Fall 2014 applicants??

That's what I was thinking. Then again, just give me my rejection so I can make an informed decision!

Seriously. I didn’t apply to BU, but I’m still waiting on formal responses from four schools and, while I’m confident that they are rejections, I feel like I’m stuck in limbo until I have confirmation. 

Uh oh. A new BU rejection?

Yup. That was mine. Personalized email, received about 20 minutes ago. My app was PhD only, since I already have a MA. I appreciated the tone of the email and that they let me know fairly quickly after those acceptances went up.

"Thank you for your interest in Boston University's graduate program in English. Unfortunately, we cannot admit you into this year's class. We

received approximately 230 applications for our relatively small program and so could not accommodate many qualified candidates. I apologize for the impersonal nature of this email, but the Graduate Admissions Committee and I thought it best to inform applicants of their status as quickly as possible. The Graduate School of the College of Arts and Sciences at Boston University will mail official letters within the next

few weeks. Thank you again for your interest and best wishes."

Mikers, remind me, do you already have an MA too?

I'm completing my MA right now at UNH. Still dumbfounded I got into Duke and UConn but nowhere else. I know how I feel about both programs but just want all the responses so I can make an informed choice.

I'm completing my MA right now at UNH. Still dumbfounded I got into Duke and UConn but nowhere else. I know how I feel about both programs but just want all the responses so I can make an informed choice.

Interesting. Looks like I'll probably be getting another unfunded MA offer or something. Yay?

I bet you're so stoked though. Duke? That's awesome. I would tell you to say hi to Jabari for me, but I doubt he'll still be there next year.

I'm accepted at U Florida! Just got off the phone with the DGS. They are only taking 9 applicants this year, and have over 200 applications. Funding is fairly dismal. They won't pay for me to visit. But, I am eligible for the Kirkland Fellowship because I'm a Victorianist, so that would make a large difference in the funding.

Moments later, I checked my email and discovered I'd been rejected by U Chicago. They didn't offer me an M.A. but I already have one.

Hooray! I've also been accepted to Florida and am pretty excited as I'm also a Victorianist (sub-specializing in children's lit, so Florida is perfect).

Yeah, the thing about funding is disheartening. Financially, I know I can make it fly, it'll just be really tight. *also crosses fingers for Kirkland* I got my phone call from Leah Rosenberg who implied that e-mail acceptances are going out a bit late as they're trying to get us a bit more funding? 

Couldn't wait any longer and called Iowa. They told me via phone that I was rejected and that they already sent out the letter a few days ago (via snail mail, I presume). Damn, I really thought I had a chance here still. 

So, right now I'm wait listed at one place, and I have an unfunded offer at another (with possibly funding to come). This really, really sucks. If you're accepted or wait listed at University of Minnesota, and you're studying in the 18th/19th century lit category, and you know that you're going to decline please do so asap.   

Another day of no contact from any of my schools... sigh.

Hey MM: You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I noticed that you only applied to four schools. Is there a reason you applied to so few schools?

Couldn't wait any longer and called Iowa. They told me via phone that I was rejected and that they already sent out the letter a few days ago (via snail mail, I presume). Damn, I really thought I had a chance here still. 

So, right now I'm wait listed at one place, and I have an unfunded offer at another (with possibly funding to come). This really, really sucks. If you're accepted or wait listed at University of Minnesota, and you're studying in the 18th/19th century lit category, and you know that you're going to decline please do so asap.   

I’m sorry, Bunny :( Sending positive vibes your way. 

On 3/6/2014 at 11:31 AM, proflorax said:

Hey MM: You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I noticed that you only applied to four schools. Is there a reason you applied to so few schools?

Calgary was a last minute ordeal based on encouragement from a professor. I applied only locally (except for Calgary) because my husband and I purchased a condo this last year. So, we agreed that I would apply based on location the first time around. I chose schools nearby based on fit and professors. I was also in a bit of a financial bind due to the aforementioned condo purchase. Lucky for me, my top choice in the country is local!

If I don't get in anywhere this year, then I am going to apply to schools around the country. This will give me time to get funds in order, research more schools, and give us time to pay down our mortgage a bit in case we end up selling or renting the condo later.

So, ultimately, I have a plan in place for the (likely) possibility of not getting into any programs this year. This go-around was just an unfortunate confluence of financial circumstances that were easily mitigated by my desire to get into schools that happen to be local. I would definitely /prefer/ to get into a school this time, but I will be okay if I don't! In a second round of applications, I will likely apply to these same schools as well as others.

I’m sorry, Bunny :( Sending positive vibes your way. 

Thanks. This process just totally sucks. I'm just worried that if I go to a school ranked in the 60s that I won't get a job later. It looks like this school doesn't have particularly good placement rates. The job market is hard enough, so I'm not sure what to do. I don't think I can go through this application process again though. 

Thanks. This process just totally sucks. I'm just worried that if I go to a school ranked in the 60s that I won't get a job later. It looks like this school doesn't have particularly good placement rates. The job market is hard enough, so I'm not sure what to do. I don't think I can go through this application process again though. 

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle. This process is terrible--I hope it all works out for you! Are you waiting on anywhere else? Also, just wanted to say that a school ranked in the 60s is hardly a kiss of death--I can name at least 2 that have 80% placement rates. They might not place you at R1 or ivies, but I think people in general can be a bit too picky when contemplating job placement (I knew someone who complained and complained because he got a TT job at williams college...wanted to slap him!).

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle. This process is terrible--I hope it all works out for you! Are you waiting on anywhere else? Also, just wanted to say that a school ranked in the 60s is hardly a kiss of death--I can name at least 2 that have 80% placement rates. They might not place you at R1 or ivies, but I think people in general can be a bit too picky when contemplating job placement (I knew someone who complained and complained because he got a TT job at williams college...wanted to slap him!).

Thanks, I hope it works out as well. I haven't officially heard word from SUNY Buffalo or Maryland, but since others have I'm assuming they're rejections. 

I'm not too worried that it's ranked in the 60s, nor am I too worried about where I teach afterwards (though I don't want to teach at a community college---already have and hated it). BUT, this particular program doesn't seem to have good placement rates. So, that worries me. 

I'm thinking about getting feedback from the schools so I can at least get a sense of how my application was perceived. Kamisha, didn't you send emails? Any advice on how to phrase them?

I did send emails and have received wonderful feedback as a result. Here’s my template:

Dr. NAME,

Thank you for the opportunity to apply to PROGRAM AND SCHOOL. If a moment in your schedule allows, would it be possible to find out what I might do to become a more competitive applicant in the future?

Thank you sincerely for your time and consideration.

Best,

NAME

I hope that’s helpful in some way!