Fall 2014 applicants??

Did anyone applied to a Spanish program? I know I'm in the wrong forum but the languages one is dead. This year, the programs have been taking longer to decide and just a few rejections and admittances have been posted in the results board. Any info is appreciated.

I applied to mostly Spanish programs. Our only shared application is to Pitt, but I've heard from 5/9 I applied to. I have an old classmate that heard back from Chicago, though

Right...so what would you do? Reopen the discussion? Do you think fit could be adequately expressed via other parts of the application, or do you think the LoRs are pretty central to that whole thing?

I honestly have no clue. It might depend from department to department? I’m definitely no expert on any of this.

i second kamisha as to being no expert (although her advice generally seems spot on) but my advisors told me that my "holy 3" for applications were the writing sample, the SOP, and my LoR. All three wanted to see my writing sample and my SOP before they wrote their letters. They all also asked that if I was changing my focus (how I was selling myself to a particular program) that I give them a head's up so they could do the same in their letters. Looking back I'm seeing that the places that I didn't get into were either the places that are stupid competitive (like, not a fart's chance in a windstorm competitive) or they were places that by the time I got to them, I was exhausted from the quarter and the previous applications and didn't do as graceful a job at telling them why I was a good fit.

Take this with a grain of salt since I was not accepted in to a top 10: I want to interject and say that my writing sample was not necessarily in my area, unless you include my methodology/theoretical lens, or the way that I "read" literature. My writing sample centered around a different time period, genre, and national literature. I would suggest that one err on the side of overlap (at the very least) with one's area of concentration, but I don't think that hurt my chances too much. I would say to go with your strongest sample if it isn't incredibly far off from your area of concentration. Again, I have no insight into how this process works, and this is just the opinion of an anonymous person online. 

Note to those folks who may be preparing applications and maybe made the same mistake that I did: ALWAYS submit a writing sample in your area of interest. When I emailed and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future, I was specifically told by most schools there wasn’t anything “wrong” with my application or qualifications, but that  they couldn’t evaluate my ability to succeed in my area of interest because I submitted a writing sample that wasn’t related to my proposed field of study.

I do have a couple of acceptances, yes. I realize that I’m very, very lucky. I think that my LoR’s probably had something to do with acceptances, but I can’t say to what degree.

Bear in mind, though, I’ve also been rejected from a lot of programs.

Note to those folks who may be preparing applications and maybe made the same mistake that I did: ALWAYS submit a writing sample in your area of interest. When I emailed and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future, I was specifically told by most schools there wasn’t anything “wrong” with my application or qualifications, but that  they couldn’t evaluate my ability to succeed in my area of interest because I submitted a writing sample that wasn’t related to my proposed field of study.

Yep, I’m a total idiot. 

I will see your total idiot and raise you some complete stupidity. In the applications I submitted to Princeton and Rutgers I completely forgot to include the paragraph where I talk about why I want to go there specifically and which professors I want to work with and why....because that's the cool thing to do when applying to top tier programs. I have no idea how I missed that.  :blink:

Though be prepared for people you speak with the think you're rather full of yourself until you have some good news on the table ("Wow, you applied there... and there?" * cue eyebrow raising*)

this. all day every day. i'm not actually arrogant (or delusional), just on the old side for a phd applicant and needed to just do the damn thing.

Honestly, if I don't get a response (rejection or otherwise) by the end of May, I'm going to email asking for my money back. I know I probably won't get it, but I paid for a timely response (any time before April 15th), and just because they don't want me doesn't mean they can be disrespectful and waste my money. 

I totally get this. I definitely received two rejections on and after April 15, and was perturbed. But before you send out any email demands, just remember that that DGS or graduate coordinator could very well be sitting on a hiring committee for your dream job in five years time.

Still, it does suck that we hold so little power in this whole process. 

damn+the+man.gif

Nyctophile, is your Rutgers strike through an implied rejection, or did you actually hear back?

It's implied. I got sick of waiting for them to do it. i was having a drama queen day yesterday, felt lower than snail stomachs. for some reason crossing off the rest of my schools from my signature made me feel better?  :rolleyes:

I totally get this. I definitely received two rejections on and after April 15, and was perturbed. But before you send out any email demands, just remember that that DGS or graduate coordinator could very well be sitting on a hiring committee for your dream job in five years time.

Still, it does suck that we hold so little power in this whole process. 

damn+the+man.gif

I love your gifs. Lucas!

12 applications

1 acceptance

1 implied rejection

3 in the air

I'm so jittery I can't even focus on my thesis... HELLLPPP :wacko:

Same problem here. But I am just so determined to GET IT DONE and focus on my visits and decisions. You have one acceptance so relax and just... well, "let it flow" :)

I wish I had a non-gross apartment bathtub that I actually felt sanitary bathing in...

Pretty much anything by LUSH will make your life better. I highly recommend their soaps or shower gels. I miss their emotibombs (for use in the shower).

Pretty much anything by LUSH will make your life better. I highly recommend their soaps or shower gels. I miss their emotibombs (for use in the shower).

Oh Lush.. I could drop some serious money there if I had any money to drop. 

Haha nooo at least you have an extra lifeline! Much better than flat out rejection! And telling you that you are extremely competitive is an awesome sign. I'm guessing it's not a guarantee but that you have a good shot. I really hope you make it. And funded, that is what would be amazing for you!

No the MA at Rochester would be unfounded, although sometimes they help with tuition (50%) if you are exceptional. It said we cannot offer you a position in the PhD, but "I have, however, been authorized to invite you to apply to the MA"....I don't know how to read that at all. "Authorized" makes me thing they liked me at least a little, but then "apply" just makes me think it's a normal email to send to rejected applicants. Lol.

I got the same exact email about five minutes ago & I also wasn't sure how to interpret it . . . that "authorize" makes me feel special, but then the fact that it is a form email asking me to apply makes me think that it probably gets sent to all candidates rejected from the PhD program. Very conflicted & confused about what it means.

I got the same exact email about five minutes ago & I also wasn't sure how to interpret it . . . that "authorize" makes me feel special, but then the fact that it is a form email asking me to apply makes me think that it probably gets sent to all candidates rejected from the PhD program. Very conflicted & confused about what it means.

I wish they would just come out and say what they mean; seriously, it cannot be that hard. I do it all the time, Like hey, this process is total shit and I hate it.

See? Not that hard, schools.

Take this with a grain of salt since I was not accepted in to a top 10: I want to interject and say that my writing sample was not necessarily in my area, unless you include my methodology/theoretical lens, or the way that I "read" literature. My writing sample centered around a different time period, genre, and national literature. I would suggest that one err on the side of overlap (at the very least) with one's area of concentration, but I don't think that hurt my chances too much. I would say to go with your strongest sample if it isn't incredibly far off from your area of concentration. Again, I have no insight into how this process works, and this is just the opinion of an anonymous person online. 

When I say out of my area, I mean that my writing sample was a postcolonial analysis of a 20th century work of literature and my area of interest is Modern Film and Cultural Studies. Haha. 

I will see your total idiot and raise you some complete stupidity. In the applications I submitted to Princeton and Rutgers I completely forgot to include the paragraph where I talk about why I want to go there specifically and which professors I want to work with and why....because that's the cool thing to do when applying to top tier programs. I have no idea how I missed that.  :blink:

Haha oh man...that does suck. I think we’ve all made those mistakes. That’s why I’ve adopted a new policy of not looking over my materials anymore. Haha.

I wish I had a non-gross apartment bathtub that I actually felt sanitary bathing in...

Kamisha, if you can afford Lush you should throw some cash my way ;] My new weekly budget is $30 (excluding gas). Yay, piss-poor MA stipend! 

Oh Lush.. I could drop some serious money there if I had any money to drop. 

There's always this alternative. http://levelnaturals.com/shop/shower-bomb-4-pack/

That sounds glorious and better than my method of standing over my tea kettle while brewing peppermint tea. 

Lush lovers unite! If I could, I would happily ship all of you bath bombs.