Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

This may sound stupid, but what exactly does cautiously optimistic mean. My POI told me he was cautiously optimistic that the school would be able to extend an offer to me, and I am trying to figure out how to interpret that.

Mine used those same words, and I am clinging to them...

After those words in a note and a conversation with him, I interpret it as:

- Would love to have you in the program

- Can't provide any promises

- Based on previous years experience with 1st round/waitlist process you stand a good shot

- BUT every year is unique, so ultimately caution is prudent

I just pray that the first rounders yeah or nay very soon -- the wait is SO distracting.

Guest HEPhD13

I was told the same thing. I even had a long talk with the school about what this meant and how the process worked. Although I was repeatedly told they couldn't make promises, that things were looking good, to "hold on" for months, and that they'd love to have me, I was rejected with a generic mail - merged email that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

This application season was a bust and I'm trying to figure out the next steps. I NEED to get a job before even thinking of applying again - 6 applications, 3 waitlists, and months of stress later, I'm all out of money, patience, and heart. I'll be taking a break to think of the future.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by HEPhD13

I was told the same thing. I even had a long talk with the school about what this meant and how the process worked. Although I was repeatedly told they couldn't make promises, that things were looking good, to "hold on" for months, and that they'd love to have me, I was rejected with a generic mail - merged email that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

This application season was a bust and I'm trying to figure out the next steps. I NEED to get a job before even thinking of applying again - 6 applications, 3 waitlists, and months of stress later, I'm all out of money, patience, and heart. I'll be taking a break to think of the future.

Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to hear that HEPhd.  Good luck figuring out the next steps: maybe not a fun experience, but you'll emerge stronger. 

Good luck to everyone!

So sorry to hear this.....dont give up though....do apply again....this was my second application for me....it totally sucks at the end of the first round....but you do feel better in a while....its the resolve that kept me going!

Hey waitlist-ee's! 

Do you suggest I send an email to my faculty stating why I would love to join their program and am really anticipating their decision? I wouldn't do it until early May most likely but wondering if this is a faux pas or not. 

Hey waitlist-ee's! 

Do you suggest I send an email to my faculty stating why I would love to join their program and am really anticipating their decision? I wouldn't do it until early May most likely but wondering if this is a faux pas or not. 

I don't see why it will hurt, but when you do so you need to demonstrate why you think you are a good fit with the program and don't restate anything that you already told them before. However, if you just send an email that says "I love you please accept me" (as much as all of us want to do this) don't do that. 

This may sound stupid, but what exactly does cautiously optimistic mean. My POI told me he was cautiously optimistic that the school would be able to extend an offer to me, and I am trying to figure out how to interpret that.

I basically got the same email from my PI.  I was told it boils down they know how many they can accept with funding (their policy), how many have been offered, historically how many will accept (I think that will be a different picture this year which will seriously affect those of us on wait lists), and how many / how qualified the others are who are on the waitlist.

"Cautiously optimistic" may be more optimistic than I am, given the financial situation in the sciences this year.  The PI that I work for as an UG has had major problems with his own funding this year.  Watching his situation has made me understand that other schools are all in the same situation and they will be accepting fewer students unless they have awesome endowments or PI's have more private funding vs. federal funding.

I've been on this waitlist for about two months now, but the phrase cautiously optimistic was used in an email response from my POI yesterday after I sent in a letter of continuing interest. I was also told the department is evaluating the number of acceptances to see if they can make more offers. I'm still not sure how hopeful I should be. I have been feeling as though I am just waiting around to get rejected. I'm just afraid of getting my hopes up and then having them crushed later.

Found out my dream school rejected on April Fool's Day. If only it were a prank! Now that 5/6 programs I have applied to have rejected me, it all comes down to the 1 waitlist spot. Wow. I knew this was possible, but didn't anticipate it happening. Wish me luck. Good luck to everyone who is still hung up in the waitlist web!!

I've been on this waitlist for about two months now, but the phrase cautiously optimistic was used in an email response from my POI yesterday after I sent in a letter of continuing interest. I was also told the department is evaluating the number of acceptances to see if they can make more offers. I'm still not sure how hopeful I should be. I have been feeling as though I am just waiting around to get rejected. I'm just afraid of getting my hopes up and then having them crushed later.

I feel your pain... This is practically identical to my recent experiences. Best Wishes!!

I wrote to the graduate assistant at the program I am waitlisted and she sent me an email saying she spoke to the director of the phd program and that the director will get back to me in the next couple of days. I am really feeling that they will ultimately reject me otherwise there would have been some other tone to the email....I cant believe that I am setting myself up fr a rejection :(

Congrats to people getting off the wait list! I agree cautiously optimistic means that the POI wants you but really just has to wait the process out, often your POI isn't making admission decisions so while they want you there are a bunch of other factors that come in to play so they can't guarantee anything.

I'm not sure if this makes it better or worse since it doesn't really change anything and you still have to wait the process out--but hopefully it makes you feel good about yourself! 

12 more days til April 15th...ugh hopefully this waiting is almost over. 

12 more days til April 15th...ugh hopefully this waiting is almost over. 

... Until they tell you, "we gave some people an extension on the deadline." Ugh. Praying this doesn't happen.

Got email from Uof Saskatchewan that I am still waitlisted and they don`t have answer for me yet. PhD and M.Sc applications in Agri.Economics...getting crazy.

But at list it is better than rejection right away...

Edited by fannek

Today I got put onto another wait list! I am starting to panic. I was excited that it was not a rejection because the last 2 schools I heard from were a rejection. I am down to needing to hear from 2 other schools with an initial answer and then 2 wait lists! Would anyone say that if you are one of the first few to hear you are wait listed that it would be a bad thing or a good thing? I posted on gradcafe that I was wait listed and there was only 1 other person that had a decision up for this school. When I first saw the decision on the application status I became nervous because I thought that if I heard that I was wait listed so fast, then I must not be high ranked. Maybe I over thought things, but then people were replying to the post and saying their status still said "Referred". Would you think hearing back first that you are wait listed is a good or bad thing? Is there a way to know? 

Edited by jhslp13

... Until they tell you, "we gave some people an extension on the deadline." Ugh. Praying this doesn't happen.

Oh man that would be horrible, I understand people need extensions sometimes but seriously make a decision!

I posted before about a notification that my top choice is starting to review its waitlist.

WELL, I got another email from my POI asking if I'd like to submit any more writing samples to my file for consideration. He emphasizes that it's purely voluntary and "additive," saying that it might help when he'll go to bat for me, but that he'll voice support for me no matter what.

So I feel good until I realize that my thesis adviser hasn't sent me any comments on my thesis in months and that the only parts of it that are proofread and 100% worry-free are introductory bits, which aren't particularly exemplary of my deep archival research. They'd sound unsubstantiated if I just sent them in by themselves. BUT, I'm not sure about the rest, which hasn't been read over yet.

Question for the group: should I send him stuff or just wait it out? He says more writing isn't really necessary, but it might help. I'm in a weird bind with my thesis (which is the most relevant writing sample I have that I didn't already send them), so I'm hesitant/anxious about sending it.

Please advise! 11 days!

Edited by Emdave

To my opinion, you should contact your thesis advisor and explain your situation. I am not an expert though, my major is in CS, but either someone will have to proofread or at least you could ask your thesis advisor if such a "first draft" could have a positive impact... I wish you the best!

Do you have like an abstract or something that you feel good about? If so send that, if you don't have a piece of writing that you feel good about then don't send anything--since he said it was optional it would be worse to send shoddy writing or writing you aren't confident in then to not send anything at all.