Fall 2014 applicants??

Hi.  I'm a long time lurker first time poster.  I noticed that people have already received rejections from Yale, Columbia, and Boston College- I haven't heard back from any of those programs and checking on my application status doesn't show any decision...

Is this happening to anyone else?  Should I contact these programs or sit on my hands?

I was offered admission at UC Irvine earlier this month, around the 7th. I remember the DGS saying that they offered three other applicants admission, but I'm not sure if he meant just three in my field or for the whole program (I think I was my field). I know the open house is next weekend, so if they have anymore offers to make, they'll need to do so very soon.

Hope this helps. My fingers are crossed for you!

Guess that answers that question. LOL

Starting to wonder if Virginia lost my application. Are there others on here still waiting?  I have no expectations, I'm just puzzled as to why I've been left hanging. I thought for sure I'd be included in yesterday's notifications/website updates. It certainly seems like they've made their decisions...

Hi.  I'm a long time lurker first time poster.  I noticed that people have already received rejections from Yale, Columbia, and Boston College- I haven't heard back from any of those programs and checking on my application status doesn't show any decision...

Is this happening to anyone else?  Should I contact these programs or sit on my hands?

I'm in the same boat with Yale and am also debating contacting them. I go back and forth between praying it's a silent wait list and assuming they thought my application was so pathetic that they're not dignifying it with a response.

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one anxious about this! Let us know if you end up contacting anyone.

I'm in the same boat, different schools. The school that notified two weeks ago I emailed, thanking them for their consideration during this busy time of year, and explaining that I wanted to know b/c I'm trying to plan campus visits and need to know if I should include their school. The school that has results up on the boards from only a week ago I'm waiting on b/c they're a big name and I don't want to potentially piss anyone off. Also, I'm not quite ready to hear "no" from them yet. :)

Getting down again about this whole process with one unfunded MA offer, one partially funded MA offer, and one wait list for MA funding. Spent the last two weeks emotionally invested in Olympic figure skating, which effectively distracted me from this. And now I'm feeling the stress and hopelessness again.

When it comes down to it, if I have to, the partially funded offer might be my best bet. It's only a one year program, so I wouldn't be going into as much debt. Still debt, but. Ideally I'll get off the wait list for the funded program, but at this point, I think that's my best shot for good news.

I made such a mistake by applying to so many top tier PhD programs! What was I thinking??

I'm in the same boat with Columbia. I'm pretty sure it's a rejection, but I would like to some certainty.

Not to plan your life for you, but you know there is a 汉办 at Freie-U, right? You could find a lot of tutoring work with the students there, and perhaps even add a certificate in teaching to your resume.

Oh yes, I know 汉办!That sounds great since my BA was in Chinese language and Literature:)

Getting down again about this whole process with one unfunded MA offer, one partially funded MA offer, and one wait list for MA funding. Spent the last two weeks emotionally invested in Olympic figure skating, which effectively distracted me from this. And now I'm feeling the stress and hopelessness again.

When it comes down to it, if I have to, the partially funded offer might be my best bet. It's only a one year program, so I wouldn't be going into as much debt. Still debt, but. Ideally I'll get off the wait list for the funded program, but at this point, I think that's my best shot for good news.

I made such a mistake by applying to so many top tier PhD programs! What was I thinking??

In the same boat. Made some silly decisions when I was applying, but I don't have quite the good news you do, yet.. Still waiting to hear back from Syracuse about a funded MA and submitting an app to Nova tonight. The wait is absolutely demoralizing.

Starting to wonder if Virginia lost my application. Are there others on here still waiting?  I have no expectations, I'm just puzzled as to why I've been left hanging. I thought for sure I'd be included in yesterday's notifications/website updates. It certainly seems like they've made their decisions...

I thought they had lost mine too... I emailed the department to ask about my status and they told me I was on the wait list (the long one  :( ) but they offered my admission to the MA! Maybe you can email them to find out?

In the vein of Kamisha's numerous posts on feel good strategies, I have one specifically geared to us rejectees: simply google English PhD job prospects.

It's the only way I can make myself okay with not continuing in academia, pretending that it would be miserable if I did. :P

For the record, that honestly means nothing to me and would die to continue on!!!

I'm in the same boat with Columbia. I'm pretty sure it's a rejection, but I would like to some certainty.

I'm also in the same situation with Columbia. Both acceptances and rejections have been posted on the boards. Maybe we're waitlisted? I don't know why they would reject in waves.

I'm also in the same situation with Columbia. Both acceptances and rejections have been posted on the boards. Maybe we're waitlisted? I don't know why they would reject in waves.

I just got the Columbia email . . . was not waitlisted . . . they just took their sweet time with these rejections.

I thought they had lost mine too... I emailed the department to ask about my status and they told me I was on the wait list (the long one  :( ) but they offered my admission to the MA! Maybe you can email them to find out?

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will ask them. Who exactly did you email? 

Officially rejected from Columbia. This was where two of my recommenders went. I really felt I had a shot. Damn it. This week has not been kind. 

sorry horb. that was how i felt about stanford. it sucks. wallow for a bit and then try to focus on something else. 

I just got the Columbia email . . . was not waitlisted . . . they just took their sweet time with these rejections.

Hmmm... still nothing! I just want to be able to cross it off the list so I can start making some decisions.

Also, good luck with with Indiana - Bloomington! There's some great folks there. Recently got to meet Scott Herring--such a nice person and so bright.

Hmmm... still nothing! I just want to be able to cross it off the list so I can start making some decisions.

Also, good luck with with Indiana - Bloomington! There's some great folks there. Recently got to meet Scott Herring--such a nice person and so bright.

Thanks for the positive thoughts! I definitely have my fingers crossed, but I'm not too optimistic. I've tasted rejection a little too much this application season to get my hopes up again.

Thanks for the positive thoughts! I definitely have my fingers crossed, but I'm not too optimistic. I've tasted rejection a little too much this application season to get my hopes up again.

It definitely is an emotionally draining process. I'm rooting for a pleasant surprise in your near future. Best of luck!

sorry horb. that was how i felt about stanford. it sucks. wallow for a bit and then try to focus on something else.

Same boat here.

I still did not get my formal rejection from Stanford.

I still heard nothing from Columbia. Rejections have been posted on the board. Maybe they're taking time considering me for MA? Same with NYU. Same with other 3 schools. I feel I can't invest a lot of money and energy in applying MAs if I don't get my phd closure :(

FYI I broke down and emailed Yale Graduate Admissions, and they said decisions are still being made. Wondering if the delay is because I applied to double major...