Fall 2014 applicants??

was accepted to University of Chicago MAPH (rejected from PhD) but I received a full tuition scholarship. I know this program doesn't have a great rep, or at least one as a cash cow. Also concerned about the conservative nature of UChicago. Especially since I want to study radical blackness. My sense is it isn't really a fit. Can anyone speak to this definitively to the political leanings of the program? So far it's my only option. Full tuition makes it a definite contender ( though I'd still have loans if I do it full time.)

I think MAPH with a full-tuition scholarship is worth going.  I did my MA there with about 1/2 tuition funding.  In retrospect, I wouldn't do it again paying any tuition (I had no idea there were funded MA programs and only applied to several tippy top Ph.D. programs. . oh the woes of isolated liberal arts students).  However, I did grow tremendously as a scholar, learned a great deal, and became a much better writer.  I think that the conservatism associated with parts of UC are not applicable to the entire institution.  I found the MAPH core theoretically oriented and driven and found supportive readers for my theoretically informed med/EM work.  If you don't have a more compelling offer, I'd do MAPH with full tuition.  Live in grad housing (it's reasonably priced) and be frugal.  I worked 20 hours a week (albeit I could work from home on my own schedule) and managed to handle that during the admittedly rigorous and grueling MAPH year, and I'm sure you could work some to cover basic living expenses.  As an alum (and debt holder), I regret the cash cow association of the program, but having had the experience, I wholeheartedly endorse it if you're not paying tuition.  I graduated several years ago and am very happy in my current Ph.D. program, but if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Edited to add that I had five offers after MAPH, and I didn't find overall that the degree was undervalued because of its contentiousness in terms of funding.  Since you can put a nice big line on the CV about a full tuition scholarship, that would be even less the case for you.

Edited by lyonessrampant

was accepted to University of Chicago MAPH (rejected from PhD) but I received a full tuition scholarship. I know this program doesn't have a great rep, or at least one as a cash cow. Also concerned about the conservative nature of UChicago. Especially since I want to study radical blackness. My sense is it isn't really a fit. Can anyone speak to this definitively to the political leanings of the program? So far it's my only option. Full tuition makes it a definite contender ( though I'd still have loans if I do it full time.)

A full tuition scholarship is awesome, congratulations! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program since I suspect our interests have a lot of overlap.

Edited by jazzy dubois

I think MAPH with a full-tuition scholarship is worth going.  I did my MA there with about 1/2 tuition funding.  In retrospect, I wouldn't do it again paying any tuition (I had no idea there were funded MA programs and only applied to several tippy top Ph.D. programs. . oh the woes of isolated liberal arts students).  However, I did grow tremendously as a scholar, learned a great deal, and became a much better writer.  I think that the conservatism associated with parts of UC are not applicable to the entire institution.  I found the MAPH core theoretically oriented and driven and found supportive readers for my theoretically informed med/EM work.  If you don't have a more compelling offer, I'd do MAPH with full tuition.  Live in grad housing (it's reasonably priced) and be frugal.  I worked 20 hours a week (albeit I could work from home on my own schedule) and managed to handle that during the admittedly rigorous and grueling MAPH year, and I'm sure you could work some to cover basic living expenses.  As an alum (and debt holder), I regret the cash cow association of the program, but having had the experience, I wholeheartedly endorse it if you're not paying tuition.  I graduated several years ago and am very happy in my current Ph.D. program, but if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Edited to add that I had five offers after MAPH, and I didn't find overall that the degree was undervalued because of its contentiousness in terms of funding.  Since you can put a nice big line on the CV about a full tuition scholarship, that would be even less the case for you.

thanks so much for your response! it's a lot to think about. I still have a chance for PhD so will hold out for that but I'm excited by the possibility of the MAPH!

Hi all,

I'm a current Rochester student, and while we don't really have any inside info on how things work, my sense is that they offer the MA option to people who made the "final pile" but weren't offered PhD admission.  We seem to have about 12-15 MA students each year, and I know for a fact that they don't offer that to all the applicants (I know people who have been straight rejected).  Let me know if you have any questions about the program! 

Thank you so much for this information - even if it is only your "sense" of the situation, and not concretely how it occurs - it still makes me feel better and is much appreciated! I’ve been rejected from four programs this week (and haven’t been accepted to any programs yet) and even this slight suggestion of making it to “the final pile” somewhere makes me feel a whole heck of a lot better about myself!SO THANK YOU!!

(also, thanks for the offer to pick your brain - if I get into the MA program I will definitely do so! I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, and flooding you with all my questions will definitely get me excited about the program, which will only make me super-extra-sad when a rejection comes my way).

Hi, I'm new here. Sorry about not being able to go through this monstrously long thread, since my main focus is in East Asian. I'm wondering has Anyone heard from uw complit? They contacted me for an interview next week, does anyone have any clue about the way they do it?

Just got the email from UCSB, finally the rejections are out!

Hi Nyctophile!

Are you talking about the Comparative Literature program?? Thanks!

Accepted to MA in English at University of Denver! Their website doesn't have a ton of information, and I kind of applied there on a whim at the time, so I'm hoping to find out info about possible funding soon.

Just saw two New Mexico acceptances go up today--congrats to whomever received them! I'm feeling pretty shitty right about now, New Mexico is currently my first choice. Last year they sent emails over the course of a few days, so I'm hoping that's the case with this year as well. 

Anyone familiar with Phi Kappa Phi? I've been invited to admission as a graduate student, but I have no idea if it's worth the $65 fee to join ...

I'm in it. It's the graduate and non-Liberal Arts equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa. It's worth the fee for the CV line and there are actually quite a few discounts (Apple, Dell, car rentals, etc.) that come with membership.

Just saw two New Mexico acceptances go up today--congrats to whomever received them! I'm feeling pretty shitty right about now, New Mexico is currently my first choice. Last year they sent emails over the course of a few days, so I'm hoping that's the case with this year as well. 

Hang in there!  It's the weekend--very easy to think they'll spread it over a few days. *hugs and crosses fingers*

I'm English lit and got invited. Is it ok if you're humanities?

Yes, because Phi Beta Kappa is only for undergraduates and only in the liberal arts. Phi Kappa Phi is for all majors in either four-year undergraduates or any graduate programs. I think certain other votech sorts of things are also excluded, but basically anything a typical research or liberal arts university would have.

Before I spend another 600 dollars on MA application, I really want to hear from other schools. Where are my other rejections? I need them.....NYU, Cornell....

Haven't most deadlines for Fall 2014 for MAs already passed?

Just thought I could add my two cents here. Most European MA programmes have late deadlines. Also, when compared to US MAs, postgraduate programmes in Europe are substantially more affordable. In addition, the study abroad experience certainly brings an appealing touch to CVs. Just in case this helps! :)

Just thought I could add my two cents here. Most European MA programmes have late deadlines. Also, when compared to US MAs, postgraduate programmes in Europe are substantially more affordable. In addition, the study abroad experience certainly brings an appealing touch to CVs. Just in case this helps! :)

Germany has great programs, they start in April and ends in May. They don't require writing samples and recommendation letters which I find weird. Anyway, the tuition is only 300 euro per semester. I pay more for monthly rent. They have great programs in English.