F***k this process

GodelEscher

Rejected from two PhD programs post interview. Screw this whole process....

Now all I can interview is for masters programs? So what, I can be a LPC and work while I feel the failure of never getting a PhD program succumb me? I hate this process. 2 rejections post interview for PhD, 3 masters programs pending and a disgust that won't leave me. Oh yeah and a pitiful waitlist for # 6 (yay :sarcasm:).

So what do I do now? Beg to get off waitlist? Maybe if I fly over for their Masters program interview and speak to PhD program they might see I have dedication? Hell I don't know....

maybe I should give up, get a PhD in leadership (education) LOL..the program is only 2 years! then laugh at other people who took the "rigorous" 5+ yr route...har har har...someone fill up my vodka!!! Cause I am going into education...

or should I beg for NMSU (New Mexico) Phd program....I can't bear all these rejections. I flippin went to Julliard and Calarts, I'm talented...i should have stayed as a professional dancer/choreographer.

what to do....oh maybe get a refill on my drink so I can drown in my sorrows. Sounds good 

Well first off, I definitely get the disappointment that you are experiencing.  Rejection hurts especially when you felt like you gave it your best shot.  The good news is that you application season is not quite over yet so you may get off the waitlist.  Although, when I received my first rejection in my first application season, I knew the writing was on the wall so to speak.  I was correct and I did get rejected to at all 8 PhD programs that I applied to that season.  So it might be best for your mental health to go to plan B.  Plan B could be applying again next year, attending one of the master's programs, or tabling graduate school for now.

maybe I should give up, get a PhD in leadership (education) LOL..the program is only 2 years! then laugh at other people who took the "rigorous" 5+ yr route...har har har...someone fill up my vodka!!! Cause I am going into education...

I won't suggest changing course to a discipline that you have no experience or interest in.  Even if you do get in, you'll be miserable because you'll be taking courses and doing research in a field that you don't have a lot of interest in.  I also am surprised to hear that the PhD program is 2 years.  Most Education PhDs are 4 - 6 years.  If it 2 years, I imagine you won't be getting the quality experience that you are looking for.

Rejection hurts is not accurate enough to describe. I think this whole process is pathetic (psychology). Getting a 4.0 is not good enough and having excellent research experience is not good enough. So we compete into a program so we can get a job for 30,000 (internship) or 60,000 (faculty). There has got to be something better out there. This is dehumanizing, humiliating and disgusting. 

I think I should just go into a PA program, do my prereques and complete a 2 year program so I can make 70,000 a yr...Nobody cares how established you are in academia. Nobody cares if you are a great researcher...f***k it. I want to go back into surgery where I belong 

my friend i am sorry for my strong opinion but you seem to have a temper and you seem to be "all over the place", and you seem to not actually have true conviction for research in psychology. If I were interviewing you and I saw any of these signs, I would not consider you fit for 4/5 years of hard research

my friend i am sorry for my strong opinion but you seem to have a temper and you seem to be "all over the place", and you seem to not actually have true conviction for research in psychology. If I were interviewing you and I saw any of these signs, I would not consider you fit for 4/5 years of hard research

forgive me for my anger that seems justified...my father is a stanford grad with 120 pubs and well known in his field...you would feel less than if you were in my position as well

Rejection hurts is not accurate enough to describe. I think this whole process is pathetic (psychology). Getting a 4.0 is not good enough and having excellent research experience is not good enough. So we compete into a program so we can get a job for 30,000 (internship) or 60,000 (faculty). There has got to be something better out there. This is dehumanizing, humiliating and disgusting. 

I think I should just go into a PA program, do my prereques and complete a 2 year program so I can make 70,000 a yr...Nobody cares how established you are in academia. Nobody cares if you are a great researcher...f***k it. I want to go back into surgery where I belong 

Don't want to sound harsh, but....

1. Sorry, but this whole process is no different from the way everything else in life works !
  2. If you are doing this for the money, you're in the wrong place
  3. If you are doing this for public affection, you're still in the wrong place ("nobody cares...")
  4. Dehumanizing !!! c'mon...

If you're looking for advice - Try to step back and re-evaluate what you really want to do, and if it is the money or something else, reorient yourself in the right direction (there is no right or wrong - just what you want). If research is really what you want to do - for the love of research (there - I said it, bite me!) - assess your rejections constructively rather than dismissing the process, spend the year re-building your profile, and apply to more than just 2 programs in the next season.

Best of Luck !!!

Well, qualifications, GPA, research experience and the academic pedigree of your father won't count for much if you don't interview well. 

Your paper file can only get you up to the point of an invite to interview...if you then turn up in person and the AdComm don't think you're a suitable match for their program...you'll get rejected.

I was rejected from all the PhD programs I applied to in the 2011-2012 cycle. Yes rejection hurts, but please hold on to your dignity. Bitterness isn't going to help you in the long run, it'll only make you do things that you regret. Sense of entitlement won't get you anywhere either, certainly not in the most competitive PhD programs.

Re-apply again to Psychology programs next year. Perhaps there are schools out there that are a better match your research interests. Network with more professors in your field, it will give you experience of "interview-like" situations and how to establish rapports with faculty. Make sure that your SOP and letters writers aren't undermining the other parts of your application. 

Well, qualifications, GPA, research experience and the academic pedigree of your father won't count for much if you don't interview well. 

Your paper file can only get you up to the point of an invite to interview...if you then turn up in person and the AdComm don't think you're a suitable match for their program...you'll get rejected.

I was rejected from all the PhD programs I applied to in the 2011-2012 cycle. Yes rejection hurts, but please hold on to your dignity. Bitterness isn't going to help you in the long run, it'll only make you do things that you regret. Sense of entitlement won't get you anywhere either, certainly not in the most competitive PhD programs.

Re-apply again to Psychology programs next year. Perhaps there are schools out there that are a better match your research interests. Network with more professors in your field, it will give you experience of "interview-like" situations and how to establish rapports with faculty. Make sure that your SOP and letters writers aren't undermining the other parts of your application. 

So true...thank you for the insight. Although I am very negative, I may be bias because I received 4 rejections in one day so I am quite spiteful. However you have made some great points

Um... I think the OP was just having an online vent.  We shouldn't assume this is how the OP presented themselves at interview, or that the vent is indicative of deep psychological problems.  Four rejections in one day is enough to upset anyone.

I agree with margarets. Just because this guy/girl is pissed off and verbally erratic here, on an internet forum, due to a seriously demoralizing rejection streak, doesn't mean we should make assumptions about his/her professional performance or character. If OP was rejected from 4 places back-to-back, having outstanding credentials and no clear-cut reason as to why (s)he was rejected, of course OP is going to feel confused, scorned, upset, humiliated. And of course his/her words will reflect that. This is a place to vent, for Christ's sake; if we aren't empathetic to each other here, then where?

ApexKnowledge-- I wish I had some magic words to make this all okay for you. Assuming you really do have the high GPA and research credentials you mentioned, it boggles my brain that you'd receive so many rejections. For what it's worth, I don't think you're displaying a sense of entitlement, as "entitlement" indicates you expect something you did not work for. But you worked for this. Hard. So I think your frustration and anger is warranted.

I know this will seem impossible, but try not to take it personally. These rejections, hard as it may seem, do not necessarily reflect on you. They may just reflect on the competitiveness of the programs you applied to. For instance, my uncle had his Master's degree, with a 3.9 GPA, stellar GRE scores, and 6 years of highly relevant research experience in his field. 2 of those years he spent working directly with the Head of MIT's department. Yes, MIT-- one of the best schools in the world. And he still got rejected from 4 out of the 5 PhD programs he applied to. He was overly qualified, in most peoples' opinions, but was dealt the same harsh blow as you. But it was only because the PhD programs he applied to were SUPER competitive. They accepted fewer than 15 students per year, and for every 1 open spot, received nearly 50 applications.

So he was a big fish in most ponds, so to speak, but a smaller-than-average fish in the ENORMOUS pond of PhD applicants. It's all relative. Similarly, you seem to have incredible credentials and I hope that you-- as well as your father-- are extremely proud of them. You've already come such a long way and have done a lot more than most people. Take pride in that, and never underestimate it. Just keep in mind that, when it comes to many PhD programs, you are up against the best in the world. That's a tall order, for anybody.

I agree with whoever posted previously that you should start thinking about Plan B, just for your own mental stability's sake. Maybe you'll get taken off that wait-list and all will be well. But having back-up plans in place is extremely important under any circumstances, not just grad school. Personally, while I wait for all my acceptances/rejections to come in, I am applying to as many jobs as I can and laying the groundwork for re-applying next year, if it comes to that. I'm writing up a personal financial plan for the coming 12 months, to make sure I have the money to retake the GRE and get higher scores; I'm sending thank-you cards to all those who wrote recommendations for me, and in those cards, asking them to keep their letters in case I apply again in the future. Basically, I am preparing myself and my life to sustain another 12 months until I can try again, just in case. You should definitely do the same. Come up with a 12 month plan for yourself.

And part of this plan should include things to look forward to. As you've experienced, this process can be extremely demoralizing. It takes so much out of us. So put something on your calendar that makes you smile, even if it's something relatively small. For example, I am planning a mini roadtrip with my friend. It won't be for another few months, and it will only last 4 days because we can't afford anything longer than that. But those 4 days will be bliss, and they'll allow us to escape for a while and recharge from all this grad school-related stress.

Do the same for yourself. You're worth that, and you'll probably need it. If you can't afford even 4 days away, plan for a friend to just come over for a whole weekend and have a movie marathon, or go see a concert, or play laser tag or do something childish and fun that you wouldn't normally do. It'll help you, really. And in the meantime, remember that you aren't alone in these experiences, that many, many others with great qualifications are being rejected too. Please don't beat yourself up too much.

Very best of luck, friend.

Edited by ThePope

Now all I can interview is for masters programs? So what, I can be a LPC and work while I feel the failure of never getting a PhD program succumb me? I hate this process. 2 rejections post interview for PhD, 3 masters programs pending and a disgust that won't leave me. Oh yeah and a pitiful waitlist for # 6 (yay :sarcasm:).

So what do I do now? Beg to get off waitlist? Maybe if I fly over for their Masters program interview and speak to PhD program they might see I have dedication? Hell I don't know....

or should I beg for NMSU (New Mexico) Phd program....I can't bear all these rejections. I flippin went to Julliard and Calarts, I'm talented...i should have stayed as a professional dancer/choreographer.

what to do....oh maybe get a refill on my drink so I can drown in my sorrows. Sounds good 

Echoed sentiments. That is all.

I completely understand your frustrations. I was rejected from all 5 of my schools the first time I submitted my apps. One of which was after an interview AND after someone on the committee called me asking what labs I would like to rotate in. I was heartbroken.

One school admitted me into their Master's program, despite applying to their PhD program. I would suggest getting your Master's and then re-applying. You would also have an "in" at the school you do your Master's at for their PhD program. 

I know how hard it is, but hang in there!

Um... I think the OP was just having an online vent.  We shouldn't assume this is how the OP presented themselves at interview, or that the vent is indicative of deep psychological problems.  Four rejections in one day is enough to upset anyone.

Oh goodness thank you. Yes, my previous post was quite negative. We all have our moments. Ahh but a new morning does a lot when I have realized that life never goes the way we "want." I am a little frustrated with 4 consecutive rejects via email. Seriously, what an odd phenomenon (or maybe not). Either way now that it's a new morning, I have slept and dealt with realty...'tis ok. 

Sometimes we get in...sometimes we don't. I'm just glad I applied to various programs so now re-focusing on achieving a well funded masters program.

At times we fall, but the point is getting up...not dwelling on why....so here I am, slapping the dirt of me and facing the embarrassment. Life goes on (thank goodness).....eh bitterness never lasts in my heart (there are better things to waste energy on). :rolleyes:

I agree with margarets. Just because this guy/girl is pissed off and verbally erratic here, on an internet forum, due to a seriously demoralizing rejection streak, doesn't mean we should make assumptions about his/her professional performance or character. If OP was rejected from 4 places back-to-back, having outstanding credentials and no clear-cut reason as to why (s)he was rejected, of course OP is going to feel confused, scorned, upset, humiliated. And of course his/her words will reflect that. This is a place to vent, for Christ's sake; if we aren't empathetic to each other here, then where?

ApexKnowledge-- I wish I had some magic words to make this all okay for you. Assuming you really do have the high GPA and research credentials you mentioned, it boggles my brain that you'd receive so many rejections. For what it's worth, I don't think you're displaying a sense of entitlement, as "entitlement" indicates you expect something you did not work for. But you worked for this. Hard. So I think your frustration and anger is warranted.

I know this will seem impossible, but try not to take it personally. These rejections, hard as it may seem, do not necessarily reflect on you. They may just reflect on the competitiveness of the programs you applied to. For instance, my uncle had his Master's degree, with a 3.9 GPA, stellar GRE scores, and 6 years of highly relevant research experience in his field. 2 of those years he spent working directly with the Head of MIT's department. Yes, MIT-- one of the best schools in the world. And he still got rejected from 4 out of the 5 PhD programs he applied to. He was overly qualified, in most peoples' opinions, but was dealt the same harsh blow as you. But it was only because the PhD programs he applied to were SUPER competitive. They accepted fewer than 15 students per year, and for every 1 open spot, received nearly 50 applications.

So he was a big fish in most ponds, so to speak, but a smaller-than-average fish in the ENORMOUS pond of PhD applicants. It's all relative. Similarly, you seem to have incredible credentials and I hope that you-- as well as your father-- are extremely proud of them. You've already come such a long way and have done a lot more than most people. Take pride in that, and never underestimate it. Just keep in mind that, when it comes to many PhD programs, you are up against the best in the world. That's a tall order, for anybody.

I agree with whoever posted previously that you should start thinking about Plan B, just for your own mental stability's sake. Maybe you'll get taken off that wait-list and all will be well. But having back-up plans in place is extremely important under any circumstances, not just grad school. Personally, while I wait for all my acceptances/rejections to come in, I am applying to as many jobs as I can and laying the groundwork for re-applying next year, if it comes to that. I'm writing up a personal financial plan for the coming 12 months, to make sure I have the money to retake the GRE and get higher scores; I'm sending thank-you cards to all those who wrote recommendations for me, and in those cards, asking them to keep their letters in case I apply again in the future. Basically, I am preparing myself and my life to sustain another 12 months until I can try again, just in case. You should definitely do the same. Come up with a 12 month plan for yourself.

And part of this plan should include things to look forward to. As you've experienced, this process can be extremely demoralizing. It takes so much out of us. So put something on your calendar that makes you smile, even if it's something relatively small. For example, I am planning a mini roadtrip with my friend. It won't be for another few months, and it will only last 4 days because we can't afford anything longer than that. But those 4 days will be bliss, and they'll allow us to escape for a while and recharge from all this grad school-related stress.

Do the same for yourself. You're worth that, and you'll probably need it. If you can't afford even 4 days away, plan for a friend to just come over for a whole weekend and have a movie marathon, or go see a concert, or play laser tag or do something childish and fun that you wouldn't normally do. It'll help you, really. And in the meantime, remember that you aren't alone in these experiences, that many, many others with great qualifications are being rejected too. Please don't beat yourself up too much.

Very best of luck, friend.

Ahh a voice of reason. Thank you for understanding. Although rejection is rough (why did they decide to reject all at the same time?) it is part of this overwhelming process. In regards to Plan B, you have a valid point - since I may not be competitive "enough" (and I though I was) there is always room for more achievement so I am re-focusing on my masters interview this morning. Although  4 rejections at once are hurtful, I am realistic. I get angry, I am human....now I am over it. So be it. Now on to the next conquest...plus I am still waitlisted at one program so I won't know where I will be after April 15th.

Either way I am proud this application process is challenging me because I would not be part of it if it was not. It's a new day....besides I did not know I would be criticized for being "human" and frustrated from the process (aren't we all in the same boat?). Isn't that what the internet is for? To vent? and get over it? geez... 

LOL so judgmental 

but funny at the same time. 

I see your frustration but you'll have to take a step back and not only look at yourself and your goals but also possible alternatives. 

Like others here I got rejected from every Ph.D. (in clinical psych) program I applied to last season (all 15 of them) without so much as an interview. So congrats on at least getting interviewed. I had recently finished a masters, done research, and worked in the field and still got rejected without even a chance to interview. i took a step back, assessed my situation and my interests and applied again this time to a mix of Psy,D, and Ph.D. programs. Got two Psy.D. interviews and feel pretty good about the outcome, still waiting on other schools but I feel I have a good shot this time of getting something rather than nothing. 

Consider going for a masters, doing a research thesis, working in the field some more. Look at what you really want out of the field and in your own professional goals. 

I see your frustration but you'll have to take a step back and not only look at yourself and your goals but also possible alternatives. 

Like others here I got rejected from every Ph.D. (in clinical psych) program I applied to last season (all 15 of them) without so much as an interview. So congrats on at least getting interviewed. I had recently finished a masters, done research, and worked in the field and still got rejected without even a chance to interview. i took a step back, assessed my situation and my interests and applied again this time to a mix of Psy,D, and Ph.D. programs. Got two Psy.D. interviews and feel pretty good about the outcome, still waiting on other schools but I feel I have a good shot this time of getting something rather than nothing. 

Consider going for a masters, doing a research thesis, working in the field some more. Look at what you really want out of the field and in your own professional goals. 

Yes, I think the fact that I do not even have an UG thesis may be the culprit, which I feel is a little unfair because my UG program did not even have one (can you believe that!). So hopefully getting into a Masters program will help if I chose to reapply next year. 

No interview for 15 program? Ouch. As another rejection email comes in (this morning) I have realized this process is not about being less competitive rather, maybe finding different programs that fit or the necessity to build my CV more. 

Either way, I am reassessing whether this is the field for me. Things look rather different when you are a single mom with no support. Frustrating but maybe I am not meant for this field. Maybe I am a better fit in a different area of research....  

I hear you loud and clear and would like to say that this applies to other programs too. F**k the whole process. People on the outside don't understand how grueling and soul-sucking it is to apply, and wait, and get rejected etc. I'm so sick of hearing "you can try again next year!" Sure, I *can*, but just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should, y'know? I honestly don't know if I have another round in me, and I worry that I will be disappointing the people who have been supportive of me if I decide to just move on. I think this is the scariest point in the process for me so far - deciding what to do next if the grad school route doesn't pan out for me.

I hear you loud and clear and would like to say that this applies to other programs too. F**k the whole process. People on the outside don't understand how grueling and soul-sucking it is to apply, and wait, and get rejected etc. I'm so sick of hearing "you can try again next year!" Sure, I *can*, but just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should, y'know? I honestly don't know if I have another round in me, and I worry that I will be disappointing the people who have been supportive of me if I decide to just move on. I think this is the scariest point in the process for me so far - deciding what to do next if the grad school route doesn't pan out for me.

So flipping right! See I am not alone! I am a little irritated that people say "Well at least you tried." Ummm that never helps. People have no understanding that this a grueling and painful experience. What's worse is that the grad students that I work with only applied to *ONE* program....me? 15. 

I think I have come to accept that I will not get in this season, nor will I try again next year. Either you get in or you don't. I honestly don't have the financial and emotional means to do it again. I have minimal support around me. Maybe from the grad students :pat on the back: "there's always next year" or from my mom "At least you tried, some people never try for a PhD"....sorry mother that does not help....sorry grad students I am not a whiz like you.

OP, is it usual in psychology to go directly from undergrad to a doctorate?  I was under the impression that in general, in most disciplines, people do a master's first.  So, is it possible that you tried to make a very rare, big jump, and that's why you were rejected?  If so, does that help to put it in perspective?