Fall 2014 applicants??

Did anyone else read Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher? It’s definitely got its strengths and weaknesses, but one thing that really helped me was his idea of 3-3-3 (that’s my name for it, but I don’t remember what he calls it):

• 3 shoot for the stars schools
  • 3 schools where you feel like you have a decent shot 
  • 3 schools that you feel pretty damn confident you can get into (bearing in mind that there really is no such thing as a safety school)

My mentor broke it down for me like this:

• 3 top-tier schools (though I ended up applying to 14 schools total and top-loading them with about 8 top-tier schools)
  • 3 schools ranked between 25-75
  • 3 schools ranked below 76

My mentor recommended something much different (though one of my letter writers recommended something similar to the above), which I guess might only point to differences in philosophies, goals, and where an applicant happens to just be lifewise at the time of applying. I applied to a lot of schools (+10), but none of them were below #20 if we're going to use USNARW as our basis of ranking evaluation. Our philosophy going in was "There's always next year," meaning if I struck out that round I would regroup and apply again, and again..., if need be. For my goals, there was a bit of an imperative that I give as many "top" schools a shot as possible, which from a financial standpoint meant delaying applying to "lower" programs until then next year if possible.

I don't want to get into a rankings debate, just point out that this system might be a good strategy for some, but there's also nothing wrong with not playing it safe. Though be prepared for people you speak with the think you're rather full of yourself until you have some good news on the table ("Wow, you applied there... and there?" * cue eyebrow raising*)

Edited by jazzy dubois

Sorry, ya. I emailed them yesterday to inquire about what was going on. That was the response I received from their DGS.

Hmm -- I'm wondering if that means anyone who heard nothing Friday has been implicitly rejected then.

Edited by gberry100

This year is my second round of phd applications, and I have used Interfolio both years for the schools that will accept it, and have asked my recommenders to upload directly for schools that don't (in my experience, most schools DO accept it, and I didn't want to overburden my letter-writers).

Aside from a couple of unfunded MA offers, last year was a wash. This year, I've had one rejection (UT Austin, which does not accept Interfolio, so those letters were submitted directly), and am currently on two waitlists: Chapel Hill (does not accept Interfolio) and CUNY (does accept Interfolio by mail). I have no idea to what extent my recommenders personalized my letters for the schools that don't accept Interfolio, but I do know that the generic Interfolio email was at least good enough to get me on the CUNY waitlist.

Who know what all that ultimately means, but take from it what you will.

Cool, thanks!

Despejado, did you hear back from Syracuse???

I wish! DGS told me Friday night that she would get back to me on Monday. Yesterday (the Monday I was waiting desperately for), she emailed me and said she was sorry, but she meant NEXT Monday. So I have a week to sit and wallow in my own uncertainty. I think the original email she sent sounds super optimistic though; I keep showing it to other people in hopes it comes across that way to someone other than just me haha. I see you've gotten an MA offer as well! Congratulations!!!

Dahhhhh waiting like that is terrible isn't it??? Well they are just testing your endurance before they let you in. ;)

And noooo I did not get an MA offer, I got an offer for MA consideration. Haha. Aka do the application stress all over again. I'm hoping it means they liked me at least a little though. Kamisha assures me that I'm amazing though, so at least there's that.

Edited by andrewcycs

...so, Rutgers, it'd be great for you to get back to me so I can pretend to be productive for 2 or so weeks!

Yes! My entire day yesterday was wasted hitting refresh on the results page and on my Rutgers application status page. I'm going crazy waiting to hear back.

Hmm -- I'm wondering if that means anyone who heard nothing Friday has been implicitly rejected then.

Well. I tend to think that, because they are a "rolling admissions" school that there is hope yet because there is no way of knowing what those offers will do. And they have until the 1st of April to tell them! So, it could be mean a rejection, but it feels more like a wait list that's not called a wait list...

Dahhhhh waiting like that is terrible isn't it??? Well they are just testing your endurance before they let you in. ;)

And noooo I did not get an MA offer, I got an offer for MA consideration. Haha. Aka do the application stress all over again. I'm hoping it means they liked me at least a little though. Kamisha assures me that I'm amazing though, so at least there's that.

This is what I am feeling exactly. I keep telling myself that the DGS said "extremely competitive," so that has to be good. Right? Thinking about it actually makes me hate this even more; I almost wish they had just rejected me so I wouldn't feel all this anxiety and (maybe) false hope. It is dumb.

So what about Rochester? Would it be a funded MA? What exactly did the offer say? I want all the details, stat!

My mentor recommended something much different (though one of my letter writers recommended something similar to the above), which I guess might only point to differences in philosophies, goals, and where an applicant happens to just be lifewise at the time of applying. I applied to a lot of schools (+10), but none of them were below #20 if we're going to use USNARW as our basis of ranking evaluation. Our philosophy going in was "There's always next year," meaning if I struck out that round I would regroup and apply again, and again..., if need be. For my goals, there was a bit of an imperative that I give as many "top" schools a shot as possible, which from a financial standpoint meant delaying applying to "lower" programs until then next year if possible.

I don't want to get into a rankings debate, just point out that this system might be a good strategy for some, but there's also nothing wrong with not playing it safe. Though be prepared for people you speak with the think you're rather full of yourself until you have some good news on the table ("Wow, you applied there... and there?" * cue eyebrow raising*)

Same here, the professor who was advising me said to only apply for top programs. Obviously there are a range of opinions on this and people have different priorities, but I was advised that investing six + years in grad school only really made sense career-wise if I got a fully-funded offer from one of the top places in my field.

Haha nooo at least you have an extra lifeline! Much better than flat out rejection! And telling you that you are extremely competitive is an awesome sign. I'm guessing it's not a guarantee but that you have a good shot. I really hope you make it. And funded, that is what would be amazing for you!

No the MA at Rochester would be unfounded, although sometimes they help with tuition (50%) if you are exceptional. It said we cannot offer you a position in the PhD, but "I have, however, been authorized to invite you to apply to the MA"....I don't know how to read that at all. "Authorized" makes me thing they liked me at least a little, but then "apply" just makes me think it's a normal email to send to rejected applicants. Lol.

Haha nooo at least you have an extra lifeline! Much better than flat out rejection! And telling you that you are extremely competitive is an awesome sign. I'm guessing it's not a guarantee but that you have a good shot. I really hope you make it. And funded, that is what would be amazing for you!

No the MA at Rochester would be unfounded, although sometimes they help with tuition (50%) if you are exceptional. It said we cannot offer you a position in the PhD, but "I have, however, been authorized to invite you to apply to the MA"....I don't know how to read that at all. "Authorized" makes me thing they liked me at least a little, but then "apply" just makes me think it's a normal email to send to rejected applicants. Lol.

Well, let's exchange and analyze respective emails, shall we?

Also, are you considering doing the MA if it's not funded at all?

Edited by despejado

Well. I tend to think that, because they are a "rolling admissions" school that there is hope yet because there is no way of knowing what those offers will do. And they have until the 1st of April to tell them! So, it could be mean a rejection, but it feels more like a wait list that's not called a wait list...

Yes I suppose so, though I wonder when they will send out any official rejections. They couldn't possibly wait until April to send any out at all??

Did anyone applied to a Spanish program? I know I'm in the wrong forum but the languages one is dead. This year, the programs have been taking longer to decide and just a few rejections and admittances have been posted in the results board. Any info is appreciated.

Note to those folks who may be preparing applications and maybe made the same mistake that I did: ALWAYS submit a writing sample in your area of interest. When I emailed and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future, I was specifically told by most schools there wasn’t anything “wrong” with my application or qualifications, but that  they couldn’t evaluate my ability to succeed in my area of interest because I submitted a writing sample that wasn’t related to my proposed field of study.

Yeah I also think is probably pretty key. The two programs that I have acceptances from so far are the two that seemed to be most open to my pop culture/television studies interests, and the sample I submitted was directly in line with those interests. Both programs specifically mentioned my sample as an especially significant part of their interest in me. On the other hand, the two programs I've been rejected from so far both are strong in some of my other interests, but I don't think the sample I provided them was quite as strong or connected.

Yes I suppose so, though I wonder when they will send out any official rejections. They couldn't possibly wait until April to send any out at all??

They once rejected me on April 19.  I don't think it's common, but I was kinda pissed.

That sounds like a wonderful idea, Despejado! When I finish class today I will private message you with my email! :)

And yeah I would consider it, because apparently it's only a year long! I could possibly swing the financials if it's only one year. And then I'd be able to apply for PhD's for next season again .

Honestly, if I don't get a response (rejection or otherwise) by the end of May, I'm going to email asking for my money back. I know I probably won't get it, but I paid for a timely response (any time before April 15th), and just because they don't want me doesn't mean they can be disrespectful and waste my money. 

That sounds like a wonderful idea, Despejado! When I finish class today I will private message you with my email! :)

And yeah I would consider it, because apparently it's only a year long! I could possibly swing the financials if it's only one year. And then I'd be able to apply for PhD's for next season again .

I'll go ahead and send you mine in a second and you can get back to me whenever you have a second :)

Also, I just realized Syracuse and Rochester are in the same state. This could work out really well for us! Crossing my fingers about twice as hard now.