Fall 2014 applicants??

In at Boston University! I just had the most pleasant phone call with the DGS. They're accepting 5, fully-funded candidates this year. Wait list notifications will be sent out within the next few days.

Haha oh damn. Looking forward to that rejection already. Congratulations! That's amazing :)

In at Boston University! I just had the most pleasant phone call with the DGS. They're accepting 5, fully-funded candidates this year. Wait list notifications will be sent out within the next few days. 

Congratulations! That’s so wonderful! 

Congratulations!

I really don't know why I applied there.  I really thought I had little shot because of their  preference for people without M.A.'s -- and just their being Boston University, too.  

But I went for it.

I also didn't know that they only let in five, but that, too, is pretty few acceptances/admits to bank on. 

No upvotes left but YAY!!! Your good news is my good news! ICE CREAM FOR EVERYONE!!! :D

Where I live, it’s too cold for Ice Cream. As a result, I’m feeling extra envious. Hot cocoa it is. 

really? is there such a think as too cold? although i've been told i eat ice cream at inopportune times (climates?). in the dead of winter, while visiting a friend in boston, i made her take me for ice cream. YOMMM

Why? One does not simply leave ben & jerry's ice cream in the freezer...  NOM NOM NOM!

it's only a temporary reprieve i assure you.

Hold up. Too cold for Ice cream? 

bfcVqto.jpg?1

That's where I am. Temps in Fahrenheit.

yes. exactly. still looks good to me.

Also an amazing alliteration aficionado. ;)

You win. Everything. 

Congrats!!

Question: Why is Rutgers so popular? Is it popular for all disciplines within English or just Victorian Studies? I never really looked at rankings or anything before applying.

A few of my undergraduate mentors did their PhDs at Rutgers-- one being a Victorianist who was mentored by George Levine. To echo some of the other posts, Victorian Lit. and Gender Studies seem to be incredibly strong components of Rutgers English.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think we can call it an Implied Rejection (from Rutgers) until more acceptances go up on the results board and some time passes from the time/date of those acceptances.  Like 24-36 hours from when you start seeing 3-5 acceptances up.  

They could be just slowly working through a list?

I hope you're right about Rutgers, purpleperson! Fingers crossed.

I see you're still waiting on Temple-- I am too. I haven't really heard much chatter about them on these boards though.

I hope you're right about Rutgers, purpleperson! Fingers crossed.

I see you're still waiting on Temple-- I am too. I haven't really heard much chatter about them on these boards though.

I emailed the DGS at Temple yesterday, and he said the committee was meeting late this week to finalize decisions and that he would be contacting admits early next week.  So...we will know soon!  I'd love to get in at Temple.  I certainly feel like I have a better shot at Temple than at Rutgers.  But they're both tough.  Good luck to you!!  Fingers crossed for you as well.  

I emailed the DGS at Temple yesterday, and he said the committee was meeting late this week to finalize decisions and that he would be contacting admits early next week.  So...we will know soon!  I'd love to get in at Temple.  I certainly feel like I have a better shot at Temple than at Rutgers.  But they're both tough.  Good luck to you!!  Fingers crossed for you as well.  

AH that's exciting that we'll hear soon. I'm surprised I haven't really seen anyone else mention Temple in their signature or posts-- they've been on my radar for a couple of years now. My fingers are crossed for you and I'm sending lots of good luck your way! Personally, I feel the same about myself in regards to having a better shot at Temple than Rutgers, but would be equally happy with either department.

Hey, you list all of your stats in your signature, except your acceptance-- if you don't mind me asking, where'd ya get in? And congrats! I'm currently wait listed at UConn and have two rejections under my belt.  :wacko:

In at University of Indiana-Bloomington. They're shooting for a cohort of 10.

Did you seriously just get two acceptances in one day? Congratulations! 

Also, pass some of that my way. 

Thanks! Yeah, both caught me super off guard. I had just sat down at a bar to read when Indiana called.

"I had sat down at a bar to read when Indiana called." 

I cannot think of a more beautiful way to have been accepted anywhere. Have a beer, pretend I bought it for you*. 

*Note: I only buy people craft beers. Extra points if it's an IPA. 

"I had sat down at a bar to read when Indiana called." 

I cannot think of a more beautiful way to have been accepted anywhere. Have a beer, pretend I bought it for you*. 

*Note: I only buy people craft beers. Extra points if it's an IPA. 

Extra points if it's Hop Slam or Two Hearted. 

AH that's exciting that we'll hear soon. I'm surprised I haven't really seen anyone else mention Temple in their signature or posts-- they've been on my radar for a couple of years now. My fingers are crossed for you and I'm sending lots of good luck your way! Personally, I feel the same about myself in regards to having a better shot at Temple than Rutgers, but would be equally happy with either department.

Hey, you list all of your stats in your signature, except your acceptance-- if you don't mind me asking, where'd ya get in? And congrats! I'm currently wait listed at UConn and have two rejections under my belt.  :wacko:

The reason I don't list my acceptance is that I'm paranoid about lurkers who are administrators or people who have some connection to the schools.  I don't want to be identified by the school where I got in.  It doesn't matter if I'm identified by schools that have rejected me, of course.  Since schools reject tons of people (100s, 200s or 300s), it'd be very difficult to identify individuals in that category.  But they only let in a handful, so it's feasible that they could put some things together and figure out who you are.  

That said, I'll PM you my acceptance school.  And I have, in fact, stated where I was accepted, but it's pages and pages back by now, and I feel safe with it being way back there.  It was only after I posted it the first time that I decided to be more discreet/careful.  

Temple has been on my radar for a while, too.  This is my first year applying to Ph.D. programs or really to grad school at all.   (I kind of don't count when I applied for my M.A., because I only applied to one school, the same school where I did my B.A., and for whatever reason, I didn't care whether I got in or not.  I put the application in on February 1st (since it was my B.A. school, I was able to deliver a lot of things in person) and literally didn't think of it again until February 22nd when I got a call and was accepted.  (I wish I had that same kind of nonchalance for Ph.D. program applying.)

Anyway, even though this is my first year applying, I sort of "thought about it" and did preliminary research about three or four different times between late 2011 and early 2013.  Temple was always a school I was interested in, for various things -- I'd thought about doing an MFA in creative writing; I'd thought about switching disciplines to Sociology; I'd thought about a lot of different fields.  I like Philadelphia a lot, and I just get this sense that I would enjoy a school the size of Temple.

I hope you get in and I hope I get in!  It's a good sign that we don't hear of tons of people applying there.  Maybe that means the applicant pool isn't crazy huge.  

Bells. I am so with you. Oberon is amazing as well. 

Oberon is an entirely different beast when had from the keg. I never cared much for the bottles of it but in a keg that stuff is what dreams are made of. 

I'm lucky enough to live in a town with a very good (but obscure) brewery. I get to have galaxy IPAs and Citra IPAs all the time. 

512 IPA. IMO, Texas's best IPA!

I haven't many Texan beers. I'll have to give it a try.

P.S.

National Pop Culture Conf. has a beer panel this year. anyone going to Chicago? eh eh?

I was signed up to present at PCA but ended up dropping out--decided it wasn't worth the time even though I enjoyed myself there last year. I presented on memory and culture in 2013 and would've been on a film panel talking about Batman this year. 

The reason I don't list my acceptance is that I'm paranoid about lurkers who are administrators or people who have some connection to the schools.  I don't want to be identified by the school where I got in.  It doesn't matter if I'm identified by schools that have rejected me, of course.  Since schools reject tons of people (100s, 200s or 300s), it'd be very difficult to identify individuals in that category.  But they only let in a handful, so it's feasible that they could put some things together and figure out who you are.  

That said, I'll PM you my acceptance school.  And I have, in fact, stated where I was accepted, but it's pages and pages back by now, and I feel safe with it being way back there.  It was only after I posted it the first time that I decided to be more discreet/careful.  

Temple has been on my radar for a while, too.  This is my first year applying to Ph.D. programs or really to grad school at all.   (I kind of don't count when I applied for my M.A., because I only applied to one school, the same school where I did my B.A., and for whatever reason, I didn't care whether I got in or not.  I put the application in on February 1st (since it was my B.A. school, I was able to deliver a lot of things in person) and literally didn't think of it again until February 22nd when I got a call and was accepted.  (I wish I had that same kind of nonchalance for Ph.D. program applying.)

Anyway, even though this is my first year applying, I sort of "thought about it" and did preliminary research about three or four different times between late 2011 and early 2013.  Temple was always a school I was interested in, for various things -- I'd thought about doing an MFA in creative writing; I'd thought about switching disciplines to Sociology; I'd thought about a lot of different fields.  I like Philadelphia a lot, and I just get this sense that I would enjoy a school the size of Temple.

I hope you get in and I hope I get in!  It's a good sign that we don't hear of tons of people applying there.  Maybe that means the applicant pool isn't crazy huge.  

Totally valid reason! I was curious because we applied to a couple of the same schools (Fordham, Rutgers, and Temple), so I was wondering if your acceptance was another north eastern region school-- though I see you branched out of the north east more than I did with my applications! So definitely feel free to PM me. Hopefully we'll both hear good news from Temple and then we will have even more to talk about.  :) 

It's my first time around too. When I applied to my MA program I just took a shot and only applied to one school in NYC and got in, so that was a pretty stress-free and nonchalant experience. I wasn't even confident that I'd get in, yet I didn't stress or compulsively check e-mail like I'm doing now. I think I just figured my backup plan would just apply to the MA program at the school where I did my BA since they have more of a rolling admissions process.

I echo your sentiments on Philadelphia! I also feel like I would be a good fit at Temple in terms of research interests, but hey, who am I to decide.  :P

Totally valid reason! I was curious because we applied to a couple of the same schools (Fordham, Rutgers, and Temple), so I was wondering if your acceptance was another north eastern region school-- though I see you branched out of the north east more than I did with my applications! So definitely feel free to PM me. Hopefully we'll both hear good news from Temple and then we will have even more to talk about.  :) 

It's my first time around too. When I applied to my MA program I just took a shot and only applied to one school in NYC and got in, so that was a pretty stress-free and nonchalant experience. I wasn't even confident that I'd get in, yet I didn't stress or compulsively check e-mail like I'm doing now. I think I just figured my backup plan would just apply to the MA program at the school where I did my BA since they have more of a rolling admissions process.

I echo your sentiments on Philadelphia! I also feel like I would be a good fit at Temple in terms of research interests, but hey, who am I to decide.  :P

There is a female professor (who I'm sure is on the adcomm) in the English department at Temple who is heavily focused on the very author (and his works) that I submitted my writing sample on.  One of my LOR writers also says he knows this woman personally and is good friends with her.  So I'm hoping she likes my writing sample because of it being on that author, and that my LOR writer's acquaintance with her gives me a boost!  

I also have this weird hope that I have luck with Temple on the grounds that they were pretty impersonal with me during the application process when I asked a few questions over email.  (It's silly, but I've found that some of the schools that were most courteous and helpful with me also axed me readily -- Loyola U Chicago was sooo incredibly sweet, as was Northwestern and Ohio State.  Hence, I'm hoping for some opposite effect wherein the school who was impersonal and sort of curt in answering questions will admit me!)   Silly...I know.  

(I show all sorts of signs of desperation and absurd logic.) 

Again, I hope we get into Temple.  Would be excellent!!!

There is a female professor (who I'm sure is on the adcomm) in the English department at Temple who is heavily focused on the very author (and his works) that I submitted my writing sample on.  One of my LOR writers also says he knows this woman personally and is good friends with her.  So I'm hoping she likes my writing sample because of it being on that author, and that my LOR writer's acquaintance with her gives me a boost!  

I also have this weird hope that I have luck with Temple on the grounds that they were pretty impersonal with me during the application process when I asked a few questions over email.  (It's silly, but I've found that some of the schools that were most courteous and helpful with me also axed me readily -- Loyola U Chicago was sooo incredibly sweet, as was Northwestern and Ohio State.  Hence, I'm hoping for some opposite effect wherein the school who was impersonal and sort of curt in answering questions will admit me!)   Silly...I know.  

(I show all sorts of signs of desperation and absurd logic.) 

Again, I hope we get into Temple.  Would be excellent!!!

That *definitely* sounds like a boost-- but give yourself credit, it's because of your awesome research being a good fit (though LOR writers having connections is always a great thing :D ).

I only had personal contact with two departments and was beyond floored by how nice and personable they were-- they did initiate contact though, as I'm petrified to inquire on my own! I like your rationalization of the correspondences-- it reminds me of the dreams I was having about acceptances and rejections and how I was trying to analyze whether they were going to be true or the reverse of what would actual happen (one school I had two dreams, one rejection and one acceptance-- ended up being a rejection in *real* life).

Now I'm way too anxious/excited/hopeful about Temple! I'm rooting for us! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  Check your messages.