Fall 2014 applicants??

I have a question about Chicago. Are you just talking about the MAPH or also English PHD? If there's a glitch in the admissions system, that wouldn't affect the acceptances the English Dept sends out directly, right? I'm still hoping against hope that there's a PhD admission in there somewhere.

As for coping: I had a couple of pretty miserable phases when acceptances started rolling in and I didn't get any and then I somehow convinced myself that none of them are gonna work out this year and I'll try again next time. I'm still hoping for the last two but I've gotten to a place where I don't really see it as an option anymore and I'm fine with that. Sorry, that probably doesn't help much. For me it's mostly a head space thing. Mine tells me I don't want to be miserable anymore and then I move into resignation/acceptance stage...

The person who emailed me back just simply told me that she thought there is "a glitch in the application system," her exact words. I know, I'm sorry that that isn't much help. It was not specified as whether it is the PhD or the MAPH or the entire admission system in general. She said "application system" so who knows. I myself applied for MAPH, or maybe the system just messed up for me and me only. Either way she told me the Assistant Dean of Admissions will see if my decision can be released and that if it doesn't show up in 24 hours to contact them again. I've just been refreshing the page nonstop for the past few hours, but nothing yet. 

I was told that decisions are never stated directly on the emails, only emails to notify you to check on the site. I'd rather just know already. I almost wish they could just tell me over the phone..."Oh okay so it says here you're denied." LOL! Man I am being a complete pessimist! I admire your courage to keep on keeping on and trying again for a new cycle though Megeen. Major major MAJOR props to you. I wish I had that type of willpower, but I'm the type that gets so discouraged and too afraid to try again.

But at least I know that if one door closes, another one will open! That's my light at the end of the tunnel that I'm trying to remind myself with.

Edited by gk210

Was that you on the results board? I thought it might be so I raced over here to find out. CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

It was! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm, it's totally making me smile :)

My kitten and I are having the dance party you suggested... Thumbs way up.

Edited by despejado

Has anyone else just not heard anything at all from Boston University? I haven't been accepted, or rejected. It looks like acceptances went out last week, and rejections this past weekend. But I still haven't heard anything!

Has anyone else just not heard anything at all from Boston University? I haven't been accepted, or rejected. It looks like acceptances went out last week, and rejections this past weekend. But I still haven't heard anything!

Same boat as you on that one!

I got a rejection email....I believe it was yesterday. 

I just got into Syracuse's MA! Holy shit. Weight lifted.

Funding info to come, but they try to fund everyone. Woooo!

I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!  That is so freaking amazing!!! Congrats!!!!!  Go buy the biggest piece of cake you can find--one more hurrah of eating feelings, and this time they are good feelings!

The person who emailed me back just simply told me that she thought there is "a glitch in the application system," her exact words. I know, I'm sorry that that isn't much help. It was not specified as whether it is the PhD or the MAPH or the entire admission system in general. She said "application system" so who knows. I myself applied for MAPH, or maybe the system just messed up for me and me only. Either way she told me the Assistant Dean of Admissions will see if my decision can be released and that if it doesn't show up in 24 hours to contact them again. I've just been refreshing the page nonstop for the past few hours, but nothing yet. 

I was told that decisions are never stated directly on the emails, only emails to notify you to check on the site. I'd rather just know already. I almost wish they could just tell me over the phone..."Oh okay so it says here you're denied." LOL! Man I am being a complete pessimist! I admire your courage to keep on keeping on and trying again for a new cycle though Megeen. Major major MAJOR props to you. I wish I had that type of willpower, but I'm the type that gets so discouraged and too afraid to try again.

But at least I know that if one door closes, another one will open! That's my light at the end of the tunnel that I'm trying to remind myself with.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Also, I'm familiar with automatic refresh syndrom. I feel like many of us on this site probably are. ;) Let's keep our fingers crossed (and also thumbs pressed as we do here in Germany) so we won't need to do it all over again next time.

As for the willpower thing. Thank you! ;) I tend to call it stubbornness. I give myself two tries for most things since I'm usually pressed for time the first time around. Also, I look at rejections like they could just be bad luck. We know what the chances are and we also know that not getting in does not necessarily mean that the application portfolio was bad. I'm not trying to convince you to try again, even if it doesn't work out, but it might be worth considering, do you feel you could improve your chances next time around?

Edited by Megeen

Thanks for sharing that info.

Also, I'm familiar with automatic refresh syndrom. I feel like many of us on this site probably are. ;) Let's keep our fingers crossed (and also thumbs pressed as we do here in Germany) so we won't need to do it all over again next time.

As for the willpower thing. Thank you! ;) I tend to call it stubbornness. I give myself two tries for most things since I'm usually pressed for time the first time around. Also, I look at rejections like they could just be bad luck. We know what the chances are and we also know that not getting in does not necessarily mean that the application portfolio was bad. I'm not trying to convince you to try again, even if it doesn't work out, but it might be worth considering, do you feel you could improve your chances next time around?

Probably. I'll take a leaf out of most people's books from here, at least from what they shared, about talking to the department asking what I could possibly fix for the next time around so as to not make the same mistakes. I will take a leaf out of your book as well Megeen, and try, try again. 

Every year I'm told the applicant pool differs...if it's my GRE, I'll re-study ALL over again (although I'd really really REALLY rather not go there again, haha) or if it's my GPA, well, I'm not sure what I can do there (suggestions?), re-fix writing samples (My professor told me they were absolutely CRUCIAL to an application), take on another, better approach to crafting the perfect SOP, and probably look for another job.

I get so many signs every day that I'm meant to do this, and it's beyond just being able to say I have a Masters degree. It isn't really about trying to "avoid the real world" for me either. I want to do this more than anything. This is a way of LIFE now, and I'm committing to it. 

Wow, slow down there, gk. Haha. 

Edited by gk210

First: Despejado: CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second: I still haven't heard from UChicago and my status online hasn't changed. Should I email? I'm also waiting on my UC Irvine rejection and my Harvard rejection. I just want it over with so I can go to Tufts!

SOMEONE EMAIL BU AND FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON

Like maybe there is a wait list??

Holy poop I hope so.

Edit: I just looked. Looks like they've done wait lists in past years, so this is a viable possibility. 

Edited by despejado

First: Despejado: CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second: I still haven't heard from UChicago and my status online hasn't changed. Should I email? I'm also waiting on my UC Irvine rejection and my Harvard rejection. I just want it over with so I can go to Tufts!

I still haven't heard from U Chicago, either. 

I've decided bgguitarist and I have gotten into UChicago. It is only logical! Also: just got invited to Phi Beta Kappa. Is it worth 65 for the cv line?

Wow congrats! I have heard from professors that it is, just because it's so prestigious. 

I've decided bgguitarist and I have gotten into UChicago. It is only logical! Also: just got invited to Phi Beta Kappa. Is it worth 65 for the cv line?

I concur. It's the only logical explanation. 

I joined Phi Beta Kappa, but will not renew membership. I think it's good to have on your CV (and they've got some great scholarships, if you can get them), but not really necessary to maintain membership...

Edit: mixed up my Phi Betas...I joined Phi Beta Phi. d'oh. 

Edited by bgguitarist

Accepted to a school, fully-funded, visited the campus....and really don’t see myself there for five years.

Turn it down or try to stick it out? 

PS: A second congrats do Des because I’m so happy! :) Hooray Syracuse! 

Accepted to a school, fully-funded, visited the campus....and really don’t see myself there for five years.

If this is your only acceptance, really think about what makes you unhappy there. But trust your gut. Talk to your professors/advisors too! If you have more acceptances, test those out too :)

Thank you! I seriously appreciate that :)

Since I know which school you're talking about, I would advise against spending five years there unless you REALLY loved it... which I know you don't. I think it might be a better idea to do UEA (if you can afford to after all) and re-apply for PhDs next year. You'll be more competitive and you'll know what the weaknesses in your apps were. In my logic, this will get you into both a higher ranked school, and one that is in a more desirable location. Does that make sense? Don't make yourself miserable for 5 years if you know that's what you will be. 

Edit: I realize my tone is strong here.. that's not intentional. I have serious respect and love for Kamisha, and this is what I would do/think in this situation.

Edited by despejado

More details needed! Why don't you see yourself there? Why could you see yourself there? 

If this is your only acceptance, really think about what makes you unhappy there. But trust your gut. Talk to your professors/advisors too! If you have more acceptances, test those out too :)

Thank you! I seriously appreciate that :)

Since I know which school you're talking about, I would advise against spending five years there unless you REALLY loved it... which I know you don't. I think it might be a better idea to do UEA (if you can afford to after all) and re-apply for PhDs next year. You'll be more competitive and you'll know what the weaknesses in your apps were. In my logic, this will get you into both a higher ranked school, and one that is in a more desirable location. Does that make sense? Don't make yourself miserable for 5 years if you know that's what you will be. 

Edit: I realize my tone is strong here.. that's not intentional. I have serious respect and love for Kamisha, and this is what I would do/think in this situation.

More details needed! Why don't you see yourself there? Why could you see yourself there? 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! 

Proflorax--I’m struggling with location, campus culture, and my ability to successfully research what I want at that particular university. I think I could make one or two of those things work, but I don’t think I could do all three. 

Despejado is 100% right. I think that’s probably the best plan at this point. I would love to go to UEA if I can swing the funding. If not, I might just adjunct for a year while fixing my writing sample and perfecting my statement of purpose. I needed your blunt opinion, for sure. If I wasn’t out of up votes, I would totally be showing your post some love. Thanks :)

Edit: Waiting would also give me a chance to re-take the Subject Test and expand my options for schools next year. I’ve decided I want to stay on the West Coast and a lot of the “UC’s” require it. 

Edited by Kamisha

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! 

Proflorax--I’m struggling with location, campus culture, and my ability to successfully research what I want at that particular university. I think I could make one or two of those things work, but I don’t think I could do all three. 

Despejado is 100% right. I think that’s probably the best plan at this point. I would love to go to UEA if I can swing the funding. If not, I might just adjunct for a year while fixing my writing sample and perfecting my statement of purpose. I needed your blunt opinion, for sure. If I wasn’t out of up votes, I would totally be showing your post some love. Thanks :)

Edit: Waiting would also give me a chance to re-take the Subject Test and expand my options for schools next year. I’ve decided I want to stay on the West Coast and a lot of the “UC’s” require it. 

I'm glad I was able to be helpful! I was browsing Cuse's website earlier to refresh my memory on the program, and they're actually really big on cultural and media studies... Maybe check it out if you do decide to apply again next round? :)