Fall 2014 applicants??

Accepted to Nova with their Liberal Arts Presidential Fellowship and a tuition waiver. HELL YEAH.

I saw it on the board and was hoping it was you!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

And of course, this is not specific to CC students. My partner teaches at a top university in Indiana, and he had a student once who failed to capitialize a single word. Zero capitlized words in their entire essay! He ended up circling each word, and wrote, "Huh" at the bottom of the first page.

But yes, the environment certainly varies.

Yes, that's true that it is not specific to CC students. I've just had a significantly different experience teaching at a good university compared to a CC. Though, that isn't to say that I didn't have inspiring students at both types of places. 

Yay Des! MA, right? That's crazy exciting.

By the way, I got my Purdue acceptance and made a 2.5 hour to visit my father in the hospital. Woo!

Yes, their MA. I'm still bouncing off the walls. Someone wants to pay me to be a student!

Congratulations AC! That's so wonderful.

Now I look like a TOTAL ASSHOLE because I upvoted your rejection. Ugh.

Well crap. Me too.

I actually took a test that included Freudian slips in Psych class today. Interesting.

Edited by despejado

Couldn't wait any longer and called Iowa. They told me via phone that I was rejected and that they already sent out the letter a few days ago (via snail mail, I presume). Damn, I really thought I had a chance here still. 

So, right now I'm wait listed at one place, and I have an unfunded offer at another (with possibly funding to come). This really, really sucks. If you're accepted or wait listed at University of Minnesota, and you're studying in the 18th/19th century lit category, and you know that you're going to decline please do so asap.    

I thought of you when I took my name off of the waitlist at UMN, Bunny. They seemed really confident they would be able to accept me, so I'm hoping you just moved up to where I was. Being waitlisted at Minnesota certainly seems more promising than being waitlisted at some other schools, so don't give up hope!

Just want to send you some positive vibes too. This is my third round of PhD apps, and I'm presently in the same position I was two years ago-- two wait lists (last time, neither panned out, including one at my dream school). In the meantime, my SO has been pursuing his PhD in the same field, so I feel you. I'm surrounded by friends pursuing what I have not been accepted to do yet and was rejected from the past two years. It's HARD. But you just keep going. You keep trying. You don't let the system beat you down (at least too much . . .). Coming to this site is always oddly uplifting, because we're all going through this together, both good and bad. :)

I admire you so much. A third round requires so much determination and perseverance, that's amazing. I'll be hoping the absolute best for you!!

HOORAY DESPEJADO!!! Best news of the day. I’m thrilled for you!!!! 

Awh thank you Kamisha! I really couldn't be happier. It feels so excellent for something to finally be concrete.

Nyctophile: That gif has completely and totally stolen my heart. I love it.

Edited by despejado

Awh thank you Kamisha! I really couldn't be happier. It feels so excellent to have something finally be concrete.

Nyctophile: That gif has completely and totally stolen my heart. I love it.

You deserve it. You are going to kick SO much ass and then get accepted to every PhD program in the world. 

You deserve it. You are going to kick SO much ass and then get accepted to every PhD program in the world. 

That is the plan! I have absolute faith that we are going to JOINTLY be kicking ass in a few years. Des and Kam v. the World (minus all of my lovely GC friends).

I am going to PM you for advice in a second, if you don't mind :)

That is the plan! I have absolute faith that we are going to JOINTLY be kicking ass in a few years. Des and Kam v. the World (minus all of my lovely GC friends).

I am going to PM you for advice in a second, if you don't mind :)

Of course :)

Des and Kam and Other Awesome GradCafe-ers v. the World...sounds like an excellent graphic novel. :)

Of course :)

Des and Kam and Other Awesome GradCafe-ers v. the World...sounds like an excellent graphic novel. :)

Yes, your version sounds much more inclusive. I like it better.

Who here does graphic design? I think we have a job for you.

Edited by despejado

I hesitated to respond but I know that crappy feeling and I just in general have a difficult time keeping my mouth shut, so here goes!

From my stats this season I have no reason to complain, 3 accepts/2 waitlists and from great schools. However, when I got my Stanford rejection I was incredibly disheartened. It wasn't about wanting one more acceptance, it was about my dream school. I'm really lucky to have the options I do but it has been a long time coming. In high school I worked my butt off b/c I desperately wanted to attend college on the east coast. My over protective parents put an end to that idea and instead I worked my way through a no-name state school. During my last two years of undergrad I went through a hell of a lot of emotional/family crap leading to depression and almost getting kicked out of school for failing grades. I also met my ex-husband (which was its own kind of disaster). That turned into almost 10 years of putting my dreams on the back burner for someone who had no direction (and as it turns out, no morals). Once I saw that there was no saving us I went back to school to get my credential so I would have a means of supporting myself. By this point I had almost completely given up on my dreams of a PhD. I thought no way could I be out of school for so long, with such a lackluster undergrad record and still get into a graduate program. Who would want me? What could I possibly have to offer?

I took some time to just review where I was and what I wanted, what I absolutely had to have. Then I came up with a plan to get there. I knew that I couldn't walk straight into a PhD program, my only chance was to get an MA first and to somehow effing rock it. This would be challenging b/c based on my past academic record, the only place I might get into was another no-name state school. I was so embarrassed, I was supposed to be this great brain and here I was 30, trying to finally do what I should have been doing in my 20s. After meeting with the grad advisor (who was not very optimistic) and figuring out a way that I could be admitted despite my low undergrad gpa I applied and got in. Here I am, three years later having met the cohort of my dreams (they really are like family) and some amazing professors who have my best interests at heart.

The point of all of this is to tell you that a setback is just that. It's a temporary pause. YOU decide how to respond. What do you want? What can you absolutely not live without? Look at how many times I messed up and got in my own damn way! The things that held me back weren't even outside things, they were my own stupid decisions. That Stanford rejection felt like death when I got it but after taking a step back I can see my way again. This is all my long-winded way of saying don't give up. Rejections are the freaking worst, let yourself feel that and don't feel guilty about it. Just know that 1. obstacles can turn into blessings, 2. if you want something you can make it happen. I believe in you. 

If you ever want to vent off-thread, feel free to PM me. Also, if there's anything that I can do to help you if you decide to apply next year, let me know. I feel like I got some incredibly good advice from the professors in my department and it's worked out well for me. Another classmate who has applied this round also got into several great schools, I'd be happy to share the advice we were given.

So glad you didn't keep your mouth shut! You're truly amazing, thank you. It sounds like you've put it all on the line to achieve your dream, and your story really is so inspiring. It gives me so much hope for the future. I can't say how thankful I am for all the kind words from everyone. I'm counting my blessings to have all of you to encourage me, a wonderful significant other and some good programs at which to work my butt off and try again after a kicking ass at an MA. It means so much to come here and have everyone be so positive. It is great when family and friends are supportive, but unless they've gone through the process they don't really quite understand. All of you do, and that makes a world of difference.

I've hit my own rough spots (4 undergraduate universities in 4 years, illness, financial hardship) but I know that I'm lucky to be where I am and that if I do work hard, anything is possible in the future. Thank you so so much for the shoulder to cry on. I'm more inspired than ever to put my head down, get to work and really visualize what I want and how to get there. I know I'm good enough, I just have to do a better job of showing schools that. If I'm completely honest, I know I need to hone my skills a little and an MA program (even if I have to take on a little debt) is probably the best place to do that. 

I won't give up. I promise. I have a note I wrote my father when I was 7 that told him I wanted to be a professor just like him (he teaches at UCSD) and I refuse to let 7-year old me down. Thank you for helping me refocus - I'm going to take this rejection as a reason to work even harder. Time to prove them all wrong.  

A little retail therapy at lunch didn't hurt either. :) <3 you all, truly. Don't know what I'd do without the awesome people here.

Yes, your version sounds much more inclusive. I like it better.

Who here does graphic design? I think we have a job for you.

Absolutely willing to offer my talents here. My job is 90% graphic design and I can't think of two GCers more deserving of a sweet academic superhero comic. Fighting for truth, justice and amazing writing samples.

Absolutely willing to offer my talents here. My job is 90% graphic design and I can't think of two GCers more deserving of a sweet academic superhero comic. Fighting for truth, justice and amazing writing samples.

I'm in love with everything you just said. Especially that last line.. It's all gold.

What is your job, just out of curiosity? I have always been fascinated with graphic design, but I'm horribly ungifted in the creative arts department.