Fall 2014 applicants??

Proflorax--I’m struggling with location, campus culture, and my ability to successfully research what I want at that particular university. I think I could make one or two of those things work, but I don’t think I could do all three. 

Oh well. Yeah, definitely doesn't sound like a good fit, especially if you can't pursue your research interests. (And honestly, location and campus culture were factors for me too. I get it! No reason to put ourselves into a situation that would doom us to unhappiness.)

I'm glad I was able to be helpful! I was browsing Cuse's website earlier to refresh my memory on the program, and they're actually really big on cultural and media studies... Maybe check it out if you do decide to apply again next round? :)

Done! I have 20 schools picked out. Most are on the west coast, but I’m throwing in a couple New York schools. 

Syracuse just emailed me to let me know they don't have funding for me yet, but I'm very near the top of the funding wait list. Wtf, Cuse? They made it sound like they fund all students that attend. I am beyond tired of being taken on a roller coaster ride.

Edited by despejado

Syracuse just emailed me to let me know they don't have funding for me yet, but I'm very near the top of the funding wait list. Wtf, Cuse? They made it sound like they fund all students that attend. I am beyond tired of being taken on a roller coaster ride.

Shhhhhhh. 

It'll all work out. someway or another. just feet up and enjoy the ride.

Shhhhhhh. 

It'll all work out. someway or another. just feet up and enjoy the ride.

Good advice. I was just really excited for about 4 hours, and not so much anymore.

Good advice. I was just really excited for about 4 hours, and not so much anymore.

Be excited! 

You're a bright and wonderful young woman. The world is your oyster. If you don't like shellfish - it's your avocado.  

They want you in Syracuse. They just don't know if they can afford you.  

Look at it this way. Someone read your SOP and your WS. They read your LOR. And then they decided... wow. She has a lot to offer.  Sure, they didn't throw everything your way... and that could be for any number of factors. But it doesn't reflect the type or person or scholar you are. It doesn't make you inferior.

Be excited. dance around.  If funding comes, dance harder. If no funding comes, dancer harder.

I dunno why I'm in this dancing mood... 

Be excited! 

You're a bright and wonderful young woman. The world is your oyster. If you don't like shellfish - it's your avocado.  

They want you in Syracuse. They just don't know if they can afford you.  

Look at it this way. Someone read your SOP and your WS. They read your LOR. And then they decided... wow. She has a lot to offer.  Sure, they didn't throw everything your way... and that could be for any number of factors. But it doesn't reflect the type or person or scholar you are. It doesn't make you inferior.

Be excited. dance around.  If funding comes, dance harder. If no funding comes, dancer harder.

I dunno why I'm in this dancing mood... 

I'm glad there's still hope but they've had me clinging to hope for a long time now. This really did just break part of me. Fingers crossed there are people who turn down the MA offer there, but this felt a lot like rejection.

I'm glad there's still hope but they've had me clinging to hope for a long time now. This really did just break part of me. Fingers crossed there are people who turn down the MA offer there, but this felt a lot like rejection.

I hear you on that. I've been offered unfunded MA spots, and it does essentially feel like a rejection. Wud u consider applying next year, rather than take on all that debt?

I hear you on that. I've been offered unfunded MA spots, and it does essentially feel like a rejection. Wud u consider applying next year, rather than take on all that debt?

I definitely won't take it if there's not funding. They said I'm high on the wait list for funding and said there was a "very good chance" they could offer me an assistantship this year based on previous years. Still, I was expecting an acceptance with funding. More waiting feels like eternity.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Nova as well, so hopefully I won't have to reapply. No matter what, I won't be taking on debt this year.

Despejado, I'm sorry to hear that about the funding. Buttttt, hang in there, still likely you will end up with that funding. I imagine there is lots of people who turn down MA offers……I can understand your being let down. Sheesh, money gets in the way of everything. If only we could all afford education no matter what. 

Hi all:

Can you tell me if this sounds like waitlist to you?

"Thank you for your email. I am sorry to report that the graduate studies committee and the English Department were not able to move your file to the next stage at this point. However, this does not mean your application is being rejected. We hope to have a clearer picture in the next 6 weeks."

Hi all:

Can you tell me if this sounds like waitlist to you?

"Thank you for your email. I am sorry to report that the graduate studies committee and the English Department were not able to move your file to the next stage at this point. However, this does not mean your application is being rejected. We hope to have a clearer picture in the next 6 weeks."

It sounds like maybe you're being waitlisted? As in, it sounds as though they have a crop of people to whom they will send offers and you're in the second sort of 'runner up' batch to whom they will send offers if the first group doesn't take them.

If I were you, I would take it as a good sign. They clearly like you. They did not flat out reject you. So, hang in there!

Also -- was this email from the DGS at Maryland?

Edited by MedievalMadness

It sounds like maybe you're being waitlisted? As in, it sounds as though they have a crop of people to whom they will send offers and you're in the second sort of 'runner up' batch to whom they will send offers if the first group doesn't take them.

If I were you, I would take it as a good sign. They clearly like you. They did not flat out reject you. So, hang in there!

Also -- was this email from the DGS at Maryland?

Medieval Madness,

No, it wasn't from Maryland.  But come to think of it, Maryland is, in fact, a place at which my status is ambiguous.  I've not heard anything from them.  But since I know acceptances have gone out (and because they are such a prestigious school), I've been counting it as an implied rejection.  

The email I quoted above is from GWU!!!  

I'd love to get in off the waitlist -- that'd be cool.  

Anyway, I guess I was concerned because the note does make it sound like I'm in some sort of 'limbo' -- like I might be in a pile of files that are strong and could get offered if first rounders and/or second rounders choose to go elsewhere.

But since the word 'waitlist' was not explicitly used, it made me think I might be something less than a waitlist.  Then again, it could be that that school just doesn't like to use the word waitlist, nor call people about them, but rather just have a pile of 'maybe' people.

Thanks for your input!

Have you heard from GWU??

Edited by purpleperson

Medieval Madness,

No, it wasn't from Maryland. But come to think of it, Maryland is, in fact, a place at which my status is ambiguous. I've not heard anything from them. But since I know acceptances have gone out (and because they are such a prestigious school), I've been counting it as an implied rejection.

The email I quoted above is from GWU!!!

I'd love to get in off the waitlist -- that'd be cool.

Anyway, I guess I was concerned because the note does make it sound like I'm in some sort of 'limbo' -- like I might be in a pile of files that are strong and could get offered if first rounders and/or second rounders choose to go elsewhere.

But since the word 'waitlist' was not explicitly used, it made me think I might be something less than a waitlist. Then again, it could be that that school just doesn't like to use the word waitlist, nor call people about them, but rather just have a pile of 'maybe' people.

Thanks for your input!

Have you heard from GWU??

OMFG. No, I haven't heard a peep out of them! I wonder if they've contacted their top candidates. Was the email from JJC?

I'm excited for you that you seem to be on a waitlist! GWU is my top choice and I would love to hear something from them!!

I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING from any schools, and it is driving me a little nuts.

Man, U Chicago has quite an insulting application process. They sent out acceptances on 2/10, told multiple people that more acceptances were to come, and then sat on rejections for an entire month (and counting). What is wrong with them? They ought to be embarrassed.

Man, U Chicago has quite an insulting application process. They sent out acceptances on 2/10, told multiple people that more acceptances were to come, and then sat on rejections for an entire month (and counting). What is wrong with them? They ought to be embarrassed.

Nothung--I want to tend to agree, although I'm not convinced there are no more acceptances. I think, as they don't do a waitlist, they might stagger their acceptances as initial acceptees turn down offers until all spots are filled.

Looking at their results posting from last year, seems to follow a similar pattern--early Feb, a few acceptances. Nothing for a few weeks, then a bunch of reject/MAPH admits, then a bunch of general rejections, with a couple of PhD acceptances scattered in. So perhaps it's not all over yet...

OMFG. No, I haven't heard a peep out of them! I wonder if they've contacted their top candidates. Was the email from JJC?

I'm excited for you that you seem to be on a waitlist! GWU is my top choice and I would love to hear something from them!!

I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING from any schools, and it is driving me a little nuts.

I'm not sure if they've started notifying yet.  I don't see results from them on the results board, but that doesn't mean they haven't started notifying.  That said, they seem like they are really slow in general, so I think it's perfectly plausible that they are STILL belaboring decisions.  You're still in the game.

As for me, yes, I'm excited that I'm not rejected. I 'd feel even more hopeful, though, if she explicitly used the word waitlist.  Not rejected could be a part of just a huge pile of files that aren't rejected but not in the top or middle either.  Who knows!  I'd feel way more comfortable knowing I was on a waitlist, how many else were on it, what position I held on it. 

That said, her saying "we'll have a clearer picture in six weeks" tells me that I could get accepted sometime between now and April 15th, depending on how things with other folks pan out.  I would totally take that.  I'm not too proud to be part of the second or even third choice crop.  lol.

I hope you hear from GWU soon!!

I'm not sure if they've started notifying yet.  I don't see results from them on the results board, but that doesn't mean they haven't started notifying.  That said, they seem like they are really slow in general, so I think it's perfectly plausible that they are STILL belaboring decisions.  You're still in the game.

As for me, yes, I'm excited that I'm not rejected. I 'd feel even more hopeful, though, if she explicitly used the word waitlist.  Not rejected could be a part of just a huge pile of files that aren't rejected but not in the top or middle either.  Who knows!  I'd feel way more comfortable knowing I was on a waitlist, how many else were on it, what position I held on it. 

That said, her saying "we'll have a clearer picture in six weeks" tells me that I could get accepted sometime between now and April 15th, depending on how things with other folks pan out.  I would totally take that.  I'm not too proud to be part of the second or even third choice crop.  lol.

I hope you hear from GWU soon!!

Well, it's good to know that they are starting to contact folks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I have no idea what my chances are. 

Maybe we'll both be going there in the fall!