Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

I just got admitted off the waitlist! The excitement hasn't really hit me yet. I am still in such complete shock at the moment that I am almost shaking.  I hoped so much for this to happen, but did not expect it to. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting! I hope the next few days brings everyone wonderful news  :)

I just got admitted off the waitlist! The excitement hasn't really hit me yet. I am still in such complete shock at the moment that I am almost shaking.  I hoped so much for this to happen, but did not expect it to. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting! I hope the next few days brings everyone wonderful news  :)

Ahhhh! Congratulations!!  :lol:

Congratulations!

Just rejected from the waitlist - funny how all the professors were in direct contact with me, talking up their program, but when it comes to rejection, I get a generic form letter... I'm going to go cry in a corner before I go in search of ice cream. Best of luck to the rest of you. 

sorry to hear that Ruby, looks like you've got some acceptances though! but rejection never feels good. 

Good luck everyone April 15th is just around the corner! 

Ah, if only. I had to decline one of my acceptances because they weren't offering funding. The other is for a master's at my undergrad institution. I guess I have to decide if I want to go that route or reapply elsewhere next year.

Ah, if only. I had to decline one of my acceptances because they weren't offering funding. The other is for a master's at my undergrad institution. I guess I have to decide if I want to go that route or reapply elsewhere next year.

Is it a one year program?  Would you be finished in time to start a phd elsewhere fall 2014?  That might be a help in getting accepted...

Is it a one year program?  Would you be finished in time to start a phd elsewhere fall 2014?  That might be a help in getting accepted...

No, it is a two year. But it is a thought - trying for a PhD afterwards. The only problem is that it's mostly industry-oriented, not really meant to put you on a PhD track. That's why it was my backup. Still, I guess it is what you make of it.

And thank you, Sweetpearl. This is why I keep coming back to GradCafe - the community is not only awesome, the people here actually understand what you're going through.

Edited by RubyBright

ah got it thats tricky. I think it can really be what you make it. If you go into the program knowing you want to try for a PhD afterwards that would definitely put you a step ahead. It may not be the ideal but I think it could still lead towards a positive outcome.. I hope it works out for you

The Graduate Admissions Coordinator for the one of the programs I am wait listed at called me on Monday. (Talk about a freak out phone call!) She wanted to see if I had been accepted to any other programs yet and she wanted to make sure that I was okay with paying out of state tuition. She also remembered meeting me at a convention we both went to in November. She told me that if a slot opens up for me that I would get a call between now and April 22. I am not sure how to take this phone call I received. I don't think schools will just call up the people on their wait list. I am so excited/nervous/anxious....you name it and that is how I feel right now! (along with everyone else) I am just praying that maybe that phone call will be promising!! Any thoughts on that?? Only 5 days until April 15!! 

No, it is a two year. But it is a thought - trying for a PhD afterwards. The only problem is that it's mostly industry-oriented, not really meant to put you on a PhD track. That's why it was my backup. Still, I guess it is what you make of it.

And thank you, Sweetpearl. This is why I keep coming back to GradCafe - the community is not only awesome, the people here actually understand what you're going through.

Yah, don't really have any advice other than that.  Sorry- it's frustrating. 

Got off the waitlist at my first choice UC Santa Barbara in Mathematics. Same with my safety school UC Riverside a few days ago. 

One of my professor recommended that I email UCSB explaining that I had a standing offer at Riverside but that UCSB was my first choice school and that I had full intention of attending if an offer was made. I took her advise and today I got an offer from them!

Does not hearing back by 15th April mean rejection by default? Or does it make sense to wait for some time hoping to be accepted from wait list. In case of latter, till when should we wait before giving up all hope? are all funded programs REQUIRED to make their final decisions in April?

I don't think not hearing back by the 15th means rejection if you know you've been waitlisted. My POI told me that she can't even start to consider other applicants until the 15th... which leads me to wonder, are there people who get multiple offers and don't bother to decline the schools they're not interested in? 

Yea I'd agree. I think that they wait until the 15th and make decisions, some programs probably make decisions that day to try and fill their cohorts and for others there is probably some lag time for the admissions committee to get back together and select the next round etc. They may also have to wait a couple days for people accepting their offers via snail mail.

I'm sure some people either forget to or don't bother to decline their offers, but I'm pretty sure if a school doesn't hear from an accepted applicant they either assume they don't want to come and/or contact them to follow up. Since the 15th is on a monday it could definitely be worth it to follow up with your school by Wednesday or Thursday and inquire if they think they will be using the wait list, time line and what that process is like.

so close everyone!!

Edited by acdelco