Fall 2014 applicants??

I am so glad to hear you say that. I'm seriously thinking about reapplying.

I'm starting to seriously regret my thought process at the beginning of the application process. I told myself that if I didn't get into the programs I applied to (allegedly all "top tier") then I wasn't going to be someone that could be competitive in the job market or in academia. I am kicking myself. I wish I had applied to some "middle tier" programs and some MAs. The app fees would have sucked but I probably wouldn't be so stressed right now if I had!

It's such a different process from applying to undergrad; it throws us all for a loop.  It's harder, less fair, and more difficult to control on our end.  But I'll restate what you seem to already know--you will still absolutely be competitive if you don't get top teer.

I wish you the best of luck--hang in there, and know there will be plenty of people on GC doing the same thing if you decide to go for another round. :)

Right...so what would you do? Reopen the discussion? Do you think fit could be adequately expressed via other parts of the application, or do you think the LoRs are pretty central to that whole thing?

I honestly have no clue. It might depend from department to department? I’m definitely no expert on any of this.

I have no reason for confidence!!! Haha. My 7 rejections are not a good arsenal to have. :P

Remember: it’s honestly all about “fit.” You can be the smartest, funniest, most promising, and most enjoyable student to have around, but if the department doesn’t feel like you are a good “fit” for them.....then they are stupid ;) Trust that someone will recognize what you bring to the table! 

I honestly have no clue. It might depend from department to department? I’m definitely no expert on any of this.

Thanks for humoring me, guys...Kamisha, you've had acceptances, correct?  And your acceptances were based (at least partly) in your LoR being drafted specifically for your programs?  Or, at least, you got in with that sort of an application (as opposed to an Interfolio application) and I would imagine that's what most people here would say...  

Maybe I should invert this whole mess: Is there anybody out there who feels that they had a successful round of applications using just Interfolio for their LoRs?!

Thanks for humoring me, guys...Kamisha, you've had acceptances, correct?  And your acceptances were based (at least partly) in your LoR being drafted specifically for your programs?  Or, at least, you got in with that sort of an application (as opposed to an Interfolio application) and I would imagine that's what most people here would say...  

Maybe I should invert this whole mess: Is there anybody out there who feels that they had a successful round of applications using just Interfolio for their LoRs?!

I do have a couple of acceptances, yes. I realize that I’m very, very lucky. I think that my LoR’s probably had something to do with acceptances, but I can’t say to what degree.

Bear in mind, though, I’ve also been rejected from a lot of programs.

Note to those folks who may be preparing applications and maybe made the same mistake that I did: ALWAYS submit a writing sample in your area of interest. When I emailed and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future, I was specifically told by most schools there wasn’t anything “wrong” with my application or qualifications, but that  they couldn’t evaluate my ability to succeed in my area of interest because I submitted a writing sample that wasn’t related to my proposed field of study.

Yep, I’m a total idiot. 

What I've heard back from both of my acceptances in regards to LoR - they were incredibly strong, but my WS was the determining factor. The phrase "you come highly recommended" was nice to hear, but that was just one component of the decision. So, personalized is good, but everything has to be good.

What I've heard back from both of my acceptances in regards to LoR - they were incredibly strong, but my WS was the determining factor. The phrase "you come highly recommended" was nice to hear, but that was just one component of the decision. So, personalized is good, but everything has to be good.

Well said. 

I do have a couple of acceptances, yes. I realize that I’m very, very lucky. I think that my LoR’s probably had something to do with acceptances, but I can’t say to what degree.

Bear in mind, though, I’ve also been rejected from a lot of programs.

Note to those folks who may be preparing applications and maybe made the same mistake that I did: ALWAYS submit a writing sample in your area of interest. When I emailed and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future, I was specifically told by most schools there wasn’t anything “wrong” with my application or qualifications, but that  they couldn’t evaluate my ability to succeed in my area of interest because I submitted a writing sample that wasn’t related to my proposed field of study.

Yep, I’m a total idiot. 

My connection between area of interest and writing sample was tenuous, at best. Hence all the use of strikethrough in my signature.

This year is my second round of phd applications, and I have used Interfolio both years for the schools that will accept it, and have asked my recommenders to upload directly for schools that don't (in my experience, most schools DO accept it, and I didn't want to overburden my letter-writers).

Aside from a couple of unfunded MA offers, last year was a wash. This year, I've had one rejection (UT Austin, which does not accept Interfolio, so those letters were submitted directly), and am currently on two waitlists: Chapel Hill (does not accept Interfolio) and CUNY (does accept Interfolio by mail). I have no idea to what extent my recommenders personalized my letters for the schools that don't accept Interfolio, but I do know that the generic Interfolio email was at least good enough to get me on the CUNY waitlist.

Who know what all that ultimately means, but take from it what you will.

Edited by daylate

This year is my second round of phd applications, and I have used Interfolio both years for the schools that will accept it, and have asked my recommenders to upload directly for schools that don't (in my experience, most schools DO accept it, but I didn't want to overburden my letter-writers).

Aside from a couple of unfunded MA offers, last year was a wash. This year, I've had one rejection (UT Austin, which does not accept Interfolio, so those letters were submitted directly), and am currently on two waitlists: Chapel Hill (does not accept Interfolio) and CUNY (does accept Interfolio by mail). I have no idea to what extent my recommenders personalized my letters for the schools that don't accept Interfolio, but I do know that the generic Interfolio email was at least good enough to get me on the CUNY waitlist.

Who know what all that ultimately means, but take from it what you will.

I'm tempted to change my username to dollarshort for you.

Hi All. Thought I'd post this here too (I posted it in the Purdue thread because of, well, its from Purdue). It might help with understanding what exactly goes on in every single department during admittance season:

Edit: I forgot to mention, this is from their DGS.

Did they just send you this out of the blue? Or was this a response to some kind of inquiry on your part?

I'm munching on some king cake.

Got the baby two years running! I'm a damn tyrant!

If I’m being honest, nothing about this post makes sense to me. Haha. However, because it came from BowTies, I’m going to assume it’s both hilarious and brilliant. 

Did they just send you this out of the blue? Or was this a response to some kind of inquiry on your part?

Sorry, ya. I emailed them yesterday to inquire about what was going on. That was the response I received from their DGS.