committee, but seeing as how I'm ranked, I don't thik it will make much of a difference. Thoughts?

You never know. It depends on what programs the others are waiting on (your top choice may not be everyone else's top choice).

I interviewed at a school 2.5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything, and only rejections (without interview) have been posted on the forum. I tried contacting the grad coordinator yesterday to see when I might hear back, since I have an acceptance at another school which I need to make a decision on by April 15th, and she hasn't responded to my email yet...

Hey Dingbatty,

I don't think being number 4 is necessarily a bad position on the list.  In my opinion, it all depends on how interested people are in the program.  I would think that being 4 on the waitlist for a top 15 program is a worse situation than for a program that's up and coming because the people given offers to a more prestigious program are more likely to accept them, unless of course they have comparable offers across the board.

I'm in a rough spot right now myself, hence my continuous reading of this site.  I'm currently the alternate at my top choice school and the priority person has not made a decision either way yet (as far as I know), even though he/she has numerous offers to consider.  I do have another offer myself but I would much much rather go to the school I'm waiting for, as it has everything I'm looking for in a program.

Each day now is excruciatingly long, especially with the holiday coming up.  When you have something this important constantly in the back of your mind, it's difficult to even concentrate.  And of course, everyone around you wants to know if you have heard anything.

Hi all,

I've been following the forums for a while but decided to finally comment because just reading alone was making me more anxious! If we haven't heard anything from the grad program at this point, is it safe to assume we've been waitlisted (officially or unofficially)? I had contacted the coordinator/point of contact for applications nearly a month ago and got a really vague answer about when decisions would hopefully (hopefully!) be made. I really hoped to start a new career path with this PhD, but I guess the chances of that are really low at this point :(

I also haven't been told by two of the schools that I am waitlisted. I am assuming that since they made their first rounds of acceptances, the rest of us are just waiting. Waiting to find out if the elite applicants accept, and we will find out more then. :P

Bluesea,

I think it depends on each program and its way of handling the application process.  I do think it's starting to get late in the game but there are plenty of results still coming in.

Thanks for the encouragement acquablu. You're right, each program is different. Looks like you're in a similar boat...but I guess we all are or we wouldn't be on this forum! Who knows, maybe they just haven't made their decisions yet. I wish they would just tell us already though so we could a) celebrate, B) have our time of sadness, but then move on and move forward. I hope you get into your program of choice! Good luck to all!

Hey all!

I too was just waitlisted at my top school this week. I'm hoping since they usually let in about 100 students for their masters program that enough will turn down the school and I'll be able to get in for Fall.

Hey I feel you! Having been on 3 waiting lists since early Febraury, I felt frustrated at the beginning but busy work has maked things much easier recently. Can't wait to enter lucky April with all of you guys!

I was wait listed at my top choice school last week after no notice for 3 weeks post-interview. I emailed them back telling them that it was my first choice. I got an acceptance today! I'm so happy. I thought it was the best fit for me and I'm so glad they had faith in it as well. I think as long as you fit the school, it should happen. =) Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, 

I just wanted to chime in that I also received an acceptance in the past few days.  Do not give up hope.  I know it is easy to say and I've been suffering for the past 3 weeks but it was all totally worth it.

I wish you all the best!

Hey guys, 

I just wanted to chime in that I also received an acceptance in the past few days.  Do not give up hope.  I know it is easy to say and I've been suffering for the past 3 weeks but it was all totally worth it.

I wish you all the best!

Congratulations!