Fall 2014 applicants??

Rejected from Princeton while Skyping with my German friend. Well, I decided I would apply to Berlin instead. Not the end of the world, Germany has cute guys. I am surprised I take it so well..... Maybe because it had last too long.

This is a commendable approach to life: go where the cute guys are! It has always served me well.

I want my formal rejections, I really do. I start telling ppl that I am rejected everywhere which include friends family members and colleagues and I am dealing with the " oh I am sorry". I am not calling my parents anymore since they don't have a clue of the process but keep telling me that I am too old to reapply or grad school. I am applying for masters, find out that requirements of low ranked schools are even more complicated than Harvard or Yale, u have to let agencies evaluate your degree or submit original transcripts. Can't afford unfounded MA. Yes I aimed too high this season, but I don't want to change from Ivy to ranking 200+. I guess I would apply to German MA and 1-2 American MA and prepare to retake GRE for fall 2015 phd. Life is hard. I want my rejections as closure so I can move on. I am grateful that I am not depressed anymore. To everyone who also feels unlucky this season: the game is not over, the DGS can reject u, but u can find another way. Best things in life are never easy to get.

I want my formal rejections, I really do. I start telling ppl that I am rejected everywhere which include friends family members and colleagues and I am dealing with the " oh I am sorry". I am not calling my parents anymore since they don't have a clue of the process but keep telling me that I am too old to reapply or grad school. I am applying for masters, find out that requirements of low ranked schools are even more complicated than Harvard or Yale, u have to let agencies evaluate your degree or submit original transcripts. Can't afford unfounded MA. Yes I aimed too high this season, but I don't want to change from Ivy to ranking 200+. I guess I would apply to German MA and 1-2 American MA and prepare to retake GRE for fall 2015 phd. Life is hard. I want my rejections as closure so I can move on. I am grateful that I am not depressed anymore. To everyone who also feels unlucky this season: the game is not over, the DGS can reject u, but u can find another way. Best things in life are never easy to get.

Are you applying to Georg-August in Gottingen? It's an excellent degree in comp lit and will make you very competitive later for PhD programs in the US

This is a commendable approach to life: go where the cute guys are! It has always served me well.

I chose US since there are so many different types from all over the world haha. But they rejected me. So I decided maybe another MA and then phd? Cute guys in US can wait. I need two years to get ready and improve my English lol. I am not sure if living in Europe would improve my English or not, but they do have late deadlines, and I think at least I won't move backwards :) always another way to be happy.

Are you applying to Georg-August in Gottingen? It's an excellent degree in comp lit and will make you very competitive later for PhD programs in the US

Oh, really? I did not know that, thanks for sharing! No I want to apply to Freie Universität Berlin, it has a comparative literature program in German and an English program in English.

Oh, really? I did not know that, thanks for sharing! No I want to apply to Freie Universität Berlin, it has a comparative literature program in German and an English program in English.

Not to plan your life for you, but you know there is a 汉办 at Freie-U, right? You could find a lot of tutoring work with the students there, and perhaps even add a certificate in teaching to your resume. 

Alright, U of Michigan, you are killing me. I see that some people got acceptances, wait listed, and rejected--what the eff is my status? I assume it's a rejection, but can we get this over with already?

Right?! I'm going through the same thing right now. I just want to be rejected everywhere so I can comfortably accept my masters program offer. I am terrified that if I accept it, a random PhD will make it's way out of the shadows and admit me.

I emailed Chicago and asked when to expect results (aka rejections), and they informed me that decisions had been finalized and would be released by the end of this week or early next week at the latest. Obviously acceptances have already been sent out, so what kind of sick pleasure are they really getting from almost 3 weeks of holding on to rejections?

Also, does anyone remember when a poster in this thread shared the response the department had given him after he asked if all acceptances had already been sent out? They told him they accepted in waves and that the first round of admittances had been sent but that they were preparing the next. It does seem to me like this person got 100% bullshitted by the department -- don't you think?

Edited by Nothung

I emailed Chicago and asked when to expect results (aka rejections), and they informed me that decisions had been finalized and would be released by the end of this week or early next week at the latest. Obviously acceptances have already been sent out, so what kind of sick pleasure are they really getting from almost 3 weeks of holding on to rejections?

Also, does anyone remember when a poster in this thread shared the response the department had given him after he asked if all acceptances had already been sent out? They told him they accepted in waves and that the first round of admittances had been sent but that they were preparing the next. It does seem to me like this person got 100% bullshitted by the department -- don't you think?

Not necessarily. I mean, this could be round two. They made decisions. Could be final decisions. Any one know what is up with Irvine? I'm thinking implied rejection, but haven't seen any wait lists up yet.

Thanks for doing that. I'm waiting on them too. The longer it takes for me to get rejected from some of these places, the more frustrated I get with this whole process. They have to know by NOW that they aren't going to accept me. What's taking so long?

Well. that's good to know. At this point I just want to hear back from the rest of my schools so I can make a decision and start getting ready to move. Admittedly, the once acceptance I have is definitely one of my top choices, so that's really changed my perspective on things.

Not necessarily. I mean, this could be round two. They made decisions. Could be final decisions. Any one know what is up with Irvine? I'm thinking implied rejection, but haven't seen any wait lists up yet.

I was offered admission at UC Irvine earlier this month, around the 7th. I remember the DGS saying that they offered three other applicants admission, but I'm not sure if he meant just three in my field or for the whole program (I think I was my field). I know the open house is next weekend, so if they have anymore offers to make, they'll need to do so very soon.

Hope this helps. My fingers are crossed for you!

To any of the Boulder waitlisters--did the department email you without prompting, or did you have to ask for your status to find out that you were waitlisted? I just want to know where I stand! :unsure:

Ditto

To any of the Boulder waitlisters--did the department email you without prompting, or did you have to ask for your status to find out that you were waitlisted? I just want to know where I stand!  :unsure:

Double ditto. I emailed their DGS Monday and haven't heard anything back...