Fall 2014 applicants??

Question: Why is Rutgers so popular? Is it popular for all disciplines within English or just Victorian Studies? I never really looked at rankings or anything before applying.

To really answer your question, though: Rutgers is one of the very top programs for Victorian and Gender Studies in English literature. That's why I like it (also, I want to grow up to be John Kucich one day). I'm not actually sure how strong it is in other time periods or genres, etc.

When I say out of my area, I mean that my writing sample was a postcolonial analysis of a 20th century work of literature and my area of interest is Modern Film and Cultural Studies. Haha. 

That's a bit perplexing. Why would you *not* choose a writing sample that is at least closer in line with your proposed interests?

That's a bit perplexing. Why would you *not* choose a writing sample that is at least closer in line with your proposed interests?

Long story short, I was initially planning on submitting a chapter of my thesis for my writing sample. However, at the last minute, I ended up having to remove a theoretical framing and changed the entire structure of my argument. I didn’t have time to fix it for my sample and, as it was the only one of high enough quality in my area of interest, it really burned me. On the advice of faculty, I ended up submitting the paper I chose because it’s getting published in a great journal this year. I should have submitted my undergrad thesis from two years ago (which was on film) or a seminar paper, but oh well. What’s done is done. At least I have a couple of acceptances at this point and the option of applying again next year if I decide not to take them. 

Edited by Kamisha

Question: Why is Rutgers so popular? Is it popular for all disciplines within English or just Victorian Studies? I never really looked at rankings or anything before applying.

I applied there because I'm a recovering Victorianist. ;) I was impressed by the resource centers/research groups on campus that were dedicated to Latino Studies and gender issues. There isn't really anyone on the faculty who does exactly what I'm studying right now but it seemed like a place where no matter which sub-field I ended up gravitating toward I would have someone solid to work with. The feel of the school that came across from the research that I did just seemed like a place that I would enjoy and that would facilitate my work.

BowTies, I just realized that we're relatively close to each other--I'm northwest OH. I wondered why our temps were identical haha. 

And yes, not at all too cold for ice cream. No such thing. 

BowTies, I just realized that we're relatively close to each other--I'm northwest OH. I wondered why our temps were identical haha. 

And yes, not at all too cold for ice cream. No such thing. 

We're practically neighbors! I've probably been to your hometown (assuming it's off of  I-75)

As for ice cream and cold... it's ice cream - totally worth it! Gotta eat what the body craves no matter the environment. (though I never crave a pot-pie in August).