Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

I am on the wait list at my #1 choice and the other day I was contacted by the Graduate Admissions Coordinator. If the Graduate Coordinator calls you in regards to finding out about any other acceptances and makes sure you know you would paying out-of-state tuition if accepted, would this be considered a good sign? I am just freaking out! Do most schools call you to find out more information if you are on the wait list? Has anyone had this happen? Thanks everyone!

jhslp it sounds promising. I don't think admsission coordinators go out of their way to contact students--it sounds like they are trying to sort things out on their end before giving you news

jhslp it sounds promising. I don't think admsission coordinators go out of their way to contact students--it sounds like they are trying to sort things out on their end before giving you news

Thank you SO much Sryahmay! I am hoping that is what I was not over analyzing things. It had just shocked me that I received a call from the Graduate Admissions Coordinator. I am crossing my fingers! :)

Called the DGS at my waitlist school and I've been emailing with my POI. They said that they won't know until Monday (April 15) and that it might even be late in the day on monday.

It seems like there are four (heartless) people who are just sitting on their offers until April 15.

At this point, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Same here. I even had a Skype interview this week and the school will only get back to me on Monday now....I cant understand the interview and still no news on my waitlisted position :(

This forum has been incredibly helpful and I could really use some advice. I was recently unofficially accepted into a doctoral program from the wait list. Long story short my undergrad gpa wasn't stellar (2.8, less than the needed 3.0) so the school needs to get approval from graduate division before I can be officially accepted--I have a masters degree and my masters gpa is great (3.8). I've been told by the head of the admission committee that it is pretty much just a formality and shes never seen grad division not approve anyone but its still a process they have to go through. I had this same problem when I was accepted into my masters program and got the acceptance from graduate division with no problem, I think I'm so drained from this process and am terrified something will go wrong.

Should I be concerned that I might not be officially accepted?

Having been on the wait lists I'd also like to let go of my spot at other programs because should all go well with this school I'll definitely be attending but I'm hesitant to let those go until I get this official acceptance. One school has given me an extension but I'm not sure how long this grad. division process will take and I only have an extra week. Has anyone gone through or heard of a similar process? Any advice is much appreciated.

Same here. I even had a Skype interview this week and the school will only get back to me on Monday now....I cant understand the interview and still no news on my waitlisted position :(
They probably have to wait until that spot is officially open. Think of the mess if a mistake was made, they offered you a spot, and then somehow a miscommunication happened and they had to take it away again. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Also, I think it might be a small amount of insurance for the program. By waiting until the traditional deadline has passed, you aren't as likely to turn it down in favor of another offer.

am i the only one wondering whether the deadline is BY the 15th or by the end of the working day? 

oh god, tomorrow y'all...

I'd heard 5pm on April 15th

am i the only one wondering whether the deadline is BY the 15th or by the end of the working day? 

oh god, tomorrow y'all...

yea I'm pretty sure admits have until COB on the 15th to notify or have letters post marked by. there will probably be a bit of a flurry in the next couple of days. this process is so close to being done!

This forum has been incredibly helpful and I could really use some advice. I was recently unofficially accepted into a doctoral program from the wait list. Long story short my undergrad gpa wasn't stellar (2.8, less than the needed 3.0) so the school needs to get approval from graduate division before I can be officially accepted--I have a masters degree and my masters gpa is great (3.8). I've been told by the head of the admission committee that it is pretty much just a formality and shes never seen grad division not approve anyone but its still a process they have to go through. I had this same problem when I was accepted into my masters program and got the acceptance from graduate division with no problem, I think I'm so drained from this process and am terrified something will go wrong.

Should I be concerned that I might not be officially accepted?

Having been on the wait lists I'd also like to let go of my spot at other programs because should all go well with this school I'll definitely be attending but I'm hesitant to let those go until I get this official acceptance. One school has given me an extension but I'm not sure how long this grad. division process will take and I only have an extra week. Has anyone gone through or heard of a similar process? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thats a tough situation Sryahmay. Can you ask the DGS at the school you've been unofficially accepted at for when they think they might hear? It seems most likely that everything will go through just fine and they can't tell you definitively because this is kind of out of their hands...hopefully it will only take a couple days to get an official acceptance.

Any other thoughts?

I am currently number 16 on the waitlist for Gallaudet Audiology program. They typically offer admission to 20 some people I hear and enroll around 10ish i think? They have seven spots open right now which leaves 9 other people to deny their spot, for me to get admitted, or less if the wait listed people deny admission. They still have accepted people who haven't responded yet. What do you think is the likelihood of me getting a spot?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice (sorry if this is the wrong place to write this kind of post).

Calls are coming. Just got a call from UMichigan that I got in, but I've already accepted another offer. Hoping more good news comes to the rest of you waiting!