Fall 2014 applicants??

Up before dawn doing the homework I had blown off all weekendPlusMonday because I'm mentally exhausted.

I'm not sure if it is the entire waiting process or my recent breakup or the fact that I haven't had hot running water in a month or the fact that I could be homeless in a week.

I can do it though. Right? People have made it through worse situations - I'm clever, I'll figure something out.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that! Too bad that you re so far away! But don't give up hope, I am sure that you can figure something out, maybe moving into a cheaper apartment or get a part time job etc.

I started tutoring again, because I need money to apply for MA. Phd was an tragedy for me this season. I was somehow surprised that a lot of schools require that international students have to evaluate their degrees by some certain American agency! This alone would cost me 300 US dollars! I have to save money if the MA also did not work out so I have to retake GRE and apply again....:(. I have a full time job, but application makes me so poor that I consider to move to a cheaper place. Can u try to explain it to your landlord that u would pay a little bit later? I wish you good luck! Everything would work out eventually somehow , just don't drop your dream:)

Edited by WendyWonderland

I hope everyone hears good news today or this week.

I want to hear from Rutgers because even though I believe it is way out of my league and my chances are extremely slim, I still (probably foolishly) have that "you never know" thought.

We've all said that these things are a crapshoot.  Which means that even if you've gotten rejected by eight in a row, you could still get accepted at one.

I keep thinking of how, when my LOR writers were reading my writing sample (they helped me with that too), it really resonated with one as "excellent" (he even told me it needed to be published), while the other just saw it as "solid/passable."  The same things can happen with different committees.  You just never know!

I'm in a slightly optimistic mood, but that is likely to change.  

Anyway, I've vaguely thought of re-applying next year if my one acceptance doesn't have funding and/or even if it does but my boyfriend and I find that we don't think we could happy in the new city.

But even if I did re-apply, it wouldn't be to 13 schools again.  More like 6 or 7.  And I'd choose strategically and aim less high.  I applied "widely" this time as it was, and wasn't applying to all top 10, top 20, or even top 30 or 50.  But I would aim even less high, maybe, but still with careful selection and more attention to how many the school typically lets in per year.

I applied to a few schools that only let in about 4 to 6 per year.  

About the letters...I'd probably just ask the same people to send some variation of the same letter.  They were really cool this year about it; they'd probably do it again, especially given that they can virtually use the same letter with minor tweaks based on....whatever changes.

That said, I don't know that I will re-apply.  

But even if I did re-apply, it wouldn't be to 13 schools again.  More like 6 or 7.  And I'd choose strategically and aim less high.  I applied "widely" this time as it was, and wasn't applying to all top 10, top 20, or even top 30 or 50.  But I would aim even less high, maybe, but still with careful selection and more attention to how many the school typically lets in per year.

Yep, I'm in a similar situation and feel your pain. I am currently waitlisted at a couple of places (with the possiblity of more waitlists), but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case I end up rejected. I applied to 10 schools this year, and I tried to cast a wide net as far as applying to schools outside the top 20. However, you bring up a valid point, in that a lot of these schools simply lack the funds to accept a sizable class. I didn't think I had a chance at my top programs, but those were exactly the ones that waitlisted me. If I do decide to do another round, I'll stick to programs that not only match my interests well, but are capable of letting in more students.

And I'll talk to the professors beforehand... Definitely.

But I wish you good luck on the rest of your schools. -We applied to a lot of the same programs.

Oh no! Do you have any prospects for a new place to live?

Prospects are a bit grim.

Roomie is moving out. I work a part-time job (20hrs a week), and go to school full time. Rent was in the roomies name - we split it all down the middle. So I need a new contract. The landlord wants to bump rent up to nearly double. So I'm stuck paying nearly 4 times more (I can't afford that) while looking for a new roomie for a few months and then still paying double. Or, I could leave.

I have friends with couches. or I could go to my mother's house. But I left my mother's house to escape her alcoholism.

Maybe I can sleep at my Uni?

I'm thinking a lot about reapplying too. I haven't been accepted to A SINGLE SCHOOL. And the stress is killing me. Even being waitlisted at this point would feel like a god send.

I'm sure that it's probably juvenile, but I am seriously dreading emailing my undergrad profs and telling them that I got rejected across the board... and then asking if they will write my letters again for this coming application season. I totally shot myself in the foot during this process. I should have applied to some "lower tier" schools, some MA programs... I knew this would be hard but this feels ridiculous. 

I'm trying not to let my negative emotions spiral out of control but sometimes I just can't help it. 

Dear Graduate School Gods,

I just want ONE acceptance... I don't care where. Thanks!

I'm thinking a lot about reapplying too. I haven't been accepted to A SINGLE SCHOOL. And the stress is killing me. Even being waitlisted at this point would feel like a god send.

I'm sure that it's probably juvenile, but I am seriously dreading emailing my undergrad profs and telling them that I got rejected across the board... and then asking if they will write my letters again for this coming application season. I totally shot myself in the foot during this process. I should have applied to some "lower tier" schools, some MA programs... I knew this would be hard but this feels ridiculous.

I'm trying not to let my negative emotions spiral out of control but sometimes I just can't help it.

I'm right there with you. Syracuse is totally throwing me for a loop, but Villanova has a deadline open for a funded (possibly) MA until March 1, so I'm almost done applying for that just in case the 'Cuse breaks my heart. There are still options, especially if you wanna pursue an MA. I've found that profs are more than willing to adjust their letter to help out :)

Edited by despejado

I'm right there with you. Syracuse is totally throwing for me a loop, but Villanova has a deadline open for a funded (possibly) MA until March 1, so I'm almost done applying for that just in case the 'Cuse breaks my heart. There are still options, especially if you wanna pursue an MA. I've found that profs are more than willing to adjust their letter to help out :)

I did NOT know that about nova.... I might have to look into it (quickly). It's hard not to get depressed through this whole process. Thank god I have enough tea to calm my nerves.

I did NOT know that about nova.... I might have to look into it (quickly). It's hard not to get depressed through this whole process. Thank god I have enough tea to calm my nerves.

Yes! Definitely quickly because you would still have to notify letter writers and that kind of thing, but they do seem to be flexible with their deadline. Plus, I have friends in Philly and have been to visit once; I loved it and totally wouldn't mind living there for a couple years. A nice little back up plan, if you ask me :) and Nova has a great reputation. I have a friend who did his MA there and is writing his dissertation at Penn now.

Yes! Definitely quickly because you would still have to notify letter writers and that kind of thing, but they do seem to be flexible with their deadline. Plus, I have friends in Philly and have been to visit once; I loved it and totally wouldn't mind living there for a couple years. A nice little back up plan, if you ask me :) and Nova has a great reputation. I have a friend who did his MA there and is writing his dissertation at Penn now.

That's great! And it's close to home for me... I'm in Baltimore so it's not that far away at all. We'll see. I'll spend the rest of the day today thinking about it.

That's great! And it's close to home for me... I'm in Baltimore so it's not that far away at all. We'll see. I'll spend the rest of the day today thinking about it.

:) feel free to message me or something if you have any questions!

I'm right there with you. Syracuse is totally throwing me for a loop, but Villanova has a deadline open for a funded (possibly) MA until March 1, so I'm almost done applying for that just in case the 'Cuse breaks my heart. There are still options, especially if you wanna pursue an MA. I've found that profs are more than willing to adjust their letter to help out :)

Man! It's a shame they don't have many options for Rhet - I do see some Comm studies in their program though...

Hmmm, perhaps?

Man! It's a shame they don't have many options for Rhet - I do see some Comm studies in their program though...

Hmmm, perhaps?

Bowties, do it!!! It would be so awesome to end up at the same program.

I hope everyone hears good news today or this week.

I want to hear from Rutgers because even though I believe it is way out of my league and my chances are extremely slim, I still (probably foolishly) have that "you never know" thought.

We've all said that these things are a crapshoot.  Which means that even if you've gotten rejected by eight in a row, you could still get accepted at one.  I have a friend at Rice right now who started grad school in 2007.  She got rejected everywhere (even at schools lower ranked than Rice), but...she's at Rice!

I keep thinking of how, when my LOR writers were reading my writing sample (they helped me with that too), it really resonated with one as "excellent" (he even told me it needed to be published), while the other just saw it as "solid/passable."  The same things can happen with different committees.  You just never know!

I'm in a slightly optimistic mood, but that is likely to change.  

Anyway, I've vaguely thought of re-applying next year if my one acceptance doesn't have funding and/or even if it does but my boyfriend and I find that we don't think we could happy in the new city.

About the letters...I'd probably just ask the same people to send some variation of the same letter.  They were really cool this year about it; they'd probably do it again, especially given that they can virtually use the same letter with minor tweaks based on....whatever changes.

That said, I don't know that I will re-apply.  

So much of what you said resonated with me. Even though I will most likely get rejected from Rutgers, I still have hopes. In fact, even when I knew I probably had been rejected at UMich, when I got an email from UMich admissions, I still had butterflies in my stomach thinking maybe, just maybe, it could be an acceptance (spoiler: it wasn't).

And what you said about the subjectivity of the SoP/writing sample? SO TRUE! Everyone that read my SoP felt it was very strong, but even now re-reading it, I feel like it is a mess! Who knows what kind of mood the person will be in when he/she reads it – or what sort of stellar sample he/she may have read directly before mine. The subjectivity of this whole thing is making me nuts!

I too am starting to lose hope. I’ve only heard back from two schools, but they have been rejections, and then I also have a few implied rejections from schools I just haven’t heard from but sent out acceptances and waitlist notifications. The worst part is, as you mentioned, definitely telling undergraduate professors/recommenders.

I need to meet with one professor to get some paperwork signed and I am absolutely DREADING it! He's been my academic advisor since I was a freshman and we're incredibly close - he's the first person to suggest I am capable of "going all the way" and getting a PhD. I also have a meeting today with the head of my College's McNair program, and she's definitely going to ask about applications; I am so stressed out to tell her that I've gotten two rejections and no acceptances! She will probably reassure me, but I'm still worried and stressed about it. :unsure:

Edit - Grammar, it no love me no more.

Edited by DyslexicBibliophile

I'm nearly convinced... I feel bad asking my letter writers to send something on such a short notice. Oh well, right?

But it would be awesome!

I'm a bit of a foodie and I often bring lunch to my peers - we could have a GradCafe picnic!

Honestly, I think your writers would understand; they've all been through the application process, and mine at least were very understanding of how I felt after multiple rejections and agreed to help me in any way I felt necessary. Also, Nova says on their website that the deadline might be flexible, so you can always call and talk to them about your situation.

And yes! GradCafe picnic. I'm counting on it.

Did anyone else read Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher? It’s definitely got its strengths and weaknesses, but one thing that really helped me was his idea of 3-3-3 (that’s my name for it, but I don’t remember what he calls it):

• 3 shoot for the stars schools
  • 3 schools where you feel like you have a decent shot 
  • 3 schools that you feel pretty damn confident you can get into (bearing in mind that there really is no such thing as a safety school)

My mentor broke it down for me like this:

• 3 top-tier schools (though I ended up applying to 14 schools total and top-loading them with about 8 top-tier schools)
  • 3 schools ranked between 25-75
  • 3 schools ranked below 76

In trying to structure my applicants this way, I learned something I’d never expected: there are a lot of wonderful schools with big-name faculty and incredible placement statistics that fall well below Top 50. Two of my schools that fall in that last category (ranked 82 and 121, respectively) have better funding, shorter completion times, and higher placement statistics than many of the first-tier schools I applied to. 

I feel very blessed two be sitting at a couple of acceptances right now, but am still debating on reapplying in the Fall and, should I do so, I guess what I’m saying is that, I’ve decided to focus a good deal more not only on “fit,” but also on location, and--most importantly for me--student outcomes. What I care about at the end of this is that I have a remote shot at finding a faculty position somewhere and while university reputation definitely plays a roll in all of it, it isn’t my preeminent concern anymore. Caveat: I want to end up at a teaching university rather than an R1-type of school, so my perspective might be a little different than others. 

Best of luck to everyone on the boards today. We should realistically only have a couple more weeks of this painful waiting, right? :)

Edit: clarification on numbers
Edited by Kamisha

Did anyone else read Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher? It’s definitely got its strengths and weaknesses, but one thing that really helped me was his idea of 3-3-3 (that’s my name for it, but I don’t remember what he calls it):

• 3 schools that you feel pretty damn confident you can get into (bearing in mind that there really is no such thing as a safety school)

• 3 top-tier schools (though I ended up applying to 14 schools total and top-loading them with about 8 top-tier schools)

In trying to structure my applicants this way, I learned something I’d never expected: there are a lot of wonderful schools with big-name faculty and incredible placement statistics that fall well below Top 50. Two of my schools that fall in that last category (ranked 82 and 121, respectively) have better funding, shorter completion times, and higher placement statistics than many of the first-tier schools I applied to. 

I feel very blessed two be sitting at a couple of acceptances right now, but am still debating on reapplying in the Fall and, should I do so, I guess what I’m saying is that, I’ve decided to focus a good deal more not only on “fit,” but also on location, and--most importantly for me--student outcomes. What I care about at the end of this is that I have a remote shot at finding a faculty position somewhere and while university reputation definitely plays a roll in all of it, it isn’t my preeminent concern anymore. Caveat: I want to end up at a teaching university rather than an R1-type of school, so my perspective might be a little different than others. 

Best of luck to everyone on the boards today. We should realistically only have a couple more weeks of this painful waiting, right? :)

I read the book and actually have seen Donald Asher speak at a few conferences. At one of the conferences, he clarified that when he wrote that specific book, 6 was the ideal number of applications, but in today's market and with all the funding cuts lately, he suggested that 12 is now the ideal number. He still stands by the 3-3-3- rule, just now it's 30%-30%-30%. If you apply to 12 schools, make sure 4 are star schools, 4 are decent chance schools, and that there are 4 you feel pretty damn confident about getting into. He also mentioned that he would not suggest applying to any less than 10 programs in the current market.

Edit - reread and realized I wasn't explaining very well; clarified some statements.

Edited by DyslexicBibliophile

I've reached my upvote quota (What is there a shortage on happiness?!?!) for the day when I upvoted Despejado's comment about GradCafe picnics.

But here is a big virtual cookie for you! There really are some great people all over the place and there is certainly more things to consider than what people call rank.

I read the book and actually have seen Donald Asher speak at a few conferences. At one of the conferences, he clarified that when he wrote that specific book, 6 was the ideal number of applications, but in today's market and with all the funding cuts lately, he suggested that 12 is now the ideal number. He said though, that you should still break your applicants in three. If you apply to tw schools, 4 star schools, 4 decent chance schools, and 4 you feel pretty damn confident about getting into schools. He also mentioned that he would not suggest applying to any less than 10 in the current market.

That’s good to know. If I reapply, I’ve stick right around 12 :)

I've reached my upvote quota (What is there a shortage on happiness?!?!) for the day when I upvoted Despejado's comment about GradCafe picnics.

But here is a big virtual cookie for you! There really are some great people all over the place and there is certainly more things to consider than what people call rank.

Haha I’ve reached my upvote quota as well, which is funny because it’s only 9AM where I am. No more positivity today, folks. 

Thanks for this! I really wish I had applied to more schools, but there's no going back now. If I don't get in anywhere, there's always next year.

Thanks for this! I really wish I had applied to more schools, but there's no going back now. If I don't get in anywhere, there's always next year.

I hope you get good news soon! :)

I think they trickle them out to you... because I was out of votes at 4am but I was able to squeeze another out about 15 minutes ago.

Rationing upvotes just seems silly to me. Let me be positive!!