Fall 2014 applicants??

Thanks for the update. I've been waiting to hear from them. I was expecting rejection since I saw acceptances go up almost two weeks, but now I'm gonna have to compulsively check the mail...

I've found their program kind of hard to interact with. Wait times are usually pretty high on emails. They actually called me a month ago to ask a question about my application, but then never followed up on email, so I didn't see it until a week later... This is the modern age; phones aren't for talking to people anymore. :P

I had really hoped Rutgers would notify today.  Darn!

I have only four schools left. 

Two are extreme, extreme long shots, and the other two are just extreme long shots. 

Rutgers is the only one I expect to hear from this week.  Well, not so much hear from, but see other people's acceptances on the Results Boad and thus get my implicit rejection.

The other three schools, from what I've gathered on here or have gleaned myself, will be notifying next week or the week after.

You know what's the worst? I'll tell you.

Writing 8 additional pages on a course paper to use it in applying for PhD programs, and then having to cut 10 pages of that same paper to apply to MA programs when PhD programs seem to think that's where you belong, anyway. SMH.

You know what's the worst? I'll tell you.

Writing 8 additional pages on a course paper to use it in applying for PhD programs, and then having to cut 10 pages of that same paper to apply to MA programs when PhD programs seem to think that's where you belong, anyway. SMH.

Totally been there.  :(

I’ve admittedly been a bit AWOL from my University for the last two weeks (I’m thankfully writing my thesis right now, so I’m not tied to my office) just because I haven’t wanted to deal with the “Have you heard from any schools?” comments from colleagues/other grad students and faculty. I finally ventured up to campus today and immediately ran into one of my committee members. He told me, “It’s good to see that the rumors of your demise were greatly exaggerated."

Oops. 

Anyone else feeling the I-Want-To-Avoid-Everyone-And-Their-Questions Blues? 

PS: Who doesn’t love Twain (even when he’s misquoted)? ;)

Edited by Kamisha

I’ve admittedly been a bit AWOL from my University for the last two weeks (I’m thankfully writing my thesis right now, so I’m not tied to my office) just because I haven’t wanted to deal with the “Have you heard from any schools?” comments from colleagues/other grad students and faculty. I finally ventured up to campus today and immediately ran into one of my committee members. He told me, “It’s good to see that the rumors of your demise were greatly exaggerated."

Oops. 

I don't have any Lit. courses this semester b/c it's my last and I need to finish up stupid gen. ed. requirements so I can actually graduate. This means I don't directly see any of my (beloved) Lit. professors unless I need something. Even though I really need to talk to this one professor about signing some paperwork, I keep putting it off because I really can’t handle him asking about applications. :unsure:

I’m seeing more Utah acceptances on the boards! Hooray! If you guys are out there, let me know if you have any questions. I’ve lived in the SLC area my entire life and can try to answer any questions you might have. 

I don't have any Lit. courses this semester b/c it's my last and I need to finish up stupid gen. ed. requirements so I can actually graduate. This means I don't directly see any of my (beloved) Lit. professors unless I need something. Even though I really need to talk to this one professor about signing some paperwork, I keep putting it off because I really can’t handle him asking about applications. :unsure:

That was how I felt after last year.  But it got worse when I finally had to give the "...failed for the third time..." and then, in the fall "...will you write letters for me again?"

Everyone was gracious and super supportive, but it sucked rocks.  I hope you guys don't have to do that.  That was my least favorite part of reapplying.

Oops. 

It's been hard for me because people want to know about acceptances, but also because a lot of people are like, "Oh, you're going to grad school" as though I said I'm moving to the next town or something. Likes it's a done deal. That attitude from others makes it hard to say, "Welllllllll I hardly got in anywhere...."

Oops. 

At school, I'm happy to share my news. But I'm only in my office two days a week, so it's easy to duck questions. But my family is giving me a constant stream of guilt trips that I might be going far away. I've only got one acceptance so far, and it seems as though everyone is rooting for the lose one where I'm possibly waitlisted. I *want* to go very far away, but I can't very well tell them that :/

Oops. 

um, yes. constantly. i'm having to fight the urge to roll my eyes when well meaning people ask me that multiple times in one day. 

Up before dawn doing the homework I had blown off all weekendPlusMonday because I'm mentally exhausted.

I'm not sure if it is the entire waiting process or my recent breakup or the fact that I haven't had hot running water in a month or the fact that I could be homeless in a week.

I can do it though. Right? People have made it through worse situations - I'm clever, I'll figure something out.

That was how I felt after last year.  But it got worse when I finally had to give the "...failed for the third time..." and then, in the fall "...will you write letters for me again?"

Everyone was gracious and super supportive, but it sucked rocks.  I hope you guys don't have to do that.  That was my least favorite part of reapplying.

This is actually one of my fears over reapplying... I don't want to have to ask for those letters again!

Up before dawn doing the homework I had blown off all weekendPlusMonday because I'm mentally exhausted.

I'm not sure if it is the entire waiting process or my recent breakup or the fact that I haven't had hot running water in a month or the fact that I could be homeless in a week.

I can do it though. Right? People have made it through worse situations - I'm clever, I'll figure something out.

Oh no! Do you have any prospects for a new place to live?