Waitlisted - waiting for your school AND everyone else's

RubyBright

Done with waiting. All rejected/no offer

My dream school needs to reduce its class size by half (5 people for this year) because of sequestration.

What to do for the coming year? Work in my lab, hopefully get published, and apply to grad school once more.

Let us know how that goes!
I got an email back: decisions have been made and I should receive notification shortly. I'm taking that to be a rejection, since it would make sense that the graduate coordinator probably would tell me herself if I got in? At this point, rejection would be a relief, and I can get started thinking about my application for next year.

MammaD, I'm sorry to hear that! But if you are indeed rejected, the plus is that you now stand free and clear to plot your next move. And you've got the right idea; hit them harder next year! Never say die, we've all put too much blood, sweat and tears into our respective endeavors to just quit at this point. I wish you and everyone else dealing with this rough impasse the very best in all academic undetakings: myself included... I'm STILL waiting!

Edited by NightGallery

MammaD, I'm sorry to hear that! But if you are indeed rejected, the plus is that you now stand free and clear to plot your next move. And you've got the right idea; hit them harder next year! Never say die, we've all put too much blood, sweat and tears into our respective endeavors to just quit at this point. I wish you and everyone else dealing with this rough impasse the very best in all academic undetakings: myself included... I'm STILL waiting!

Thank you so much!

Ethnomusicology, eh? I was a music major in undergrad. Left my career as a professional clarinetist a year ago (after 17 years). Good luck to you!

I got my rejection letter about an hour ago. I am extremely relieved and looking forward to the pause. I will apply again next year and see what happens. If I'm rejected again, there will be tears and devastation but this year? I'm A-OK.

Thanks to all who've pulled for me these last few weeks and I sincerely wish all the best to each of you.

I dont know right now if i will fee better if i get a rejection. its like the last straw, rationally i know it is a rejection since I have not heard back from the school but i still want to hold on to the hope :(

I will apply again next year and see what happens.

I am thinking about it, but I also realize - I will have to ask for recommendations again, ask my university to send envelopes again, etc. etc. etc. It's just too much =)

Are you going to ask the same people to provide recommendations?

Edited by Riverside975

Are you going to ask the same people to provide recommendations?
One of the three, yes. I've already got 2 others lined up. I did a major study for my thesis so (I think) application will be much stronger next year. Hoping to publish some, too.

Just rejected off the MSU waitlist after a month and a half. When I spoke to the grad coordinator last week she said it was unlikely they were going to touch the waitlist because of how many acceptances they got.

Can't say it doesn't sting. 

My DGS has stopped responding to the emails I have sent about the status of my waiting list. Obviously that hints towards a rejection but I wish now she would just tell me!

Last year I applied to 9 schools, received one interview, and nine rejections. This year I applied to ten schools, and I received four acceptances. Research was my weakest link, so that's what I concentrated on rectifying, by doing research in an important researcher's lab, which also earned me another excellent letter of recommendation. There are always ways to make yourself into a stronger applicant. I had to try again, and it certainly paid off this time around. Good luck!

Edited by EastCoasting

Is it normal that I am still waiting to hear about funding and it is May 6th already? I kind of just want to decline my offer and move on with my life already. I got accepted mid March, so my patience is wearing thin. 

I emailed my would be advisor and he said early May (what is considered "early"?) and the admissions office said June (however, it was obvious they had no idea what I was talking about). I don't want to be pest, but do you think it would be acceptable to email my advisor after the 10th again (as the suggested date of "early May" doesn't hold after the 10th, or at least I don't think it does)?

I emailed my would be advisor and he said early May (what is considered "early"?) and the admissions office said June (however, it was obvious they had no idea what I was talking about). I don't want to be pest, but do you think it would be acceptable to email my advisor after the 10th again (as the suggested date of "early May" doesn't hold after the 10th, or at least I don't think it does)?

I would say that you should not email them before the 15th. You dont want to be too pushy either, that might not work for you. By the 15th if you have not heard from your future advisor you at least have a ground to email legitimately!

In my own situation I have decided not to email the DGS again since she wrote to me the last time saying that she will keep me posted. I dont want to push too much. Besides I think my chances are over.

Wait till the 15th at the very least. Unless there is a job or another offer that is getting jeopardized in this process.

My wait is over. Emailed DGS today. Received response. Rejected from the waitlist.  Ouch: I had been rejected after 4/15, but they FORGOT to inform me of their decision. Treated like an insect. That's it, I'm done for 2013. What else can I do? I'll set my sights on next year and MOVE FORWARD. Best of luck to all here still waiting and congratulations to those accepted. Give up? Hell no, I won't. 

My wait is over. Emailed DGS today. Received response. Rejected from the waitlist.  Ouch: I had been rejected after 4/15, but they FORGOT to inform me of their decision. Treated like an insect. That's it, I'm done for 2013. What else can I do? I'll set my sights on next year and MOVE FORWARD. Best of luck to all here still waiting and congratulations to those accepted. Give up? Hell no, I won't. 

This happened to me on both of my waitlists! In one case, a fellow waitlister on gradcafe had told me she was rejected, but they had forgotten to email me so I actually had to ask them about my status...

I would say that you should not email them before the 15th. You dont want to be too pushy either, that might not work for you. By the 15th if you have not heard from your future advisor you at least have a ground to email legitimately!

In my own situation I have decided not to email the DGS again since she wrote to me the last time saying that she will keep me posted. I dont want to push too much. Besides I think my chances are over.

Wait till the 15th at the very least. Unless there is a job or another offer that is getting jeopardized in this process.

Thanks for this advice. I actually called the admissions office (they don't ask for my name or my dept.) she said possibly next week, so I will wait until next wednesday to call the admissions office again and possibly my advisor. 

This happened to me on both of my waitlists! In one case, a fellow waitlister on gradcafe had told me she was rejected, but they had forgotten to email me so I actually had to ask them about my status...

It's crummy and unprofessional. Additionally, it's extremely insensitive to the dedicated applicants who have put SO much effort, resources, and interest into these programs (not to mention all of the effort that went into an applicant's undergraduate studies). They seem to forget that these are REAL peoples' Lives that fuel these applications. Flippant negligence.